Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mad Max turkey question

Options
Larry McSass
Larry McSass Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am ready to try my first turkey, I just have two questions:[p]1. How long does it generally take/lb. to cook the turkey? I want to serve around 1:00, what time should I put it on the Egg?[p]2. How many lbs max turkey will fit on the Egg with a V-Rack?[p]Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated. Happy Thanksgiving!

Comments

• mojopin
    mojopin Posts: 200
    Options
    Larry McSass,[p]My 18 lb. Turkey took about 3.5 hours the Mad Max way... probably could have come off a few minutes sooner, but since it was brined it was still juicy juicy... I'm going to do another this weekend just for the heck of it. Just a 15 lb. one though.[p]Could have gone bigger on the turkey, it would have fit, but the pan I had didn't fit as well, had to bend the handles in.[p]Hope this helps![p]•Jill
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    mojopin,[p]I had the same experience a few weeks ago with a MM turkey.
    18 pounder done in a little over 3 hours and pulled at 3.5, tented in foil and kept warm in oven on low for another hour while I prepared Max's gravy...Oh my, the best I'd ever had. Bird was juicy and a crowd pleaser.[p]-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    I guesstimate 13 minutes per pound, Larry McSass. It should sit out at room temp for 45 minutes to an hour (depending on size) before it goes on. Pull at 161° in the breast. And it should rest for a half hour before serving. Julie