Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spicy smoke ideas

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
A buddy at work let me borrow a big bag of dried crushed hot peppers and seeds that he grew. Told me to take it home, try it out. I’m trying to think of a good meat to smoke that would go good with some “heat” in the rub? Any good recommendations? I was thinking maybe beef ribs or pork rib. Never had pork ribs with a little heat.

Comments

• Scantron
    Scantron Posts: 93
    Options
    I like spicy stuff, but most of the time I think it's better when balanced with some sweet. I'd try pork spare ribs with your spicy rub and a sweet glaze of some sort.
    Cooking on a Large Big Green Egg in North Chicagoland.
  • Knoxvol
    Knoxvol Posts: 7
    Options
    Smoked meatloaf. You can use them in your mixture and it is great.
  • Powak
    Options
    Knoxvol said:
    Mmmmm that sounds awesome. Do you need a screen or pan under your loaf for a smoke?
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Carne Adovada is normally done in a pot, but I bet you could adapt a recipe to some pork butt on the Egg, yum!    

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Knoxvol
    Knoxvol Posts: 7
    Options
    Powak said:
    Knoxvol said:
    Mmmmm that sounds awesome. Do you need a screen or pan under your loaf for a smoke?
    I Use a screen so it can absorb more smoke. If you use a pan, use a disposable one and poke holes in the bottom to let the grease escape.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Did your buddy mention what the peppers are? Capsicums have a huge range of heat. A couple of teaspoons of pepperoncini won't be as hot as a coke spoon of ghost pepper. Also, how the peppers were dried makes a difference. If the hottest part, the inner soft lining, wasn't scooped out, and the seeds washed and dried, the pepper flakes can be a lot hotter.

Try grinding a bit up, put it on some butter, and melt that. Spread on some toast to see what the heat and flavor might be like.

I don;t know of a lot of beef recipes that use capsicums, but pork and fowl often get lots of red pepper.
  • Powak
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Did your buddy mention what the peppers are? Capsicums have a huge range of heat. A couple of teaspoons of pepperoncini won't be as hot as a coke spoon of ghost pepper. Also, how the peppers were dried makes a difference. If the hottest part, the inner soft lining, wasn't scooped out, and the seeds washed and dried, the pepper flakes can be a lot hotter.

Try grinding a bit up, put it on some butter, and melt that. Spread on some toast to see what the heat and flavor might be like.

I don;t know of a lot of beef recipes that use capsicums, but pork and fowl often get lots of red pepper.
    These are a blend of habanero, jalapeños, ghost chilies and few others. It doesn’t take much, the blend produces a nice warm heat. I may just sprinkle on top of a meatloaf.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I like heat, often lots of it, but the ghosts are too much for me. My younger son brought some snacks over on Valentine's day for his Mom. He mentioned that the cheese chunks had pepper. One after another, everyone  started gasping. I asked him what the H? He read the label, (...ghost chili...) OK, don't do that again.

I would agree, maybe just a sprinkle on top.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Wings!

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)