Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ron, I won the 5406!!!!!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    Scottie - a serious question - shaving twice a day plus all that full body stuff then when you go out on the cable/pipe laying boats for months at a time - how do you get or take all your shaving accessories, pounds upon pounds of shaving soaps let alone gallons of after shave liquids? Do you ship ahead? Have it drop shipped or what? Also...are those boats you are on so heavy that they don't sway - so you don't worry about whacking your nose off, or "other appendigies" when doing that full body shaving? 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    my barber has used a clauss 5406 on me and it was bbs again im no expert on razors so it may have been a different model but definitely comes out of a clauss box has a back handle and pretty sure he said it was a 5406 when I questioned after giving me a clean shave with 2 passes with me going in with month old beard

Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Can the 5406 be used on eyebrows?

Phoenix 
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    blasting said:

I think a Magic Eraser would work best on most of those. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    In high school we dared our friend to shave his eyebrows off. He thought it would be funny. So he went and did it. He regretted it shortly afterwards. Especially when having to go back to school that Monday. With him being conscious about how he looked Monday morning at school we convinced him that we needed to color in some fake eyebrows with markers so no one would notice. So we gave our friend some eyebrows between class. The best part was that we gave him "The Rock" eyebrow. Which made it 10× more obvious that he didn't have eyebrows and he looked like he was giving everyone the "stink eye" when looking at him. He just thought we gave him a normal eyebrows for the day. Oh the good ole days...

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Thanks for posting your address Scottie. Don’t be surprised when the alternative lifestyle magazines start showing up. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Thanks for posting your address Scottie. Don’t be surprised when the alternative lifestyle magazines start showing up. 
    I hear ya brother. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited July 2018
    Options

RRP said:
    Scottie - a serious question - shaving twice a day plus all that full body stuff then when you go out on the cable/pipe laying boats for months at a time - how do you get or take all your shaving accessories, pounds upon pounds of shaving soaps let alone gallons of after shave liquids? Do you ship ahead? Have it drop shipped or what? Also...are those boats you are on so heavy that they don't sway - so you don't worry about whacking your nose off, or "other appendigies" when doing that full body shaving? 

@RRP
     Ron, when I go offshore I take a cup of shaving cream, not my soap. A tub of shaving cream when used properly will last many months. A box of 50 DE Blades will fit in the palm of my hand and will last a few months as well. The only other items I take are a polypropylene travel scuttle. Not one of my ceramic scuttles or lather bowls. On that note, sometimes I do take a small SS bowl in place of the travel scuttle. Other than those items the only other shaving products that I carry are a brush and the DE razor it’s self. It really doesn’t take up much room at all. Here is a typical travel shaving setup.  
    A bowl of cream, a small SS lather bowl, DE razor in its protective case, a brush in its protective case and a box of 50 DE blades. 

The box of blades in the Big Hand for a size comparison. 

So you see, with only minimal gear and a little forethought, a man can get a great shave under any conditions and in any environment.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 840
    Options
    @SGH what’s your favorite blade to use?  Been a DE shaver for several years and have tried a few brands of blades but open to hearing better options.
  • SGH
    Options
    @SGH what’s your favorite blade to use?  Been a DE shaver for several years and have tried a few brands of blades but open to hearing better options.
    Feather. There is simply no other blade like it. It’s the blade that all others are judged against. 
    With that said, it’s also the most dangerous blade. It’s by far the sharpest and has a very wicked blade angle. If you have never used them before I urge you to start out cautiously with them. Especially in an “aggressive” razor.  

Status- Standing by.

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    @SGH - moderation is for suckers - damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead.

Balls to the walls, always.

Go big or go home!

