Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Offset brisket cook

Options
Have my heavily modified Smoking Joe cranking out at the lake this morning. Put a 10# trimmed weight angus brisket from RD on at 7:30. Heavy bevraging delayed my wake up. Used mostly 50/50 kosher salt/cracked black pepper and some Holy Cow to coat it. Had some chefs snacks from the trimmings for lunch, rub combo tastes on point.

Used a chimney full of Rockwood and half the basket full of unlit coals to get it going, and been feeding it oak and hickory splits as needed to keep it around 275 at grate level. 

Sitting at about 5 hours now after flipping to fat side down to get an even bark formation. Will wrap and toss in the oven around hour 7 or 8 after I get to the color I want.  Maybe eat at 6, but we’ll see when it is jiggling. 

Serving with dressed up Bush’s beans. I sauté a diced onion and bacon in the cast iron, then add the beans and put it in the smoker to finish. Then toss in brisket pieces left on the cutting board before serving. Also having hush puppies and corn. 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,478
    Options
    Nothing like messing with the sticks and the requisite adult supervisory beverages.  Enjoy the remainder of cook and follow-on eats.  Don't be surprised if it crosses the finish-line earlier than you expect. 
    Curious about the oven step you mention above. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CarolinaQ
    Options
    Yeah this thing isn’t the most efficient cooker and want to be able to get out on the boat and not feel like I need to keep coming back to keep the temp up. A Klose cooker it is not, but for $120 from Lowe’s and $20 worth of modification materials it turns out some good Q. The large BGE at home spoils me. 
  • CarolinaQ
    Options
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,852
    Options
    Looks awesome. A fun day for sure. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX