Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Old Bay chicken

Options
JohnEggGio
JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
edited August 2018 in EggHead Forum
Got some large leg quarters.  We love Old Bay here, so cleaned up the quarters then generously coated them in Old Bay.
Yup, those are two of my squirrel attracting owl figurines (squirrels tend to bully them), and my 2 BGE accessory storage units in the background.  Actually, Weber Genesis under that cover.
As an experiment, got the chicken high in the dome.  Went 350+ for about 75 minutes - each piece each side twice down.

Crispy skin, moist meat, great smokey spicey flavor.  All loved it.  Wife said, “I can’t believe this is so cheap - it should cost a lot more.”

Good stuff.
Maryland, 1 LBGE

Comments

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    We mostly use Old Bay for boiled, peel-n-eat shrimp, but your chicken looks great.  Might have to try it some time!
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    Options
    I'll have to give this a go! We like to dust corn on the cob with Old Bay as well.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I like to mix about 50/50 Old Bay and Tsunami Spin for chicken.  

Nice cook 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Markarm4119
    Options
    Looks good, great idea on the Old Bay
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited August 2018
    Options

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    Great post, thanks for the great idea for the Old Bay that I brought home from MD. Love your avatar, is that a Pointing Griffon?

Cheers,

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    old bay is basically Prague powder #1 with seasonings.  Bet you got a great smoke ring.
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind words, and @SGH, thanks for the link - that’s a great deal.

Old Bay’s original/primary use was to season steamed blue crabs.  We use it on chicken, steamed shrimp, corn on the cob, deviled eggs, crab cakes, French fries... Used to be produced by a local company and was hard to find outside of Maryland, now produced by McCormack - it’s available pretty much everywhere.  Of course many crab houses have their own secret proprietary mix, but Old Bay remains the standard.

@nolaegghead - huh?  Not nearly.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Like most, I always thought it was just for brabv, or other seafood. Started recently using on both chix and corn, among other things, and have be quite pleased.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Theophan said:
    We mostly use Old Bay for boiled, peel-n-eat shrimp, but your chicken looks great.  Might have to try it some time!
    Good on grilled asparagus also.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    Just my perception, but I think the OB mix has been changed - less salty - specifically so it can be used as a seasoning directly on foods.  If you have an old can it could prove too salty.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Just my perception, but I think the OB mix has been changed - less salty - specifically so it can be used as a seasoning directly on foods.  If you have an old can it could prove too salty.
    LOL, less salty? That's the reason I don't use it... it's TOO salty (for my reduced sodium diet that I at least TRY to follow). However, your chicken looks so good, I found a supposed copy cat recipe for Old Bay and am going to give it a shot. Will use celery seed and a just a pinch of salt (or maybe none) instead of celery salt.

No idea if this is even remotely accurate, but how bad can it be? =)
    https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/old-bay-seasoning-10591

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    JOs #2 blend is the best. It's what Old Bay used to be.
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    LOL, less salty? That's the reason I don't use it... it's TOO salty (for my reduced sodium diet that I at least TRY to follow). However, your chicken looks so good, I found a supposed copy cat recipe for Old Bay and am going to give it a shot. Will use celery seed and a just a pinch of salt (or maybe none) instead of celery salt.

No idea if this is even remotely accurate, but how bad can it be? =)
    https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/old-bay-seasoning-10591
    Who knows?  Hope it works out - report back, please.  I really do believe my current can is a good deal less salty than in the past, but I could be wrong.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    Looks great, thanks for posting
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    Most such blends have a lot of rock salt - great for coating steamed crabs, not so much for directly seasoning food.  That said, I haven’t tried the JO mixes.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Looks great.
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Looks great.
    I recognize and appreciate your restraint.  Thanks
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Haha. I really mean it. Chicken legs are one of my favorites and all too often people yank them off at 160F (because they read chicken is done at 160F) and the skin is flabby and the fat hasn't rendered nearly enough. Yours look perfect. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Most such blends have a lot of rock salt - great for coating steamed crabs, not so much for directly seasoning food.  That said, I haven’t tried the JO mixes.
    JO #1 is like that, made for steamed crabs. #2 is the "all purpose" version without the extra salt. Blew my mind when I saw it being used for seafood seasoning in Calabash, NC and Cherry Grove, SC at 2 different seafood places. I know it's used all over the Chesapeake Bay. Their factory is just the south of the 95/695 interchange in Halethorpe. The whole area smells like steamed crabs, which is amazing. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Damn!  Those legs do look perfect!

I love old Bay. We too put it on shrimp, corn, some dips, and I love it on popcorn. Never thought about putting it on chicken.  Got to try that.

Have you tried the Old Bay hot**?  Has more kick to it.  love that stuff on shrimp. Too hot for popcorn per my preference, but perfect for shrimp. When we do crabs we use 50/50 original/hot.

** Old Bay Hot requires a slightly larger volume of cold beer stock to be nearby and rest for consumption.  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    @SonVolt That’s the way I like chicken, too.  These were just about perfect.  Ok - peace, brother.

@Eggcelsior I’m gonna get some of that JO.  As the crow flies, I sit less than 7 miles from their shop.  I’m on a mission...

@Sea2Ski I did have a can of the hot last year and it went quick.  It’s hard to find - I’ve asked at a couple of grocery stores and the seem to have no idea what I’m talking about.  My brother swears that the hot is what all OB used to be like.  I dunno.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    JO #1 is like that, made for steamed crabs. #2 is the "all purpose" version without the extra salt. Blew my mind when I saw it being used for seafood seasoning in Calabash, NC and Cherry Grove, SC at 2 different seafood places. I know it's used all over the Chesapeake Bay. Their factory is just the south of the 95/695 interchange in Halethorpe. The whole area smells like steamed crabs, which is amazing. 
    I love when the wind picks up and I get it in the morning at the office (on Security Blvd right off 695).

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• JohnEggGio
    Options
    Acn said:
    I love when the wind picks up and I get it in the morning at the office (on Security Blvd right off 695).
    I used to work up in Cockeysville - up there it’s black pepper at McCormick.  Loved the smell of black pepper in the air on a cool fall morning.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    @ChrisgrillsSTLMO Sorry, I missed your question.  Nope, she’s 17 pounds of ball chasing love - a cockapoo.

Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Outstanding!  That's Wilma's preferred rub for chicken.
    Flint, Michigan
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    She is the goodest girl!! 12/10 =)
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • JohnEggGio
    Options
    Thanks, Chris!  We adore her (99% of the time).
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    @JohnEggGio  Oh man those eyes let her get away with about anything!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• JohnEggGio
    Options
    bucky925 said:
    @JohnEggGio  Oh man those eyes let her get away with about anything!

I will admit, she’s quickly forgiven.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE