Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some advice.

Looking to smoke a pork butt... but want to serve it the next day. What's the best process for 24 + hour storage and reheating? Want to pull and shred right before serving... thanks in advance for y'all help
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited August 2018
    More than one way to skin a cat.

my preference is reheated in a crockpot with a little apple juice. Good luck. 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    However you decide to reheat, you really want to pull when the initial cook is finished.  Then bag and reheat when ready to serve.  The reheat options are many and hopefully the reheat experts will be along. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Smoke shred reheat crockpot with liquid or sauce 

reheating sous Vide is probably the best
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Leopoldstoch
    Leopoldstoch Posts: 1,182
    Sous vide is IMO the easiest and most sure fire way to have great reheat results.

Brandon - Ohio

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Do you have to pull and shred just before? I would shred it, then chill it. It will re-heat way better.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    As I understand it, you want to pull it off the Egg the day before, but not pull/shred the meat until the next day.

My question on the second half is: why?  Is it just for presentation?  Because I’m really not sure there’s a great way to do that.  In other words, I agree with @lousubcap - it’s best to pull when the cook is done, or say right after pulling it out of the foil from an FTC hold.  But you can’t FTC for 24 hrs.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    I shred when I pull it off.  Then vac seal and sous vide to reheat.

Never shredded a day/days later so cannot comment on that recommendation.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Scantron
    Scantron Posts: 93

+1
    Cooking on a Large Big Green Egg in North Chicagoland.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831

This. But if you don't have sous vide, just heat a pot of water to about 160°ish and put the sealed bag(s) of pork in there. 20-30 minutes should do it. Temp doesn't have to be precise.

Absolutely not a fan of reheating in a crock pot with or without sauce. Dries it out too much. Before bagging it, you might sprinkle some eastern NC vinegar sauce over it, mix it in, then bag and seal. Adds a little moisture for the reheat.

I have tried a bunch of reheat methods and IMO, this is by far the best.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166
    I food saver in big chunks and shred after reheating. Pork tends to dry out so fast after shredding that I figure I’m losing something in the time it takes to shred and seal. I could be off base but that’s my logic none the less.