Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Partially smoked Brisket

Options
I have a family get together and don't have the amount of time (7 to 8 hrs) to fully cook. Can a person partially cook and finish up at the event?

Comments

• Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Options
    I believe it would depend upon how partially cooked you got it before you brought it and it finished it up at the event.  I'm not sure if I would do it for a group of people due to the risk of food poisoning.

There's no way to cook it and do an extended FTC?  I have FTC'd briskets in a cooler pre-warmed with boiling water and packed with towels that had been in the dryer for 20 minutes and it was still hot when I opened it up 7-8 hours later.  Wasn't ideal but it worked.
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I think @The Cen-Tex Smoker has done some split cooks on briskets before, but can’t recall at what point in the cook he pulled and then restarted.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited August 2018
    Options
    You sure can. Cook it in Smoke as long as you can then set it on the counter to let it cool for 30-45 min. Then rapid cool in the freezer and wrap in paper or foil and put in the fridge. You don’t want to freeze it, you just want to get it cold all the way through quickly for food safety reasons. 

I leave mine wrapped at this point and finish up when I’m ready for it. When you are ready to eat, Throw it on a 250 degree grill or oven and cook until very soft in the thickest part of the flat just like you would if you were doing a normal cook. I have noticed very little difference when doing them this way over cooking them straight through. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Agree with Cen-Tex. I've gone even further and completed the cook one day, then served the following. I was having guests for lunch on a Sunday and didn't want to cook all night. I cooked my brisket per usual on Saturday, and it did a 4 hour FTC after it came off. Then it went in the fridge overnight. I put it in a 225* convection oven the next morning at 10:00 still wrapped in the foil. At noon it came out of the foil and sliced up nice as you please, tender and juicy.
    Michiana, South of the border.