Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Restaurant recommendations, Highlands and Blowing Rock, NC, Indianapolis, Nashville. Rally content!

We have the chance to participate in another Crown Rally.  We will be heading from Chicago to Indianapolis to Nashville over a two day period of amazing back roads. Then we will be heading to NC for a couple of days of mountain roads. Looking for some recommendations for some restaurants.  We like all kinds of food from Hattie B's to the St Elmo's.  Any cool spots worth checking out?

Feature of last years South Rally.

http://https//youtu.be/fJw2TQvJuTQ

Finishing in downtown Chicago for CR6 earlier this year.

Edina, MN

Comments

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Paoletti and Wolfgang’s in Highlands are both very good.  Paoletti is my favorite but pricey.  Also Ugly Dog is a pretty good pub/bar with a decent menu for hamburgers and such.  They sometimes have live music.   Sounds like a great trip - have fun and be careful on those NC mountain roads.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Chief9
    Chief9 Posts: 141
    Knights in blowing rock used to be good
    Carrollton, Va
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    edited August 2018
    A great little tamale place in Indy

http://thetamaleplace.com/

Also a GREAT deli! 

https://shapiros.com/
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• kersh13
    kersh13 Posts: 23
    Nashville - 

- Martin's BBQ. whole hog BBQ at it's finest
     - BurgerUP - the truffle fries are too good
     - Husk - Sean Brock restaurant. His take on southern dining. Make a reservation if you want to eat here. 
     - Pharmacy (East Nashville) - great burger, neat beer garden. 
    Large Egg circa '06 model.

Athens, GA

• kjs
    kjs Posts: 111
    It’s tough to have a bad dinner in Highlands. Madison’s at the Old Edwards Inn and Cyprus were my favorite.

In Blowing Rock, Story Street Grill is pretty good. I suggest going to Canyons, somewhat of a dive, for a drink at sunset. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    In Indianapolis on the west side there's a Cajun place called Papa Roux.  Really good and unlimited sides dishes!  

• I'll second Storie Street Grill, but also Bistro Roca in Blowing Rock - probably need a reservation for Roca though.  If you want BBQ, Woodlands in Blowing Rock has been a mainstay.  If you make it to Boone, Proper is a cool, small restaurant - we like it for lunch.  
    Stuart
    Burlington/Alamance County, NC
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Thanks everyone, appreciate your input!
    Edina, MN

• My folks retired to Highlands. Love that area. Wolfgang’s is excellent. The beef rib is outstanding. Just make sure they don’t sit you in the front area. Much better atmosphere in the back or by the gardens. Also, if you like wine, stop by the wine store (that’s the name) in town, on Main Street and sample some wines. They have everything from $10-$2000 bottles of wine. You can buy a bottle and take it outside and drink it at one of the tables if you like. Or just get a card and drink from the machines. Nice little spot to chill. Make time for some of the waterfalls as well, if you can. 
    Snellville, GA

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    In Blowing Rock...best Butter Pecan ice cream I ever had. Ice cream shop in the downtown area...can’t miss it.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Haha, that’s Kilwins - it’s a chain ice cream/fudge/dessert shop.  My wife worked there during college.  It’s definitely good!  
    Stuart
    Burlington/Alamance County, NC
  • Possumtrot
    Possumtrot Posts: 245
    In what area of Nashville are you staying.
    Near Music City in the Boro
    LBGE, Joe,Jr
    Free is better than cheap
    If it's worth telling, it's worth exaggerating

• Budgeezer
    In what area of Nashville are you staying.
    We will be downtown, not far from the Honky Tonk area.
    Edina, MN

• Budgeezer
    Heading out in a day, one last bump.
    Edina, MN

• Possumtrot
    If I could pick only one in downtown Nashville, I would pick ETCH.  The chef also has one in the Green Hills area of Nashville called ETC.  Deb Paquette is the chef and her food is top notch.

Eater magazine is another good source of info:

Another my daughter recommends is:
    Tansuo - 12th and Porter
    Acme Feed and Seed
    The Southern Steak and oyster
    Bakersfield.

@theyolksonyou and @northGAcock were both here within the past 12 months or so and stayed downtown Nashville -maybe they can give a more egghead perspective - I'm a native (and old and slow) so my viewpoint might be a little different.

LBGE, Joe,Jr

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Monells in Nashville is amazing for breakfast, there is typically a wait but as soon as you sit down they bring out food and its all good.  I mean fried chicken with breakfast is hard to beat.  the tamale place in indy is great as well.  St elmo's is good, if you don't get a reservation try for the lounge area upstairs, same food better less stuff atmosphere.  there is also a new sun king location in carmel, it is definitely worth stopping at. 

