Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New patio w/ BGE Cooking Wall- suggestions? (pic of CAD here)

Options
2»

Comments

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,113
    Options
    NDG said:
    Thanks @xfire_ATX . . . no clue if crew familar with a HUE product, but I clicked the link and I like what it offers.  Looks like it doesnt ship until October?  Our project will be done early Sept . . 
    You dont need work crew for it just have them leave you a plug then you put it in.  Works with same lamps you can have inside.
    https://www2.meethue.com/en-us

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Someone always has a bigger boat. 
    @THEBuckeye for sure, not playing that game !!  So you are in New Albany huh?  My best friend since diapers moved to New Albany last yr, right next to the Owner of HOGGIES BBQs house . . they have been playing around on his BGE trying brisket different ways - I am jealous.  GO BUCKS.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    Options
    @Theophan thanks for the post !!  The top will have rounded overhang, and down below we have a foot rest too . . I thought same thing when I first saw, but the video CAD he presented shows much more detail - thanks!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    Options
    QUESTION:  best way to rest the egg on stone?  Is it using the original ceramic feet? Or just flat flush on stone? Or I saved picture here that shows someone  using small "nest like" legs? see pic - thanks in advance.

Columbus, OH

• AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    Theophan said:
    It all looks great!

One suggestion, though, about those chairs lined up at the cook area: In any bar, restaurant, etc., the counter where the people sit will hang over the sitting area, so the people's knees go under the counter, and they can sit right up "at" the counter.  In your design, it looks like there's no overhang.  If you try sitting at a table with your knees NOT under the table, you'll see that you're too far away from the table to be comfortable.  You can't lean on the table/counter, you have to reach way forward to put something down or pick it up.

If you want people to sit there like sitting at a bar or a counter, I'd strongly suggest making a way for the counter to extend toward the chairs, so people sitting there can get their knees under the counter and be closer to the counter.

Otherwise, WOW, it all looks fantastic!

^^^ This right here, very important, if you are asking opinions.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    NDG said:
    @Theophan thanks for the post !!  The top will have rounded overhang, and down below we have a foot rest too . . I thought same thing when I first saw, but the video CAD he presented shows much more detail - thanks!

I should have read page 2 before posting. I see now you already have this planned.
  • NDG
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @AlbertaEgger wellllll we have a 2" nose that will come out . . but I am worried as this does not provide enough overhang to sit with knees under.  I do not have the budget now for GRANITE, but that seems like the answer as I could do a large slab and have a good 4-5"+ overhang, to really feel like a bar.  I am thinking this might be phase 2 of the project in a few years (remove stone top and add granite) . . . very smart suggestion, wish I could pull it off now but this project includes new trees, landscape, screens, etc so Im outta cash - thanks.
    Columbus, OH

• AlbertaEgger
    edited August 2018
    Options
    NDG said:
    @AlbertaEgger wellllll we have a 2" nose that will come out . . but I am worried as this does not provide enough overhang to sit with knees under.  I do not have the budget now for GRANITE, but that seems like the answer as I could do a large slab and have a good 4-5"+ overhang, to really feel like a bar.  I am thinking this might be phase 2 of the project in a few years (remove stone top and add granite) . . . very smart suggestion, wish I could pull it off now but this project includes new trees, landscape, screens, etc so Im outta cash - thanks.

Might be cheaper alternatives to the granite to replace the stone. I am not sure what type of stone you are using for the top, but an option would also be to use some larger flat stone around the edges with some supports. the larger stones that would be used would not be cheap either. Looks like you have a fairly large project going, that's a lot of work to do and be completed then wishing it had the overhang. I think 8.5"-10" is the minimum overhang one would want.

Either way, looks like it will be a great place to hang out. Look forward to seeing the end results.

• NDG
    Options
    @AlbertaEgger . . yes I agree . . I WANT that overhang . . this forum has a robust history of creating " I WANT " emotions in my head  :o
    Columbus, OH

• NDG
    Options
    NDG said:
    QUESTION:  best way to rest the egg on stone?  Is it using the original ceramic feet? Or just flat flush on stone? Or I saved picture here that shows someone  using small "nest like" legs? see pic - thanks in advance.

UPDATE FYI: looks like this product is called " BGE Table Nest " and I assume it is more stable than ceramic feet.
    Columbus, OH

• Kupkaked
    Kupkaked Posts: 33
    Options
    Yeah, you def want a table nest for your setup. I'd also just put a larger top surface all together. This would add the overhang for true bar seating, and would prevent the possibility of the egg tipping or being knocked backwards off the island. Prob would never happen, but I also think its a more finished look when the egg fits into a nook on the island than a notch... if that makes sense. Just my 2c. 
    Haddon Township, NJ
  • NDG
    Options
    @Kupkaked thanks . . stopping by my BGE retailer today for table stand & smokeware cap (previous could wheel to shelter).  Cant fully enclose, but guys are building back wall behind . . if height matches up and hidden, I might buy strong adhesive foam tape or gasket, and rest back of egg against this for added stability & rigidity 
    Columbus, OH

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    if its sitting on all stone no need for a table nest unless its wood structure underneath then I would get one.  it will make it less stable so if you can get way from it I would.  any pictures of updates?

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    NDG said:
    NDG said:

UPDATE FYI: looks like this product is called " BGE Table Nest " and I assume it is more stable than ceramic feet.
    You will definitely want a table nest!!!!! 

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• jrj3rd
    jrj3rd Posts: 17
    Options
    2 cents.  don't put a cooking device in the middle of your serving bar.  Put both devices off on the wing.  Cooking devices radiate heat and nobody wants to sit next to one.  Use the bar for serving and entertainment.

1 LBGE - 1 KettlePizza - 1 seldom used Weber Summit

• RalphieBoy
    RalphieBoy Posts: 131
    Options
    Room for two more eggs
    Large, Small, Mini Max & Mini.
    Wishlist XXL, XL & Medium 
  • NDG
    Options
    Getting close to finished - loving the space & electrical outlets all over the cooking wall!  I’ll post again once done done.  thanks again for all the help 
    Columbus, OH

• Kent8621
    Options
    that looks amazing.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Looking great so far!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Kevinboatright
    Options
    Looks great! 
    Atlanta, GA 

LBGE, Mini-Max, Mini, 1995 BGE Chiminea, 22" Blackstone, Weber Genesis E-310.