Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Beating the heat in the UK

RedSkip
RedSkip Posts: 1,400
I'm sure some of you have seen this already, reminds me something I'd do.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6pgmws
Large BGE - McDonald, PA

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited July 2018
    I hear those 80F heatwaves are brutal. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • OshawaDave
    OshawaDave Posts: 198
    They could spend time sitting in an air conditioned dentist office.....wait a minute there are no dentists in the UK !!

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• SonVolt
    edited July 2018
    Their teeth may not be exemplary by Hollywood standards, but at least they won't be forced into bankruptcy by a root canal or broken ankle.  
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    They could spend time sitting in an air conditioned dentist office.....wait a minute there are no dentists in the UK !!

"However, no detailed research has examined if this is actually true or not," Watt said.

"[And] our results showed that Americans do not have better teeth than the English," he added. "In fact, they had significantly more missing teeth, and inequalities in oral health were much worse in the U.S. compared to England."

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• I do not think they lack dentists, but maybe they lack orthodontists. Regardless, God bless the Brits, they gave the world a lot of great rock and roll, and comedy.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Do all Americans have Hollywood teeth or is that just on TV?
  • Eoin
    SonVolt said:
    Pushing 90F this week, serious heat. It's also rained once in 3 months, having rained constantly up to that point. We had standing water in the fields in April

We are on clay here, my house is cracking up now because the ground is shrinking.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Eoin said:

haha, clearly you have never seen people in the South. And I can say that I'm from and live in the South.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• HeavyG
    Eoin said:
    Of course we all have Hollywood teeth, the streets are paved with gold, all the kids are above average, and everybody belongs to the 1%, and we recently elected the best leader the free world has ever seen.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• TEXASBGE2018
    Eoin said:
    SonVolt said:
    Pushing 90F this week, serious heat. It's also rained once in 3 months, having rained constantly up to that point. We had standing water in the fields in April

We are on clay here, my house is cracking up now because the ground is shrinking.

Man that's pretty bad for your area right? Here it's been over 100 for the last 10 days in the Dallas Area. I think a couple days ago the temp was 108 and the Heat Index was 120, in the shade. I can only imagine what torture it is for the people from Southern Arizona year after year for most of the year. At least its dry heat there. Here its Humid, damp, bug infested nasty heat.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Eoin
    Eoin said:
    SonVolt said:

Man that's pretty bad for your area right? Here it's been over 100 for the last 10 days in the Dallas Area. I think a couple days ago the temp was 108 and the Heat Index was 120, in the shade. I can only imagine what torture it is for the people from Southern Arizona year after year for most of the year. At least its dry heat there. Here its Humid, damp, bug infested nasty heat.
    We don't have aircon and we don't have shutters. Aircon isn't common in Europe even in hot countries, but they usually have external shutters to keep the sun out.

Camping in the van this weekend, going to be warm.
  • SonVolt
    edited July 2018
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    SonVolt said:

We don't have aircon and we don't have shutters. Aircon isn't common in Europe even in hot countries, but they usually have external shutters to keep the sun out.

I like to think of myself as a real man with a hearty smile and a stout back, with grit in his teeth and nails in his knuckles - a man who has never tasted quiche -  but I'll be honest, I wouldn't be long for this world without the modern convenience of HVAC. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    edited July 2018
    SonVolt said:
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    SonVolt said:

I like to think of myself as a real man with a hearty smile and a stout back, with grit in his teeth and nails in his knuckles - a man who has never tasted quiche -  but I'll be honest, I wouldn't be long for this world without the modern convenience of HVAC. 
    It's funny too how little of a change in your AC can make a huge difference in your comfort. The other night we had our AC on 76 with fans on because I was trying to see if I noticed a difference from the 74 we usually keep it on. If you would have told me it was 85 in the house I would have believed you, and then turning it back down to 74 it felt perfect again. Also, if I would have turned it down to 72 it would have been way too cold. 2 degrees difference between sweating inside my own house and comfort.