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    Weber grille in downtown Indy is fantastic. Good Brisket. Stop at Shapiro’s deli on South Meridian for the Ruben sandwich. It’s the best in the Midwest. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited August 2018

Another my daughter recommends is:
    Tansuo - 12th and Porter
    Acme Feed and Seed
    The Southern Steak and oyster
    Bakersfield.

@theyolksonyou and @northGAcock were both here within the past 12 months or so and stayed downtown Nashville -maybe they can give a more egghead perspective - I'm a native (and old and slow) so my viewpoint might be a little different.

I did The Southern Steak and Oyster and enjoyed it....a good choice but no a must do by any means. I will point you to a string earlier regarding Merchants....a great restaurant and bar. We mostly imbibed at this place and at at the bar downstairs. The have multiple eating options for you to choose. I would highly recommend visiting there if only for a beverage.  https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2314310#Comment_2314310
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Merchants in Nashville is one of the older establishments in the downtown area and has always served in the finest southern manner a great selection of food (and booze!)... 
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• If you're in Indy you have to get a deep fried pork tenderloin sandwich.  Best one in town is at Sahm's.  Get the deep fried cauliflower as your side, trust me.  I go there every time I go home.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    I’d love to see more photos of the rally. Looks really cool. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • I spend a ton of time in all of these cities and these guys are giving you some great advice.  I just had a fried pork tenderloin sandwich with a side of fried mushrooms from Sahms in Indy last week.  
  • Budgeezer
    Jeremiah said:
    I’d love to see more photos of the rally. Looks really cool. 
    You can check out their YouTube channel for a bunch of videos for the last few years.  I have a few photos from the rally last month. 
    Edina, MN

• Budgeezer
    edited August 2018
    Thanks to everyone that contributed.  We hope to hit up Merchants, Hattie B's and the Peg Leg Porker in Nashville, Wolfgang's and Ugly Dog in Highlands and still deciding on Blowing Rock and Indianapolis. 
    Edina, MN

• Possumtrot
    Go to the Hattie B's in Melrose (8th ave so.)as it has plenty of room - still crowded, though
    LBGE, Joe,Jr

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    The Golf needs a BGE sticker. Just sayin’ 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Budgeezer said:
    Thanks to everyone that contributed.  We hope to hit up Merchants, Hattie B's and the Peg Leg Porker in Nashville, Wolfgang's and Ugly Dog in Highlands and still deciding on Blowing Rock and Indianapolis. 
    Here are two pro tips for Nashville:
    1) Get the two breast plate at Hattie B’s. You’ll be pissed at yourself if you don’t after standing in that line (especially in August). 
    2) Get the smoked green beans at Peg Leg. 
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    On the way from Highand to Blowing Rock, stop at Sierra Nevada brewery.  The food is really good and well, beer.
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I spend a lot of time in Boone. In my opinion, the best two restaurants in Blowing Rock are the New Public House and Twigs. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Indianapolis -

Burger - Workingman's Friend.  Hole in the wall little bar where you'll find everyone from bikers to state house workers for lunch.  It's usually pretty slow on Saturdays, but has the best crispy, diner style burger I've ever had.  Still has an old cigarette machine by the door, too.

Lunch/Brunch - Northside Kitchenette.  Great quality, scratch made, local food.  They have amazing eggs benedict, and also great salads and sandwiches, depending on what you're in the mood for.  In the same building is Northside Social, which is only open for dinner, and is supposed to be good.

Drive in food, sourced locally - The Mug.

Sandwiches / charcuterie - Goose the Market.  Sandwiches from their lunch counter are amazing, as are all of their smoked and cured meats.  http://www.smokinggoose.com

Lunch - Turf. Just a little lunch counter tucked into a building shared with a Midas.  Most of their business comes from catering, but they're open for 11-2 during the week for lunch.  Check their Facebook page to make sure they're open that day, and to see the specials.  As boring as it sounds, their turkey club is amazing, as is the pimento cheese, and really, everything else I've had there. 
    https://www.facebook.com/turfcateringkitchen/

For anything Egg related - Check out Chef JJs downtown or Sullivan Hardware.  If you're downtown at Chef JJs, want to take a trip back in time, check out Landwerlen Leather, which should pop up on MapQuest.  It's a few blocks from Chef JJs, and is an old store that's been in the same family for over 100 years. They sell everything from belts, to boot care and repair supplies, to huge hides and leather for upholstery.  It's like the hardware store from everyone's youth: creaky old wood floors, huge, beat up oak counters, and old wooden shelves behind the cash register stacked to the ceiling with every kind of leather or shoe sole imaginable.  
    Indianapolis, IN