Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Blackstone Seasoning OT

Options
2»

Comments

• mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    captains log day 1, i have this stupid grin on my face that I can not remove. I can only assume that the more I learn the bigger the grin is going to get.

I cooked a few lbs of bacon and made a few smash burgers (still not perfect but better) and some sunny side eggs. My wife said it would be perfect for pancakes and french toast but to bad we dont eat them. Then she questioned me on what are we going to do with this monstrosity (her words), After I was done scolding her for cursing my newest child. translation begins her to let me keep it. I explained that we can cook anything we want on it and the fact that we cook bacon normally 2lbs a week and have to clean the oven after wards that this would be easier to clean (Im probably lying a little but hey at least im outside).

Now I have to figure out what we can actually cook on here to justify the space it takes up and keep in mind we are low carb eaters. so if anyone has any good recipes for the BS please pass them along. I will start my search as well and see what I can find.

Thanks for looking and have a great night
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    caliking just about to unbox the BS whats this sanding thing? What grit paper and how much or are you just looking to scuff surface for better oil retention or smooth surface
    Sorry just saw this, but looks like you got it done :)

moar bacon!!!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    Cheesesteaks. Steak fajitas, shrimp fried rice , smash burgers ... the list is endless !!!! 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    I always just say think of it as a 3ft long skillet. Anything you can do with a skillet multiply times 3ft. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @mlc2013  You weren't lying to your lady - it is easy to clean once you have your routine down.  As far as the low carb thing... you may have bought the wrong toy.  Don't worry - low carb is just a myth.  Your new BS excels at quesadillas, sandwiches, the breakfast stuff, fried rice, and smashburgers of course.  It's also handy when your have to brown up a bunch of ground beef, or par cook a bunch of onions etc.
    Phoenix 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Late to the party, but your way over thinking this......

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    nice.   Hey, I have that same sander.   Great tool.
    Options
    to clean last night I just scraped everything while still hot and then again after cooled until mostly smooth and then rubbed in some oil should I have used a water soaked ragged when still hot and try and steam off items and then oil? I look for answers online now as well

nolaegghead im a big fan of festool and the rotex is used for just about everything 
    Jupiter Jim probably, I just fit it into a spot on my patio so looks like its going to stay just need to cook a few things on it that she would enjoy to help her not look at it with a crooked look of regret (you know the look she gives me every morning)
    blasting a myth; please do tell would love an alternative that helps keep me from gaining the 65 lbs i lost without eat eating air for fast and a morsel of sand for lunch and like a bird for dinner? Im desperate!!!!
    TEXASBGE2018 Thats a great point
    Hntnhrd actually going tome some roast beef with peppers and mushrooms and gravy covered in mozzarella tonight our version of cheese steak, roast beef may be subbed out wi
    Long Island NY    
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,771
    Options
    Also a must is a cover from @Tspud1
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • mlc2013
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Also a must is a cover from @Tspud1
    Already ordered waiting for him to ship
    Long Island NY    
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    to clean last night I just scraped everything while still hot and then again after cooled until mostly smooth and then rubbed in some oil should I have used a water soaked ragged when still hot and try and steam off items and then oil? I look for answers online now as well

nolaegghead im a big fan of festool and the rotex is used for just about everything 
    Jupiter Jim probably, I just fit it into a spot on my patio so looks like its going to stay just need to cook a few things on it that she would enjoy to help her not look at it with a crooked look of regret (you know the look she gives me every morning)
    blasting a myth; please do tell would love an alternative that helps keep me from gaining the 65 lbs i lost without eat eating air for fast and a morsel of sand for lunch and like a bird for dinner? Im desperate!!!!
    TEXASBGE2018 Thats a great point
    Hntnhrd actually going tome some roast beef with peppers and mushrooms and gravy covered in mozzarella tonight our version of cheese steak, roast beef may be subbed out wi
    After cooking I scrape off what will come off then go eat. After meal I cut BS back on and heat on high for 3 to 4 minuets. I have a squirt bottle with water I use to apply water. It will cut whatever you cooked and come loose and go in grease track. I use paper towel to wipe dry. Then I use paper towel to apply thin coat of oil... works every time....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • mlc2013
    Options
    Long Island NY    
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,531
    Options
    mlc2013 said:

I basically use the same routine as the hibachi chef's..

I use water, lemon juice, and a rag to clean while smoking hot.  I turn off the burners to cool a bit (~5/10 minutes). I then reapply a coat of shortening to the sides and cook top. 

