Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ron Pratt/Rutland Gasket

Kentucky Wildcat Fan
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Where can I contact Ron Pratt about purchasing a Rutland Gasket for my egg? Thank you.
Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Rutland gaskets are not designed for use near food. That said, they can be obtained at most Home Centers (Menards) near the fireplace supplies. Get the flat rope and it takes two for the upper and lower shells. I also purchased their silicone adhesive to attach it which is superior to 3M Super 77 in my opinion. Don't physically eat it or it will clog your digestive tract.
  • No Menard in Lexington, KY. I'll try Lowes.
  • why not just email him - he posts here all the time as RRP
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    I get some e-mails from here in my spam box.

Mike
  • Did not realize that was him. Thank you.
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    ACE carries it as well.
  • You are right Ron its 95-6 but they do not list that one any more

Ross
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Thanks, Ross.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Thanks a lot.
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan wrote:
    No Menard in Lexington, KY. I'll try Lowes.

They have them here,in bulk,they cut what you need,I've got it on my Primo XL Oval,which I purchased from them.Don't forget to measure your egg,a string laid around the rim will work just fine,add 3" to this so you don't come up short.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Could also measure the outside diameter and multiply by 3.14 (Pi) then add three additional inches. Also try to bunch up the gasket while gluing it instead of stretching it as it will have a tendency to shrink. After it is applied and the adhesive is thouroughly cured, lightly run a torch over the fibers to burn off any loose ones.
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    RRP said:
    I could get sued, but that 96W-6 is NOT the right one and the dude who said to buy 2 kits and place on the dome and bottom is wrong. LOL - don't ask me why I know better!
    Hey Ron, how can I contact you to get a gasket for my large?

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Click on @RRP and PM him
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Dawgtired said:
    RRP said:
    I could get sued, but that 96W-6 is NOT the right one and the dude who said to buy 2 kits and place on the dome and bottom is wrong. LOL - don't ask me why I know better!
    I just sent you a reply via this forum. Ball is in your court now!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Contact RRP (Ron) - he knows what length you need depending on the size of egg.  He sends the gasket with detailed instructions.  He really couldn't make it any easier.  
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • jak7028 said:
    Contact RRP (Ron) - he knows what length you need depending on the size of egg.  He sends the gasket with detailed instructions.  He really couldn't make it any easier.  
    Unless he just GIVES it to you..........

Little Rock, AR

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    jak7028 said:
    Word is he gave one to Wes.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    bgebrent said:
    jak7028 said:
    Word is he gave one to Wes.
    But not to his significant other 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,128
    That’s a nice gesture Ron 
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    RRP said:
    jak7028 said:
    Yes, over these passed 16 years I have never charged any active military men or women.

That’s what we call patriotism. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • Lit
    JNDATHP said:
    RRP said:
    jak7028 said:
    Yes, over these passed 16 years I have never charged any active military men or women.

That’s what we call patriotism. 
    A real stand up guy
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Dawgtired said:
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    Dawgtired said:
    RRP said:
    I just sent you a reply via this forum. Ball is in your court now!
    To @Dawgtired just in case you have been watching you PRIVATE MESSAGE box instead of your wall here is Rons public answer to you question 

RRP

Thank you for your inquiry! Please read the following as it covers things you need to know before proceeding such as an important part of the installation process PLUS what to expect from me. Then - if you wish to proceed simply follow the rest of my ordering directions at the end.

Since 2002 I have sold Rutland gaskets as a service to fellow eggers. I have now supplied 4,388 gaskets to people in all 50 states plus 10 foreign countries!

I purchase nearly 500 feet of the gasket material at a time. That way I can send the length needed for each size egg PLUS my detailed instructions for their application! For instance you need one continuous piece 7 feet long for a Large and 9 feet long for an X-Large.

