Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I think I took my brisket too far!

Options
PhilXman
PhilXman Posts: 18
Hello Everyone. 
I just got my first BGE for Fathers Day. 
Just joined the forum last night. 
Last night I started a 14 lb brisket at 10.
Stalled at 164
Watched it rise to 170 ish and wrapped with BP. 
Started checking for tenderness at 190. 
It looked good at 190. 
But under the BP it was wet and roast like. 
Put it back on the egg unwrapped for 30 minutes to try and bet back the bark. (I think this might have been where I went wrong)
After this the flat seemed like it was going to pull not slice nicely. 
Average IT was 190. 
Put it in foil and in a cooler now it’s resting. 
I will post pics when it finishes. 
QUESTIONS
Should I have just skipped putting it back on the egg and took it right to the cooler?
Do you BP wrapped briskets maintain the bark?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Cannot comment on the use of BP as I get lazy as the cook closes in on the finish-line, although I have gone down that road a few times.  You may be pleasantly surprised by the magic properties of the FTC (or not).
    The key to declaring victory with any brisket cook for me is the "feel in the thick part of the flat." If probing smooth, "like buttah" you are there.  
    And always remember, the friggin cow drives the cook!
    This link may give you some insights:  FWIW-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnRRDSYgdmw
    BTW- welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I think you’re golden, it’ll be good!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • PhilXman
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Thank you lousupcap
    What is FTC?
  • PhilXman
    Options
    Thanks Hans61
    I’ll post pics soon. 
  • Leopoldstoch
    Leopoldstoch Posts: 1,182
    Options
    PhilXman said:
    Thank you lousupcap
    What is FTC?
    Foil, towel, cooler resting method 

Brandon - Ohio

• PhilXman
    Options
    PhilXman said:
    Thank you lousupcap
    What is FTC?
    Foil, towel, cooler resting method 
    Ahhh! Thanks Leo
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    typically the butcher paper wrap is something you would use to arrest further bark development while it needs more time cooking.
    edited July 2018
    Options
    typically the butcher paper wrap is something you would use to arrest further bark development while it needs more time cooking.
    That’s what I was thinking noaegghead but it softened it. At least during this cook it did. 
  • PhilXman
    edited July 2018
    Options
    It was a good meal. It wasn’t great brisket. It was dry. I took it too far. I should have stopped at 185 when it was tender. Of course everyone said it was fantastic. But we all know that guests will say it was. Still a great time with friends. Its a learning experience. Next time watch out!!  
    I'll be cutting into the point tomorrow. I’ll see how that turned out. FYI if you noticed the condiment in the pic, the wife always puts out horseradish. No one used it. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Fyi, dry brisket is usually under done.  If it crumbles apart it is over done.  In my experience, the magic mark is over 200.

oh, and horseradish is always out at my house too.  I love horseradish.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Welcome, that meal looks good to me!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• lousubcap
    Options
    You are in for a treat if you haven't tried the point yet.  Enjoy.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    I’ll bet the Tito’s got used!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Looks awesome to me.  But it's hard to determine moist/dry from pics on the interwebs.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• bird_dog0347
    Options
    201-203 is when it's done... 190 wasn't there yet.
  • PhilXman
    Options
    201-203 is when it's done... 190 wasn't there yet.
    That’s what I thought bird dog  but the flat was dry. I think my probe needs to be fully in the flat when monitoring temp. 
  • PhilXman
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    I’ll bet the Tito’s got used!
    Tito’s was gone brotha 
  • PhilXman
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Lou- you were correct it was the better part of the brisket. That being said since the flat was dry and the point was better. What did I do wrong?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    PhilXman said:
    lousubcap said:
    Lou- you were correct it was the better part of the brisket. That being said since the flat was dry and the point was better. What did I do wrong?
     If it was dry, but not crumbly, it was under done.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • lousubcap
    Options
    PhilXman said:
    lousubcap said:
    As you are aware, a packer brisket is two different hunks of protein, the points nd flat.  the point contains a whole lot more fat than the point-that's why the finish-line is determined by the flat as the point can handle whatever amount of cook-time to get the flat to yield.  
    Since the flat is effectively lean it has a very narrow window when finished (between under and over-cooked).  The key is to declare victory when the great majority of the flat "probes like buttah"; give the cow a cooling rack rest then FTC for a few hours til slicing on demand.  FWIW-