The best thing to keep the rust off is @Tspud1 's cover
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• mlc2013
    Options
    @billt01. Thanks and excited to get tspuds1 cover. It’s in order already
    Long Island NY    
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Bulk Purchaes of Paper Towels are also in order as well as having a paper towel rack/dispenser at the Blackstone ....and trash can
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • billt01
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Bulk Purchaes of Paper Towels are also in order as well as having a paper towel rack/dispenser at the Blackstone ....and trash can
    this may sound silly, but my daughters have made me the cheap pot holders with their loom sets. I have about 10 I keep in rotation for the cleaning. I use paper towels to re-apply the oil, but the loomed pot holders are excellent for cleaning...

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• lkapigian
    Options
    billt01 said:
    lkapigian said:
    this may sound silly, but my daughters have made me the cheap pot holders with their loom sets. I have about 10 I keep in rotation for the cleaning. I use paper towels to re-apply the oil, but the loomed pot holders are excellent for cleaning...

Not a bad idea !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • mlc2013
    Options
    billt01 do your daughters want to start their own etsy page and start mass marketing them?
    Ill take 10% commission for the idea and will do absolutely nothing to help.

In all seriousness I have no idea what you are talking about can you send an picture of one
    Long Island NY    
  • billt01
    Options
  • EastTNBGE
    EastTNBGE Posts: 74
    Options
    For low carb dieter, there are endless possibilities.  I cooked Tuna Steaks, Scallops, and veggies on mine last night.  No inside the house clean up at all. 

East TN- Large BGE, Cyber Q, Kick-Ash-Basket, Smokeware Cap, Anova Sous Vide, Pizza Stones

#BBN

• mlc2013
    Options
    Thank you.  Being I do not have any children I guess arts and crafts are in my future 
    Long Island NY    
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I'll sometimes run the ringer over mine if I've cooked sticky stuff.  

https://goo.gl/2He4Hy

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • mlc2013
    Options
    @tarheelmatt I watched your YouTube video after I already started to season my grill I never let the grill cool down between coats and I noticed in your video you would apply oil heat the oil wait for the grill to cool really etc. does this mean I did it wrong and have to start over
    Long Island NY    
  • billt01
    edited July 2018
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    @tarheelmatt I watched your YouTube video after I already started to season my grill I never let the grill cool down between coats and I noticed in your video you would apply oil heat the oil wait for the grill to cool really etc. does this mean I did it wrong and have to start over
    Cant speak for @tarheelmatt , but what you are looking for is a black surface (not grey...not dark grey, but black).

If you have coated with ANY oil and have achieved that color on the cooktop, you will be seasoned and non-stick.

This WILL come off though, its not a one and done..(maintenance coat after every cook and cleaning)

Bill
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• mlc2013
    Options
    billt01 said:
    mlc2013 said:
    Cant speak for @tarheelmatt , but what you are looking for is a black surface (not grey...not dark grey, but black).

If you have coated with ANY oil and have achieved that color on the cooktop, you will be seasoned and non-stick.

This WILL come off though, its not a one and done..

Bill
    It’s black so I’m hoping it’s good but not a big deal. I’ll be cooking on it again tonight and if I feel like it being lazy and all I’ll do a few more coats afterwards
    Long Island NY    
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    next time with the burgers try smashing them on a hot dry, not oiled, griddle.  they crust up better and enhances the flavor
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    for low carb slice some summer squash and zukes into 1/2 inch thick circles. griddle them with butter salt and pepper and thyme til golden brown, squeeze a lemon over them or drizzle some cider vinegar on them
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • billt01
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    billt01 said:
    mlc2013 said:

This WILL come off though, its not a one and done..

Bill
    It’s black so I’m hoping it’s good but not a big deal. I’ll be cooking on it again tonight and if I feel like it being lazy and all I’ll do a few more coats afterwards
    keep in mind your great grandparents didn't have special oil to season their cookware..

it was probably just pig fat (and a lot of it). I have a #8 chicken fryer which is ~100+ years old...best pan ever...
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• mlc2013
    Options
    fishlessman thanks going to try the zucchini tonight as i just picked one from the garden a few minutes ago. I love coming home for lunch
    billt01
    very true but for some reason the only oil we have in our house is EVOO and grape seed was looking for the crisco but couldn't find any, I guess ill have to make the next grocery shopping trip as we have list but have never taken them with us to the store
    Long Island NY    
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    No, you're all good.  Many differnent ways to do it.  Just keep it cleaned and oiled and you're good.  If it Fs up, you strip it and start over.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site