You apply the gasket using an automotive product called Permatex Ultra Copper – which I do NOT supply. Every automotive supply chain store in the USA (AutoZone, NAPA, Pep Boys, O’Reilly) carries the Permatex and it runs about $7 for one tube which is enough for one gasket. Even Amazon carries it. Permatex is a high temperature silicone gasket maker which acts as an adhesive to bond the Rutland to your cooker’s ceramic edge. Years later if you wish to remove it, it will come off.

Frequently eggers will ask me how long does a Rutland gasket last? I reply that I honestly don’t know! The Rutland on my Large egg that gets regular use is now 16 years old, but your use may be different. The probable explanation is that the Rutland gasket withstands over 1,000º which is far above any temperature that a BGE is even capable of producing from the firebox to the gasket level!

Since the Rutland will go on the bottom ONLY you will need to remove both the old dome and base gaskets and I cover that process in my instructions. It is not necessary to remove the dome itself from your band, but some people find it easier if removed. Suit yourself! 

The application process of a Rutland is one I call “bunching” whereby you compress or "bunch" the gasket back into itself thus making it both thicker and wider than the 5/8" so as to cover your entire edge. In doing so you apply the Rutland on ONE side only - not both and my recommendation is it is applied only to the base, not the dome.

“Bunching” (compressing) it is really simple.

The gasket has a natural “cup” or curvature to it so starting with that cup side down lay the gasket like this with your fingers on it:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Ronald44/media/Gasket%20pix/IMG_3613_zps324d4ba6.jpg.html

Now slide your fingers together while pressing down:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Ronald44/media/Gasket%20pix/IMG_3614_zpsf2e3d754.jpg.html

See how the gasket is now wider and thicker? That is “bunching” and you’ll get very good at it very quickly.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Ronald44/media/Gasket%20pix/IMG_3612_zps466a1547.jpg.html

I recommend you bunch at least "8 or more ahead of ever pushing the gasket into the bed of adhesive. You want the Permatex to bite and grab right from the start with very limited moving other than to align it with the curvature of the egg's base. When properly laid your finished gasket will look like this.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Ronald44/media/Gasket%20pix/IMG_0383.jpg.html

If you were wondering about the difficultly…it REALLY isn’t that hard to do when you follow my instructions. The youngest egger applying a Rutland that I have heard back from was a 13 year old boy and the oldest was a 92 year old great grandmother!

The total cost for ONE gasket sent to an address in the USA is $11 for a Large and $13 for an X-Large.  I also will send a detailed, WRITTEN set of instructions for removal of the old gasket and installation of your new Rutland. 

BTW do you have a buddy or relative who might want a Rutland as well? I can economically ship up to 4 gaskets for incrementally a lesser cost of postage than just one so the individual gasket price goes down considerably! Just ask me for a quote. Quantities larger than 4 gaskets will be priced with postage at actual!

One point of clarification…I just want to make sure you understand that when you apply the Rutland gasket according to my detailed instructions then it is both wider and thicker meaning that only 1 Rutland gasket is needed PER egg - NOT 2. In fact I don’t even recommend putting two Rutlands on a single egg!

If you live in the US and If my price is acceptable to you just give me your size BGE, your name and mailing address and it will ship! After I have confirmed the package has been shipped I will give you my address so your check and the package can cross in the mail or if you want to use PayPal I will give you my preferred manner for that method. It’s just that easy and I NEVER ask anyone to pay me before I have shipped!

If you prefer not to post your address here then send it to my email address of:  ron.pat@comcast.net

Waiting to hear back from you…

Ron aka RRP

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • @Lit you never miss an opportunity to show your lack of class do ya.
    Snellville, GA

• Lit
    @Lit you never miss an opportunity to show your lack of class do ya.
    I’m sure I’ve passed out a couple times and missed a few. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I hear that @henapple and @Dyal_SC have contacts for Rutland gaskets but they don’t come with detailed instructions 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686

@RRP Kicks G-ass-ket !  Just sayin'....

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...