Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Halibut ideas?

Im having a party this sunday, and I have a freezer full of halibut from my last trip to Alaska and was thinking of cooking a **** ton up/ I normally do breaded and fried but the wife said no fried foods for a while so any suggestions or ideas. I have tried grilling with S&P but would like this to pop as it will be the main event this sunday.
Help
Please all suggestions would be appreciated

Long Island NY    
1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18

Comments

• This is the only way we have it if it is not beer battered and fried. 
     https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/220210/baked-halibut-sitka/

I have substituted green chili peppers for dill and that was good too. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    I’m a huge fan of blackened halibut. I’ve kept it simple and just used the Old Bay Bakckened seasoning and  mixed my own spices. Also used DP Swamp Venom a few weeks ago. Drizzle fish with olive oil and coat with spice. Cook to medium in cast iron or even on the Blackstone, if you have one. It’s good by itself, but make tacos with it, you won’t be disappointed. 
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    CornfedMA said:
    I’m a huge fan of blackened halibut. I’ve kept it simple and just used the Old Bay Bakckened seasoning and  mixed my own spices. Also used DP Swamp Venom a few weeks ago. Drizzle fish with olive oil and coat with spice. Cook to medium in cast iron or even on the Blackstone, if you have one. It’s good by itself, but make tacos with it, you won’t be disappointed. 
    It’s also an easy recipe for a crowd or when your cooking a sh*t ton of halibut. 
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    CornfedMA said:
    Yeah...I've done this many times on a cast iron. 
    With cheese but that's another thread.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    I’d try blackened, just for the halibut 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    I’ll be here all week. 
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    @alaskanassasin funny I just was reading the recipe to my wife before I checked your link. It looks like I’m going to give that a whirl at least for half the cook and I’m going to do the other half ala @CornfedMA methods via blackstone 
    @nolaegghead I’m no gourmet chef like you and that sounded like a lot of work. Will try it though when it’s just the wife and I. 
    @theyolksonyou you actually got my wife to laugh well done
    Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013 said:
    @alaskanassasin funny I just was reading the recipe to my wife before I checked your link. It looks like I’m going to give that a whirl at least for half the cook and I’m going to do the other half ala @CornfedMA methods via blackstone 
    @nolaegghead I’m no gourmet chef like you and that sounded like a lot of work. Will try it though when it’s just the wife and I. 
    Haters going to hate! That its easy and tasty! 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351

I like this and it's always a hit, I add caned green chilies, Panko no ritz crackers and Asiago cheese grated on top.

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/halibut-olympia-128949

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    mlc2013 said:
     en papillotte is probably the easiest if you are not deepfrying and presents well. its just parchment paper and a stapler, veggies, herbs, capers and or citrus, splash of wine.  fancy folds in a restaurant, stapler works just as well, still impresses and its healthy

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I'd simply grill it with s&p and make a sauce for those who want it.  Brown butter with capers and a squirt of fresh lemon would be perfect.  Or maybe a cajun cream sauce with crab/crawfish.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Does the Halibut still have the skin on? If so, cook it arroser style. Always a winner.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Cedar planks FTW 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Cube, coat with OId Bay, sautee and toss with pasta.
    NOLA
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I'd simply grill it with s&p and make a sauce for those who want it.  Brown butter with capers and a squirt of fresh lemon would be perfect.  Or maybe a cajun cream sauce with crab/crawfish.  
    @buzzvol - which part do you disagree with?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • mlc2013
    @Jupiter Jim that sounds good as well I have to decide if I want to make 2 or 3 versions
    @fishlessman that’s right up my wife’s ally so I know which version she is making
    @GATraveller going to give that a whirl as well
    @Eggcelsior yes it still has skin on I’ll look up arroser
    @DoubleEgger no cedar planks do have salt planks I never used yet tjough
    @buzd504 no pasta for us but that does sound good
    Long Island NY    
  • Well?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Bass-o-Matic can be used for halibut and all sorts of other fishes!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • mlc2013
    I did it this style
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/220210/baked-halibut-sitka/
    wasnt that great but ut all went so I’ll take that
    thank you all for your suggestions and help
    sorry no
    pictures is was just to much going on
    Long Island NY    
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    So I’m not the best fish cook, I’ll be honest and say I suck at it and know nothing about proper ways to cook/grill/smoke fish.  My wife loves fish and we picked up some halibut filets from Costco yesterday so I could try to hone my fish game.

I decided to try and cook one in a cast iron pan and the other filet on the grill.  Both seasoned with S&P and a little Tsunami.  Got the egg up to ~475-500 and on they went, skillet first to warm up with some butter.  

End results were a success, both ways.  I’ll probably just grill it going forward and get some tortilla and friends involved.

• mlc2013
    Cornholio said:
    So I’m not the best fish cook, I’ll be honest and say I suck at it and know nothing about proper ways to cook/grill/smoke fish.  My wife loves fish and we picked up some halibut filets from Costco yesterday so I could try to hone my fish game.

I decided to try and cook one in a cast iron pan and the other filet on the grill.  Both seasoned with S&P and a little Tsunami.  Got the egg up to ~475-500 and on they went, skillet first to warm up with some butter.  

End results were a success, both ways.  I’ll probably just grill it going forward and get some tortilla and friends involved.

that looks good and is the best way in my opinion simply and delicious glad you enjoyed it.

Long Island NY    
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    mlc2013 said:
    that looks good and is the best way in my opinion simply and delicious glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks!  It was pretty darn good and my wife approved so I’ll be trying more fish on the egg going forward.  Thinking of using our shrimp taco recipe but substituting some halibut for the shrimp.  
  • mlc2013
    Try getting CI really hot egg dome at 450-500 add butter then through some fresh sea scallops a minute per side with a little old bay. Your welcome.

Long Island NY