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Can you send me one of your reject  straight razors 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SGH
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Are you serious? If you are I might just be able to help you out. So many people make fun of my shaving posts I never know who is being serious and who is just jerking my chain. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options

Here is what you are looking for my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 840
    Options
    SGH said:
    Feather. There is simply no other blade like it. It’s the blade that all others are judged against. 
    With that said, it’s also the most dangerous blade. It’s by far the sharpest and has a very wicked blade angle. If you have never used them before I urge you to start out cautiously with them. Especially in an “aggressive” razor.  
    I have feathers and agree on the sharpness and the aggressive blade angle.  I have some Gillette  blues that are my favorite.  I have a basic level merkur that I couldn’t even tell you the model.  I shave in a rush too often to use an aggressive razor.
  • SGH
    edited July 2018
    Options
    SGH said:
    I have feathers and agree on the sharpness and the aggressive blade angle.  I have some Gillette  blues that are my favorite.  I have a basic level merkur that I couldn’t even tell you the model.  I shave in a rush too often to use an aggressive razor.
    For a good quality shave and a blade that will hold up well, take a look at Astra and Gillette 7oclock blades. They are a step down in aggressiveness from the Feathers. 

Status- Standing by.

• Spaightlabs
    edited July 2018
    Options
    SGH said:
    Agree 200% - 2 years of shaves for $25.

https://www.ebay.com/p/100-Ct-Feather-Hi-stainless-Double-Edge-De-Razor-Blades-Hair-Remove-Made/22017891695?iid=282854859225

I bought enough blades to last me until I retire last time I purchased.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Spaightlabs
    If I may ask, what DE razor do you use?

Status- Standing by.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    SGH said:  So many people make fun of my shaving posts I never know who is being serious and who is just jerking my chain. 

Clarity is important when trolling.

Phoenix 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    blasting said:

Troll level-expert
  • SGH
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    my barber has used a clauss 5406 on me and it was bbs again im no expert on razors so it may have been a different model but definitely comes out of a clauss box has a back handle and pretty sure he said it was a 5406 when I questioned after giving me a clean shave with 2 passes with me going in with month old beard

The 5406 is a timeless classic my friend. What makes it so great is it’s size, shape and grind. It’s not super aggressive nor oversized so a beginner is fine with this razor. However it’s aggressive enough that a seasoned shaver can easily get a BBS shave. The blade size is almost perfect. It’s large enough to clean the cheeks in 2 or 3 swipes just depending on the size and shape of the said cheeks. Yet it is small enough for good upper lip work. 
    Sure there are more aggressive razors, there is certainly bigger razors, but when you take everything into consideration the ole 5406 is a tough act to follow for luxury shaving. The size, shape, grind and Rockwell hardness make this the Cadillac of straights. The fact that it was American made doesn’t hurt either. 

Status- Standing by.

• Spaightlabs
    Options
    @SGH I use a Muhle R89.  I bought it 4 days before our house burned down and is one of the few things that survived the fire.
  • SGH
    Options
    @SGH I use a Muhle R89.  I bought it 4 days before our house burned down and is one of the few things that survived the fire.
    Sorry to hear about your home my friend. That is truly awful. Glad that you are ok though. 
    On a separate note, that’s a great choice in razors.  

Status- Standing by.

• Spaightlabs
    Options
    It was a blessing in disguise.  We got rid of 30 years of clutter in one day and got a much nicer rebuild and all new stuff. New isn't always better, but it's still new.  Inconvenient for 6 months and I still think of things we lost but didn't claim (was looking for a torque wrench today...gone) but all in all, we were exceptionally fortunate. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    SGH said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Are you serious? If you are I might just be able to help you out. So many people make fun of my shaving posts I never know who is being serious and who is just jerking my chain. 
    Serious, than you.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    @SGH  congrats on the win   give yourself the SGH Seal of Approval!   I havent seen it for awhile and this event certainly merits it!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Better to be lucky than good.  Congrats on the win.  "Clean shaving and sheer desire" sounds appropriate here.  Enjoy.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Sunk...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Sunk...
    What the heck.....

Status- Standing by.