Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cordless Vacuum Options for Ash Removal

Options
SonVolt
SonVolt Posts: 3,314
I've been using my 16 gallon shop vac for ash removal every 3rd-4th cook to really get in there and get all the powder out. It works great, but it's a pain in the ass to haul that thing around, not to mention searching for an outlet and/or extension cord. Surely there's got to be a cordless option...  

I went by Home Depot and saw that Milwaukee has a cordless vacuum around $99.  I don't know how powerful it is, but I like the fact that its portable. 

What are you guys using to remove your ash? Anyone using anything cordless and can recommend? 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 

Comments

• SonVolt
    Options
    caliking said:
    I don’t know if my hands would be considered cordless, but they have worked pretty well so far :smiley:

I use an ash removal rake and a bucket most of the time... i'm talking about when I want a deep clean. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i stick the handle side into the lower vent and swish it around =)

Coal ShovelSteel

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SonVolt
    Options

Coal ShovelSteel

Speaking of... I did find a better ash removal tool than the official BGE version, and for half the price. The Weber ash rake is $14 and works so, so much better. 

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Shop vac every 2 or 3 cooks. I have been meaning to buy one of the little ash shovels. Maybe I'll do it right now.

Edit: done
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    I don't do a major cleaning on my egg until I've burned through about 10-12 full fireboxes worth of lump. So I don't mind getting a little dust on my hands then. Its probably been done once a month or so since I've had the egg. That doesn't seem like a bad deal if you are doing a deep clean as often as you are.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Galvanized bucket and a ash tool. Clean burn or pizza once a month. With my luck and a vacuum cleaner I would get a rare live coal and well poof.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    SonVolt said:

Coal ShovelSteel

Speaking of... I did find a better ash removal tool than the official BGE version, and for half the price. The Weber ash rake is $14 and works so, so much better. 

i burn alot of wood for heat so the coal shovel is always on the deck and handy.  ive gone thru 2 bases (actually 3 but one was water damage) and ive come to the conclusion that some ash covering and protecting the lower base section from heat  is a good thing, i leave it half full of ash now

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    When I do empty all the lump and scrape the ash out I hit it with the cordless leaf blower.  
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    You ought to open it up to see if it has any kind of bag to empty. Then slip a cover over it. That fine ash dust will go thru most vacuum filters and wreck the motor.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SonVolt
    Options
    Cornholio said:
    When I do empty all the lump and scrape the ash out I hit it with the cordless leaf blower.  

I'd evacuate the neighborhood with a leaf blower.

• SonVolt
    Options
    RRP said:
    You ought to open it up to see if it has any kind of bag to empty. Then slip a cover over it. That fine ash dust will go thru most vacuum filters and wreck the motor.

That's a good point. My wife tried to suck up sheetrock dust once in her vacuum and it was blowing out dust in the exhaust as fast it would suck it up. 
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I'd evacuate the neighborhood with a leaf blower.

I’ve never noticed a big mess doing this since I’ve already scraped the bulk of the ash out.  I get a bigger dust cloud from dirt on my driveway.  
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Dyson V6  
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • RRP
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    RRP said:

That's a good point. My wife tried to suck up sheetrock dust once in her vacuum and it was blowing out dust in the exhaust as fast it would suck it up. 
    Yes - drywall dust and lump ash have a lot in common being so fine. I have 3 shop vacs - that have corrugated paper drum filters. I just slip a piece of my wife's ruined panty hose leg pieces over them. That saves me a ton of time cleaning those filters, let alone money replacing them.
  • SonVolt
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Dyson V6  

Are you my wife? I keep telling her a $500 piece of flimsy plastic has no place near my grill. Dyson's build quality isn't even up to Walmart standards, which is hard to fathom. 
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Options
    I tried it with an air compressor to blow it out.  It worked great--- once, not again
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options

As Cornholio said. Just use the leaf blower after you have removed most of the ash. If you use the scrapper to get rid of most of the ash then the only parts left will be between the fire ring and the base. Just make sure to leave your dome open too. Do it on a Saturday morning when everyone else is mowing their lawns. No Biggie.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Options
    I used a cheap-o vac from walmart. Its the smallest shop vac they make. I've found the ash tool and a galvanized bucket to be much less hassle. 
    Pratt, KS
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Dyson V6  

Are you my wife? I keep telling her a $500 piece of flimsy plastic has no place near my grill. Dyson's build quality isn't even up to Walmart standards, which is hard to fathom. 
    I got one of these for free. I wouldn’t use it on my egg.....but you can. I think it was only $160 on Amazon. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I not part of the vac pac.  That is wasted time, effort and money IMHO.   I might drag the ash out every 4-5 cooks.  The ash acts as an insulator.  Maybe once or twice a year on my large I’ll pull the cuts and sweep it out, twice that on the small and every 3wks or so on the mini.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have a SS canister shop vac out by the grills.  I don't vac inside often, but it's good to get the ash out from the outside of the fire box now and then.  Mostly it is good for cleaning up ash or whatever normal reasons you would have a vacuum for. 

I learned early on a bag is the best for fine particles like ash (or drywall dust).  You can buy the paper bags for just about any shop vac.  They don't clog.  In fact, they fill up the entire inside of your vacuum.  However you can't suck up any liquids.
    Options

Vacuum for me.  It's cleanest, and does the best job.  My vac is dedicated, so it's always plugged in and handy.  If I had to go hunting for it, I may think differently.

Phoenix 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Dyson V6  

Our Dyson Animal bought 15 or 20 years ago has been trouble free.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I use this one. The batteries haven’t been changed in over 15 years! I used a corded shop vac for a while with a bag. Worked fine, but I can scrape into my steel bucket by the time I get it out. I have a nest set up though. Not as easy if in a table or cart I’ll admit. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Suck (insert name here), blow is just a figure of speech!  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Love the ash drawer on my KJ
  • RRP
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Well - let's see...
    Here is one I made for my small egg since the ash hole is so small. The end is a small piece of brass.

And then here is the one I made for my Large. This is a "rip straight" fence from an old Skil-Saw that bit the dust!

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,659
    edited July 2018
    Options
     I have one of these I use to vacuum out the chimney after brushing in the fall, it holds up better to ash, nice, all metal heavy duty. 

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    This whole thread kind of sucks.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike