Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ground Lamb Kofte

Options
dmchicago
dmchicago Posts: 4,516
edited July 2018 in EggHead Forum
I'm a bachelor for another week and I love trying out new meals on the Egg during this sad and difficult time.

Tonight, it's Ground Lamb Kofte. It says if cooking over charcoal, do not close the lid. This is not an Egg specific recipe, mind you. It mentions using briquettes. 

I'm hesitant to cook with the lid open on the Egg due to concerns that the fire will rage out of control. It calls for an aprox. 10 - 15 minute cook time.

Any experienced Kofte cookers out there?
The goal:

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
Dennis - Austin,TX

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,742
    edited July 2018
    Options
    500 dome lid closed for the sear then shut the vents for a short dwell, more detail here

httpsusv-cdnnet5017260uploadsFileUploadc032ddb3a358d968b9545adbb1c789cbjpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    We do koftas at lease once a week. Usually a bit thicker than the picture and no need to bother with a skewer, it just takes up space and lamb binds together fine. Lamb is fatty, open lid = flames. 
  • dmchicago
    Options
    500 dome lid closed for the sear then shut the vents for a short dwell, more detail here

httpsusv-cdnnet5017260uploadsFileUploadc032ddb3a358d968b9545adbb1c789cbjpg

Thanks!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • dmchicago
    Options
    Eoin said:
    We do koftas at lease once a week. Usually a bit thicker than the picture and no need to bother with a skewer, it just takes up space and lamb binds together fine. Lamb is fatty, open lid = flames. 
    Great advice. My recipe uses unflavored gelatin as a binder.

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Get the egg up to about 350. Grid on the fire ring, direct.  Shut the lower vent. Open lid and grill away. 

If using skewers, place two bricks wrapped in foil on the grid, for the skewer ends to rest on, keeping the meat off the grid. Regular bricks are fine and won’t spall. Works best with flat or squarish skewers, as they won’t roll on the bricks. My skewers are flat and long enough that I just lay them across the rim of the base. 

And if you knead   the meat well, you shouldn’t need any binders. They mess up the flavor (egg, flour, gelatin, etc. ). Kneading releases myosin, which will help bind the meat.

You know you’ve kneaded enough when a golf ball sized portion doesn’t fall off your hand when turned upside down. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Sounds like the voice of experience to me. Thanks because we are preached to not knead burger.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    I always make up koftas by hand, squeezing the lamb to mix in finely chopped onion and chilli. Then it binds well. 
  • dmchicago
    Options
    caliking said:
    Get the egg up to about 350. Grid on the fire ring, direct.  Shut the lower vent. Open lid and grill away. 

If using skewers, place two bricks wrapped in foil on the grid, for the skewer ends to rest on, keeping the meat off the grid. Regular bricks are fine and won’t spall. Works best with flat or squarish skewers, as they won’t roll on the bricks. My skewers are flat and long enough that I just lay them across the rim of the base. 

And if you knead   the meat well, you shouldn’t need any binders. They mess up the flavor (egg, flour, gelatin, etc. ). Kneading releases myosin, which will help bind the meat.

You know you’ve kneaded enough when a golf ball sized portion doesn’t fall off your hand when turned upside down. 
    Good stuff. Thanks!

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    I decided to check out kofte or kofta recipes, I always used the spices for our moussaka recipe with a little grated onion and garlic. Everything from pomegranate molasses to sumac for ingredients. I might have to try a few of them.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    My brother-in-laws's Turkish wife introduced kofte to us. She made them w. what she had, an electric stove's bottom grill. Brought to the table browned all over, so I have to suppose she turned them. Still in a bubbling layer of rendered fat in the pan. I've never been able to do better.

I keep the dome down, except for turning. Cooked direct, the balls/lumps get at least 500F heat.

I've been happy w. gelatin in many lean ground meats. Not as a binder, but because it adds succulence and gets crisp itself.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    What cali said.  Salt and working the meat gives you myosin glue.  Dunno if you read the thread that revolved around the test in making a juicy burger.  In this case what you want is the opposite of a burger, more like a sausage consistency.
    edited July 2018
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    I decided to check out kofte or kofta recipes, I always used the spices for our moussaka recipe with a little grated onion and garlic. Everything from pomegranate molasses to sumac for ingredients. I might have to try a few of them.
    @GrillSgt Love me some Moussaka and Pilaf!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SWMBO makes a killer moussaka.  Takes a lot of work, hours.
    Options
    SWMBO makes a killer moussaka.  Takes a lot of work, hours.
    @nolaegghead that would make mom mom proud---without a doubt a regular and favorite dish growing up and still today....Of course none of my friends growing knew what it was, I was the lone Armenian around
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    I plan on cooking the next one in BGE. I would describe my wife's as killer also.
  • caliking
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    If you go looking for pomegranate molasses , they will likely have za'atar as well. A good addition to this kind of thing .

Also, onions can sometimes release water and make the kebab fall apart. Yellow more so than red onions, in my experience. 

After grating the onions, salt them lightly with a portion of the salt from the recipe, then wrap in a kitchen towel and wring out the water before adding to the meat mix. 

• caliking
    edited July 2018
    Options
    And at the risk of derailing the OP's thread... Moussaka recipes, please? :)

• dmchicago
    Options
    caliking said:
    And at the risk of detailing the OP's thread... Moussaka recipes, please? :)
    That ship has sailed but in a good direction.

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
  • dmchicago
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Shaped and chilling. 

Think I’ll skip the skewers. 

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    We have used several over the years but this is the best we have had. Food 52 is a great resource. 

https://food52.com/recipes/21212-versatile-moussaka

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    ^^^^^^^Bombdiggity^^^^^^^^
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    Options
    Nice! Looks like a home run :)

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GrillSgt
    Options
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    I need to give that a whirl. 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Looks great! Nice dog too.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA