Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Very old BGE firebox

I have a very old BGE.  The fire box is starting to fail and needs to be replaced.  The problem is the original fire box is held in place with some sort of refractory cement.  Has anyone seen this before and has anyone had experience removing the old firebox? Advice?

Comments

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Pictures?
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• I would attach a pic but don't know how to do it on this site.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,666
    it may just be ash and whatever built up to look like refractory, mine does that. try sliding something thin down the side like a hacksaw blade
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    If hacksaw blade does not work, build a fire in there with guts removed.  Maybe heat will loosen it and you can get that hacksaw blade down there during the burn and start working it loose.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    Are you  sure it's a BGE? I've seen some of the older kamado's that were cemented in.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Yes, it is a BGE (large).  And, yes, it is cement.  I may be forced to attempt to chisel it out, but afraid of damaging the exterior shell (base).
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Hi Frank, email Bruce at the Mother ship and follow his advice. Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    Rather than pound on the attached ceramic, you might consider a carbide rod saw. Start at the top of the firebox and cut down to the base then continue along the bottom to cut the refractory cement and start back up to the top to remove a large enough piece to work more easily to cut the rest of the refractory cement. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    The original BGEs were earthenware kamados.  I had an Imperial Kamado that had a firebox was formed to fit the base perfectly with no gap at all at the sides.  Ash and sediment buildup over the edges made it appear cemented in when it wasn’t.  I cleaned up the edges with a narrow putty knife (the sediment flaked off) and wiggled the firebox and it came out in 3 pieces (it had cracked long before I rescued the Kamado).
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    edited August 2018
    My nephew's BGE's firebox appeared cemented in from years of use.
    A much needed "Clean Burn" did the trick.  
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    edited August 2018

I would attach a pic but don't know how to do it on this site.

Here's how to attach a picture: