Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st time Wagyu Steak

Options
2»

Comments

• dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    Isn’t there some sort of registry for pedantics?
    Steak looks great, btw. 
    Eight year olds, Dude.
    Seriously, dude. Did five years in Chino.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Look, just because he buys his wagyu at bed, bath, and beyond doesnt mean its NOT wagyu. 
    Best steaks in the world are from there. They have kick a$$ gelato too.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    SonVolt said:
    SonVolt said:

SonVolt said:
    DMW said:
    Looks great. Now, don't take this next part wrong, I'm going to be pedantic.

Reverse seared the steak at 275 and then removed the plate setter and cooked on each side for 1min at 600.
    Reverse searing refers to the complete process of gentle cooking under low heat, followed by a hot sear. What you did was slow roast or smoke at 275, followed by sear. You did not reverse sear at 275, and then cook at 600.

I've seen this nomenclature used before, and it's always bugged me for some reason.

Again, it is unimportant, and I'm being pedantic.

Kenji is that you? I’ve seen him make this same claim before to try and take ownership of the term since he first popularized it back when he worked for CI. Personally I disagree and think the term has been adopted by the public and evolved enough that searing after the interior is up to temp is enough to qualify for “reverse sear”. 
    Dwayne’s comment is a reference to redundancy, nothing more.
    Too many Zimas tonight. I think you’re right. 
    LOL man I really cannot believe you tracked that stuff down AND drank some of it.

First thing I ever got drunk off as a late teen. It’ll always have a special place in my heart. 
    With or without Jolly Ranchers?

With! That’s hilarious. I thought that was just a local thing. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I posted you a jolly rancher pic earlier. 

Little Rock, AR

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options

Didnt draw much applause in the “favorite bourbon” thread. 

Little Rock, AR

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options

I don’t know who came up with that combo, but they should be taken out back to the woodshed and whipped like a rented mule.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options

Little Rock, AR

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited July 2018
    Options

Not sure how I missed that, haha. We used to drop Jolly Ranchers in bottles of Sprite and tell the ladies in the church youth group we were crunk. So stupid... so hilarious in retrospect.  
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    I'd like to have that for breakfast!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• BigGreenBean
    BigGreenBean Posts: 117
    Options
    Nice!  I'm for more steaks and less pedantics.  
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    That’s a nice step up from your “can’t find a butcher near me” thread a couple weeks ago. 
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    @TEXASBGE2018 - I used to buy Heartbrand steaks by the dozens because I had a connection that allowed me to buy with a massive discount (about 50%, I think).  That source has since dried up, but it was good beef.  I went through several hundred, I'm sure.

I'm certain that strip had much more detailed and fine marbling than showed up in your pic.  For some reason, pics never show the full extent of marbling.  I take pics of insanely marbled Wagyu pieces all the time, only to be disappointed in how different the pic appears in comparison to reality.  I'm not sure why that phenomenon occurs.  Using the flash helps, but then makes the pic appear odd in other ways.

Great cook!
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    cssmd27 said:
    @TEXASBGE2018 - I used to buy Heartbrand steaks by the dozens because I had a connection that allowed me to buy with a massive discount (about 50%, I think).  That source has since dried up, but it was good beef.  I went through several hundred, I'm sure.

I'm certain that strip had much more detailed and fine marbling than showed up in your pic.  For some reason, pics never show the full extent of marbling.  I take pics of insanely marbled Wagyu pieces all the time, only to be disappointed in how different the pic appears in comparison to reality.  I'm not sure why that phenomenon occurs.  Using the flash helps, but then makes the pic appear odd in other ways.

Great cook!
    These were prime filets from Costco... window light, with an iPhone. No flash... had them a couple of weeks ago. 

• MN-Egger
    MN-Egger Posts: 133
    Options
    I bought one Wagyu Ribeye and the company actually went to Japan and was present at the grading ceremony. It was amazing and like no meat I have ever eaten. 

--
    Jeff
    Near Twin Cities, MN
    Large BGE
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    That’s a beautifully cooked steak. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • rtgurley
    rtgurley Posts: 44
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Can't get that stuff at Kroger.

Edit:  I just saw that this place in on my way home.  Gonna have to stop there on my next charcoal run to ACE.  Gotta see what this Rockwood is all about.
    XL BGE 
    Saints fan stuck in Dallas
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    rtgurley said:
    Can't get that stuff at Kroger.

Edit:  I just saw that this place in on my way home.  Gonna have to stop there on my next charcoal run to ACE.  Gotta see what this Rockwood is all about.

Ya, I always buy my Rockwood at that Ace Hardware. Its on my daily drive home as well. They are a really cool Butchershop. Sat and talked to me for about 20min asking what kinda of stuff I like cooking on the egg. One of the owners has one I think.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• KennyCJR
    KennyCJR Posts: 262
    Options
    There’s a joke here somewhere...hmmm...something, something, half inch ribeye.  :lol:
    Llano, TX   -  Med and XL BGE’s
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Absolutely beautiful cook.  Deep Cuts is one of our favorites too.  They take the time to chat and get to know you and how you cook.  Been saving our Deep Cuts 20 dollar gift card (from the Sunnylands Eggfest) but I think it is time to cash it in.  Next time you are there have them grind up some beef for hamburger....
    For a real treat get couple of shank bones from them. Split lengthwise and grilled on egg with thyme till bubbly then take  piece of dry toasted bread that has been rubbed with garlic and slather that marrow on the bread..... garlic bread nervana. 
    Which Ace do you go to for your Rockwell lump? We go up to CGS to get ours...double bonus...get good lump, get to visit with a good friend and there is always something egg related to buy. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Absolutely beautiful cook.  Deep Cuts is one of our favorites too.  They take the time to chat and get to know you and how you cook.  Been saving our Deep Cuts 20 dollar gift card (from the Sunnylands Eggfest) but I think it is time to cash it in.  Next time you are there have them grind up some beef for hamburger....
    For a real treat get couple of shank bones from them. Split lengthwise and grilled on egg with thyme till bubbly then take  piece of dry toasted bread that has been rubbed with garlic and slather that marrow on the bread..... garlic bread nervana. 
    Which Ace do you go to for your Rockwell lump? We go up to CGS to get ours...double bonus...get good lump, get to visit with a good friend and there is always something egg related to buy. 
    I get mine from the ace hardware next to deep cuts. I also like how deep cuts sells individual beef plate ribs. I will definitely be back.

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    That looks really good @TEXASBGE2018, top work.
  • OshawaDave
    OshawaDave Posts: 198
    Options
    hapster said:
    cssmd27 said:

Great cook!
    These were prime filets from Costco... window light, with an iPhone. No flash... had them a couple of weeks ago. 

Great looking steaks. Not to high jack the thread, but Costco has some great steaks. Not sure if the same in the US, but, in Canada, Costco offers strip loin, Fillet and ribeye in blue packaging with a gold star, higher quality than their standard AAA beef and it's great. I cooked these Costco ribeye's a couple of weeks ago

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    MN-Egger said:
    I bought one Wagyu Ribeye and the company actually went to Japan and was present at the grading ceremony. It was amazing and like no meat I have ever eaten. 

Definitely Wagyu!!   Look at that fat.....wow   Glad you enjoyed it