Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Instant Pot to buy

Options
Wife thinks we need to get an Instant Pot.   I know almost nothing about them.    What should I consider and what is the best one to buy.
I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston

Comments

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Get the biggest one you can find.  Don't wait.  Don't hesitate.  It will be one of the best purchases of your life.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    The Breville Fast Slow Pro
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    have any of you used the Mealthy multicooker
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    MJG said:
    I hate Walmart 
    I hate them too. They started out great and once they took over they turned to $hit. Not hardly a single American made product in their stores any more. And ironically selling American made products is what initially attracted everyone to them. 
    And another thing I hate about them, I have been in hundreds of Walmart’s and not a single one of them had the Muhle R41. Not one. This is unforgivable.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RichH
    RichH Posts: 41
    Options
    I have the 6qt LUX. Looks like it's only $50 on Amazon right now. They have newer models. They all pretty much do the same thing. So it's up to how much you want to spend. Either way, you can't go wrong.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Smokeware Chimney, Kick Ash basket, Rutland Gasket and BBQ Guru DigiQ

St. Petersburg, FL
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    GoldenQ said:
    have any of you used the Mealthy multicooker
    That's the one I want, but I'm waiting for a sale.
    NOLA
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    edited July 2018
    Options
    We received an 8qt ‘Power Cooker Plus’ for Christmas and have enjoyed some good meals from it including pulled pork, baby backs and whole chickens.  I haven’t done any research but Instant Pot seems to be the most popular and the one we have seems to be a knock off of it sold on QVC and big box stores.  

Super easy to use and good for weeknight cooks.  Key is to get one that has a sauté setting to brown your meat before the cook.  While they have a slow cooker setting I find the trusty old crockpot to be easier for that stuff still since cleanup is easier (ours has a rubber ring and valve to clean where a crockpot is simpler). 

Edit with pics (resized pics this time!):

• Stubby
    Stubby Posts: 134
    Options
    We have 2. The 8 qt for sure is awesome the 3qt i think maybe 4 anyway we use it for rice.. they work great. 
    XL.......for now

Kernersville, NC
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Best? I don't know which is "best". I only have the one. =) But I like it!

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Plus-60-Programmable/dp/B01NBKTPTS/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1532435298&sr=1-2&keywords=Instant+Pot+DUO60+6+Qt+7-in-1

Cornholio said:
    While they have a slow cooker setting I find the trusty old crockpot to be easier for that stuff still since cleanup is easier (ours has a rubber ring and valve to clean where a crockpot is simpler). 
    @Cornholio, you don't need the pressure lid for slow cooking. Don't know about the PowerCooker, but Instant Pot sells a vented glass lid separately for use when you need a lid, but don't want to pressurize. You may already have a lid that would do the job, maybe even the one on your slow cooker. I haven't used my IP as a slow cooker yet, but I did buy the lid.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    edited July 2018
    Options
    @Cornholio, you don't need the pressure lid for slow cooking. Don't know about the PowerCooker, but Instant Pot sells a vented glass lid separately for use when you need a lid, but don't want to pressurize. You may already have a lid that would do the job, maybe even the one on your slow cooker. I haven't used my IP as a slow cooker yet, but I did buy the lid.
    They do sell one but mine did not come with the glass lid and the crockpot is a simple dial for high, low, warm.. You’re right I wouldn’t have to wash the pressure lid if I had the glass one but I do prefer the crockpot for my slow cook still.  My crockpot lid did not fit nor any of my other glass lids and the directions said to use the regular lid with the pressure valve open so in that case I would have more to clean. 
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    Purchase the one your wife likes  ;););)
    IL 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    The ULTRA has more features. We have a 6qt, then bought the 8qt.  The 6qt is going to our daughter. 

You can use the ULTRA function to hold water at a desired temp for Sous Vide. And it is the only model that is "self-sealing" meaning that when you start a pressure setting, it will automatically seal itself. The others, you have to set it to go into pressure mode.  It also has a safety valve that won't allow you to open it until the pressure has sufficiently escaped (not sure about the others on that). 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    According to Cook's Illustrated a whole chicken will fit in an 8-qrt, but not a 6-qrt.  This is true for pressure cookers, although your results/chickens may vary.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Carolina Q
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Botch said:
    According to Cook's Illustrated a whole chicken will fit in an 8-qrt, but not a 6-qrt.  This is true for pressure cookers, although your results/chickens may vary.  
    Nope. I just checked with a 5 1/4 lb frozen bird. Fits in my 6 qt IP, no problem. I doubt it would take one much larger, but this one fit without issue. And if you defrosted it.... and/or cut it up.............

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    ^^^ Huh.
    Well, they've been wrong before (albeit not often).  Thanks for the info.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Botch said:
    Nope. I just checked with a 5 1/4 lb frozen bird. Fits in my 6 qt IP, no problem. I doubt it would take one much larger, but this one fit without issue. And if you defrosted it.... and/or cut it up.............
    With pressure cookers you really need to leave some headspace - a few inches above whatever is in the pot to avoid the chance of any foaming/bubbling vetting into the pressure valves. While a big whole chicken might physically fit in and allow the lid to close Cook's Illustrated might be making their judgement based on insufficient headspace.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    has anyone tried to sous vide using the manual settings on the IP Ultra
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:
    With pressure cookers you really need to leave some headspace - a few inches above whatever is in the pot to avoid the chance of any foaming/bubbling vetting into the pressure valves. While a big whole chicken might physically fit in and allow the lid to close Cook's Illustrated might be making their judgement based on insufficient headspace.
    There was plenty of space. Book calls for no higher than the 2/3 fill line. I was below that, no problem.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RichH
    RichH Posts: 41
    Options
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Smokeware Chimney, Kick Ash basket, Rutland Gasket and BBQ Guru DigiQ

St. Petersburg, FL
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Go for any of the 8qt models.  I use manual and steam 99% of the time.  I’d say that yogurt function is the main difference between models.