• Eoin
    SonVolt said:
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    SonVolt said:

It's funny too how little of a change in your AC can make a huge difference in your comfort. The other night we had our AC on 76 with fans on because I was trying to see if I noticed a difference from the 74 we usually keep it on. If you would have told me it was 85 in the house I would have believed you, and then turning it back down to 74 it felt perfect again. Also, if I would have turned it down to 72 it would have been way too cold. 2 degrees difference between sweating inside my own house and comfort.
    I've only been to the US once, when I was 14, stayed with a family in Ames, Iowa, on an exchange. It was August, so hot. I still remember being shocked by the air conditioning and how cold it was in cars and houses, that seemed worse than the heat.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,667
    ac's are for the weak =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TEXASBGE2018
    ac's are for the weak =)

Come down to Texas right now =) We will see if you change that tune.

• TEXASBGE2018
    If you are North of the Mason Dixon line you aren't allowed to talk about it being hot. =)

• fishlessman
    ac's are for the weak =)

Come down to Texas right now =) We will see if you change that tune.
    we dont usually break around 105, 95 and the ambulances are picking up the older crowd around the clock. its 88 right now and im hoping for an early winter, hopefully not as cold as last, -23 for 2 weeks straight, the beer freezes in your hand ;)
    fukahwee maine

• SonVolt
    SonVolt said:
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    SonVolt said:

74? I'd have a heat stroke. We keep ours at 68F in the evenings. I turn it back up to 74F on my way to work. 
  • HeavyG
    ac's are for the weak =)
    You're absolutely right! What are the odds of that? :)

If the weak folks (primarily senior citizens) in the European heatwave a decade+ ago had AC in their dwellings then 30,000+ of them would not have died.

• fishlessman
    HeavyG said:
    ac's are for the weak =)
    You're absolutely right! What are the odds of that? :)

If the weak folks (primarily senior citizens) in the European heatwave a decade+ ago had AC in their dwellings then 30,000+ of them would not have died.

problem here i think is that the old people in town have that yankee stubborn thriftyness and will not turn them on. the sirens are going constantly when it hits mid 90's. after 30 years with no ac in the truck, i broke down and bought one with ac ;)
    fukahwee maine

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    We've been somewhat lucky this summer. Only a few days up around 110F, and only 3 weeks w/o rain.

Our 2 crummy window ACs set to 76 managed to keep the interior temp to only 84, tho they ran non-stop. Managed to back that down a bit by turning a lawn sprinkler onto the south side of the house, which dropped the aluminum siding from 130 to a mere 96.

To Eoin. Don't know what the specifics of your weather have been. Where I live, high heat is mostly accompanied by high humidity. If you have that, a dehumidifier can greatly decrease heat stress. They are typically cheaper to operate than AC, but do require a way to pass off the condensed water. If you have a garden, that can be a +.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    I keep our house cold enough to hang meat in, summer and winter. 
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    My dad grew up on a tobacco farm in the south. No ac for mowt of his early life He called it angel breath.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    SonVolt said:
    30+ Celcius = 86+ Fahrenheit....That's brutal for tea. 
    SonVolt said:
    Indians drink tea. It's hot there. We're still drinking tea in the 'heatwave'.
  • nolaegghead
    Eoin said:
    SonVolt said:
    I was referring to the meal as served outdoors, as you serve the beverage hot.
    edited July 2018
    And the young people of today won’t believe you,

http://youtu.be/ue7wM0QC5LE
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Eoin
    Eoin said:
    SonVolt said:
    You drink tea cold? Sounds delightful.
  • nolaegghead
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    SonVolt said:
    You drink tea cold? Sounds delightful.
    I do.  I'm a philistine of sorts, and it came naturally.  SWMBO does her silly hot tea (of course in a Yeti tumbler) in the morning like a ritual.  Turns out, she had her DNA test and she's the like of you lot, provided you're "real" Irish/Brit fellows.  I'm sure you're tweaked that some DNA tests lump the two together, like cats and dogs are in the pet category. 

Can't get too chatty, as that's frowned upon by the upper crust and all that.