Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT. Ooni? What's the deal?

Options
Uuni has become ooni.   Anyone know why or if this is even legit?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Ikea bought them?  Just guessing.  where are the umlouts?  
    edited July 2018
    Options
    This is on their website ... the URL uk.uuni.net now redirects to ooni.com:

I wonder if they couldn't get the uuni domain off of the original registrants so bought the ooni domain and renamed the company.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Read about that a few days ago. I believe their explanation on their website. I see the uuni.com domain is for sale for $500K but I can't imagine that the Uuni folks really cared enough about switching to a ".com" domain to pay even a tiny fraction of that asking price. In the age of Google is having a ".com" still of any importance?

In other Uuni/Ooni news they will be selling their gas burner in the US in just a couple weeks.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    looks like they sneaked 'oo' flour into their name
    canuckland
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Read about that a few days ago. I believe their explanation on their website. I see the uuni.com domain is for sale for $500K but I can't imagine that the Uuni folks really cared enough about switching to a ".com" domain to pay even a tiny fraction of that asking price. In the age of Google is having a ".com" still of any importance?

In other Uuni/Ooni news they will be selling their gas burner in the US in just a couple weeks.

I'm not sure I'd have a ton of confidence in a company that needed to change its name because they couldn't secure a proper website for their product.  Or because folks couldn't figure out how to pronounce their original name.  This looks like amateur hour.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    HeavyG said:

I'm not sure I'd have a ton of confidence in a company that needed to change its name because they couldn't secure a proper website for their product.  Or because folks couldn't figure out how to pronounce their original name.  This looks like amateur hour.  
    Companies changing names is not unusual. My electric utility company has changed their name about a half dozen times in the last few decades. My phone company has changed its name three or four times in the last few decades.

They already had a "proper website" so I don't really think that was a problem.

The name change may also had to do with seeking a trademark. In Finnish "uuni" means "oven" so it likely wouldn't be granted trademark protection due to being too generic a term. However, in Finnish "ooni" means "better than Roccbox" so getting a trademark should be ok. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

Companies changing names is not unusual. My electric utility company has changed their name about a half dozen times in the last few decades. My phone company has changed its name three or four times in the last few decades.

They already had a "proper website" so I don't really think that was a problem.

The name change may also had to do with seeking a trademark. In Finnish "uuni" means "oven" so it likely wouldn't be granted trademark protection due to being too generic a term. However, in Finnish "ooni" means "better than Roccbox" so getting a trademark should be ok. :)
    Good luck to them.  I wish them nothing but the best.  

It will be interesting to see comparisons to the Roccbox once the gas unit is reviewed.  The upside I see is the larger stone (although the utility for Neapolitan-style pies is debatable).  The downside is that it’s nowhere near as portable.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    HeavyG said:
     However, in Finnish "ooni" means "better than Roccbox" so getting a trademark should be ok. :)
    OK, that was funny!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited July 2018
    Options
    SyFy. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    This name change should do wonders for branding.  

Saw that gas burner is avail for pre order because forst batch sold out...

Glad i did wait this long...wouldve missed out on a ton of pie practice
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    OONI has been blowing up the advertisements on Facebook so I asked the question and got an answer. 

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!