Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

turkey

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in Using the Egg
I have owned my new, large green egg for two weeks and am thrilled with it.
We are planning on cooking a 22+ pound turkey on Thanksgiving and would appreciate any tips. We will not be smoking and I do have some concerns about fitting a 22lb'er on the BGE using the grill with firebricks and a pan on top of that.
My biggest concern is judging cooking time and not overcooking.
Thank you.

Comments

• Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    As a North Alabama native, I grew up on Big Bob Gibson's. Tthe original restuarant was the proverbial hole in the wall and is across the parking lot from the current restuarant. My Granddad was good friends with Bob. In the Huntsvile Decatur area their are numerous Gibsons Barbque Resturants. Each restuart is different but they are all related to Big Bob. The White Sauce is different in each one. I happen to perfer white sauce that is not quite as thick as BBG's but it is the original. Try this, next time you have a pulled pork sandwich put a bit of the white sauce (your pick as to which one) on the sandwich with the red pepper/vinegar sauce. I really like the combination.
  • Sawdust&Smokin
    Options
    PAUL,

Look for turkey tops in the main forum. I was just about like you when I did my first bird, so read the suggestions in the forum.

A couple of hints to start off with;

Fresh bird (okay a little obvious)
    Test fit: make sure you do a test set up, as Thanksgiving morning is not the time to find out stuff does not fit.
    Prepare as mush as you can the day before.

I would try "Mad Max's" receipe for a turkey. I did for my first and it turned out great. I probably will do te same for this year. To find the rceipe go to the following link http://nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm