Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

OT- Help From The Frying Experts

lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 7,661
Going to Sous Vide 150 wings tomorrow for hot wings and would like some advice for a quick easy fry method ...i...i did these last week and just broiled for a few minutes, they were great, but I think frying would be better.

I don't fry much so not sure best method ...can I dredge the wings after just draining or do I have to pay dry ( it's a lot of wings) best flour, flour mix? I have read , corn starch, rice flour AP flour Wondra ...to many and to confusing....thought about frying with no coating..any help appreciated 

Visalia, Ca

LGBE- Pit's by Klose Trailer -Stumps XL Stretch - Custom Santa Maria-Modified HD Offset Smoker Reverse Flow- FatStack Smoker coming soon- Blackstone 36 - Custom Cold Smoke House and a lonely Brinkman Vertical Smoker

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 36,315
    I'm not expert, but I do have a fryer. 

The easiest would be just fry them with no flour or batter.  If they are SV cooked, you wouldn't have to go long, just enough to finish any cooking and crisp up the skin. 

Then you can make a vat of butter and hot sauces/spices and dip them or toss with some of that mix.  You can make the spectrum of hot/mild for the heat-lovers/pussies.

I'd try experimenting and see what you find works/tastes best.

• lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 7,661
    Thanks @nolaegghead ...last time I did SV to 167, should I lower that since they will cook a little in the fryer ? And since no dredge. I assume dry the F out of them or it will splatter
    Visalia, Ca

LGBE- Pit's by Klose Trailer -Stumps XL Stretch - Custom Santa Maria-Modified HD Offset Smoker Reverse Flow- FatStack Smoker coming soon- Blackstone 36 - Custom Cold Smoke House and a lonely Brinkman Vertical Smoker
    Honestly, I don't know.  I think you'll be fine.  If you have a powerful fryer, that water will just cook off in the first minute.  I would just cook one or two and get a time down for the fryer, it can be adjusted from there.

breading is a messy job, but a little flour might help the finished product hold more of the throat burning spice ;)

Thanks @nolaegghead...any preference in Flour vs Rice Flour vs Corn Starch
    Visalia, Ca

Regular flour.   Never tried rice flour.  Corn starch is so finely ground, I've had it make super hard shells that crack off.

• HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 7,805
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Dik
    "...For while we have our eyes on the future
    history has its eyes on us..." Amanda Gorman

Camped out in the (757/948/804)

• MolemanMoleman Posts: 318
    I sous vide to 165 for about 4 hours. I then deep fry between 350-400 for 2:30 seconds. I use no flour because of low carb. They turn out fantastic. 
    edited August 2018
    HeavyG said:
    That guy did 150F SV then 10 minutes at 400F (nuts!).  I would think you wouln't need SV for that temp/time in the fryer, also, cooking over 400 can burn stuff, I try never to go over 375F, no problem starting at 400 if you know the initial load will cool it down fast.

So no flour on his.  Personally I like no flour or just a dusting on my wings.  I hate heavily breaded wings.

Thanks all, think I will drain, do a light dusting and see what happens...trying to pull this off quickly ( after the sv) and serve them soon after frying...will post results 
    Visalia, Ca

• Killit_and_GrillitKillit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited August 2018
    Most restaurants that smoke and then fry keep them in the 150s and fry low and nekked like Nola mentioned. (At least the ones I’ve been to and talked to their pit guys)

I will tell you I did one attempt at this a few weeks ago with sous vide. The skin did not crisp like I wanted. (I was maybe at 350-375). Maybe I didn’t leave it in long enough, maybe it wasn’t hot enough, maybe the sous vide apporach just limits how crispy you can get skin. 

My next thought was to sprinkle corn starch on them for a while to dry up the skin. 

Im very curious to see your results

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• stv8rstv8r Posts: 872
    I like to dredge in a seasoned flour (paprika, salt and pepper).  Makes a great surface for the sauce to adhere to.  Very similar to Hooters wings
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 15,140
    If you’re frying 150 wings, I would consider frying them nekkid , then tossing in sauce as @nolaegghead suggested.  

If making a smaller batch, dry them well then dredge in flour and corn starch, and double fry. Like Korean style wings. First at 350ish, rest for 10 mins, then fry again at 400ish. Thank me later. 

I tried adding ding rice flour to the mix once (pakoras/onion fritters at Butt Blast) but ended up with a whole lotta rice flour sludge at the bottom of the wok. The rice flour is supposed to make for a crispier shell, but I don’t know how to pull that off. SWMBO does, but apparently I don’t. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DMWDMW Posts: 13,782
    Where are you, and can I get there in time for this?
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE - Akron Jr - BS SS36" Griddle
    Test group 1 - 25 lightly coated in Rice Flour, into the dehydrator at 160 for a bit

Visalia, Ca

Visalia, Ca

Naked, and naked wins

Visalia, Ca

Visalia, Ca

• GrillSgtGrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    A lot of innocent wings getting murdered here. A friend bought an air fryer to finish the wings when coming off the smoker. Says it works great, good crisp. 
    GrillSgt said:
    A lot of innocent wings getting murdered here. A friend bought an air fryer to finish the wings when coming off the smoker. Says it works great, good crisp. 
    I 've heard they work well 
    Visalia, Ca

• calikingcaliking Posts: 15,140
    lkapigian said:

I think this should be my new screensaver. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    Thanks @caliking they all went promptly ...learning a lot about Wings the last few weeks 
    Visalia, Ca

• HubHub Posts: 918
    Wings should only be cooked one way.  Deep fried in peanut oil, no breading, and tossed in the hottest buffalo sauce you can find.  Absolutely NOTHING else will ever do.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Verdict? They look great. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Visalia, Ca