Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Dressing

HighCotton
HighCotton Posts: 43
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Turkey dressing has been one of the traditional side dishes at our Thanksgiving. Sad to say these recipes were never written down and are now gone (grandmom used to make it from scratch). Are there any favorite turkey dressing recipes out there that we might try?

Comments

• HighCotton,
    following recipe from giada delaurenttis has become our favorite dressing, replacing all others. ..its gotten rave reviews the last two years. .. one thing i do different though, is i don't buy jarred chestnuts. ..i buy fresh ones that i roast in the egg. .. unveleivable flavor. ..[p]Ciabatta Stuffing with Chestnuts and Pancetta
    Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
    See this recipe on air Friday Nov. 19 at 11:00 AM ET/PT.
    Show: Everyday Italian[p]
    6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
    8 ounces pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch dice
    2 large onions, finely chopped
    2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
    3 celery stalks, finely chopped
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
    3 garlic cloves, chopped
    2 (7.4-ounce) jars roasted peeled whole chestnuts, coarsely broken
    1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
    1 pound day-old ciabatta bread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
    2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
    1 cup (or more) canned low-salt chicken broth
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 large eggs, beaten to blend
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    Butter a 15 by 10 by 2-inch glass baking dish. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the pancetta and saute until crisp and golden, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pancetta to a large bowl. Melt the remaining butter in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, rosemary, and garlic. Saute until the onions are very tender, about 12 minutes. Gently stir in the chestnuts and parsley. Transfer the onion mixture to the large bowl with the pancetta. Add the bread and Parmesan and toss to coat. Add enough broth to the stuffing mixture to moisten. Season the stuffing, to taste, with salt and pepper. Mix in the eggs.
    Transfer the stuffing to the prepared dish. Cover with buttered foil, buttered side down, and bake until the stuffing is heated through, about 30 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until the top is crisp and golden, about 15 minutes longer.[p]

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    HighCotton,[p]Da Wolf's Corn Bread Stuffin' for a 14-15 pound bird.[p]1 Package of Pepperidge Farms Corn Bread Mix.
    1 Package of Jimmy Dean Sausage /w sage (any brand will do)
    2 Cans of Chicken Stock
    1 Stick of Butter
    1 medium onion chopped
    5 or 6 decent sized mushrooms chopped.
    1-2 Celery Stalk (closer to the center the better) chopped
    1tbsp Sage (I like to add more you don't need too)
    1teas Salt
    1 teas Coarse Black pepper.[p]In a sauce pan combine butter, stock and celery till butter is melted
    In a saute pan brown sausage, sage, onions and mushrooms.[p]Combine sausage mixture with corn bread mix.[p]Stir in butter, stock mixture and mix well. Mix in salt and pepper.[p]Stuff bird and tie bird up tight. Bake Turkey as Max Suggests.[p]Make sure when bird is fully cooked stuffing is temp is above 145 degs. If not remove from bird and bake till it reached 145+.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    HighCotton,
    i think our family traditionally winged it. brown up pork sausage onions and celery. add to a bag of stuffing cubes. mix 2 tablespoons bell's seasoning to some chicken stock and add to everything until its moist and looks like stuffing and add to bird. i do one bird with stuffing in the oven and one in the egg without stuffing. as far back as i can remember my family used jimmy dean, i use the hot stuff. if your outside newengland you might have to mail order the bells seasoning as i dont think its available everywhere. i add some bell,s to maxs gravey as well.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Celtic Wolf
    fishlessman,[p] You want to mail me some.. Since I left NY many moons ago I can't find it.. I am about out.[p]
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Her's mine, HighCotton:[p]JULIE’S CORN BREAD STUFFING
    enough for a large bird

1.5 cups onion, chopped
    1 cup celery, chopped (leaves included)
    1 stick butter
    .5 lb. ground pork sausage with sage included; or add sage to your favorite sausage. (I use Jimmy Dean brand).
    1 cup coarsley chopped mushrooms (I include some shitakes)
    8 cups corn bread, crumbled (Use 3 boxes Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix or your favorite recipe)
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground peppercorns
    1.5 teaspoons poultry seasoning or
    [.5 teaspoon thyme, .5 teaspoon rosemary, .5 teaspoon nutmeg]
    1 cup white wine (or chicken broth)
    1 egg, slightly beaten
    .5 - 1 cup dried cherries or cranberries, apricots or other favorite dried fruits[p]Sauté onions & celery until just tender and put in large bowl. Cook sausage and mushrooms together. Pour off the grease and add to celery and onion.
    Mix together with the bread crumbs and seasonings. Just before stuffing the bird, moisten mixture with the wine, add the egg & dried fruit and mix well. Stuff the bird (or not!) just before cooking, via the indirect method with a drip pan, on your grill. 13 minutes per pound usually works for me, but have a meat thermometer handy. Cook to 161° in the breast.[p][p][p][p][p][p]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    Celtic Wolf,
    its funny what you take for granted living in one place so long. the smell of bell's seasoning at tday is the same as the smell of a real christmas tree at xmas for me.

[ul][li]bells[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Celtic Wolf
    fishlessman,[p] I thank you for reminding me. My son is coming down from NY tomorrow, so I will have him pick me up a couple of boxes.