Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Time required

Options
Redneck
Redneck Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How long does it take from start up ( lighting the Egg ) to desired temperatures. What is the easiest way to get the Egg lit. Thanks

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Redneck,[p]I use a webber fire cube under the grate (mine is a cast iron trivet) if I am going for 300 deg or more (grilling) and I will start it from the top for 220-275 deg cooks because the firebox will most likely be full for a long slow cook. I fill the firebox 1/2 to 3/4 full for grilling.[p]My large takes maybe 15-20 min to get to 300 deg and the small takes maybe 20-25 to get to 350 deg ( I use it fro grilling only). Times will vary but this is average. [p]Tim
  • Redneck
    Redneck Posts: 20
    Options
    Tim M,[p]Thanks, [p]I just wanted to know if I was in the Ball Park. I will put the Webber Fire cube to use. [p]Again Thanks[p]Redneck[p]

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Options
    Tim M,
    Are you saying you use an iron trivet, instead of the ceramic grate? If so, for durability? Is it convex-shaped like the ceramic grate? What happened...crack one or two original equipment ceramic grates? Thanks...Steve

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Big Murth,
    Tim has a picture of the trivet on his site. Maybe he will jump in with the link shortly. I have been using the trivet for over a year. My ceramic grate is still in perfect condition...in a box in the garage. The trivet has more holes, and works great for high temp cooks (allowing more airfow), as well as low/slow cooks (where it is less prone to clogging).[p]Definitely have gotten my 10 bucks worth.
    Cheers! Snow's comin tomorrow.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    grate1.jpg
    <p />Big Murth,[p]Times like this I wish there was a FAQ section of the website. The cast iron trivet threads are going to start again.[p]About 2-2.5 yrs ago the idea that a cast iron trivet made by Lodge would/could replace the ceramic grate. Not for durability, albeit that is a huge advantage, but rather for increase air flow for feeding the fire. It allows easier starting from under the grate, faster time to temp, as well as a grate that won't break. [p]Like Nature Boy said, Good value for $8-10 bucks. I flip mine over every 6 months or so to prevent it from sagging and I have had it for 2+ years. Most any hardware store that sells cast iron Lodge products will have the 8" trivet. Other things works well too. Expanded metal mesh cut to size is great too. I have a 4-5" circle of that in my small and it is going strong, no sag in a year of use. I don't have a picture of it.[p]You can order it at http://www.lodgemfg.com/cookware.htm item #8DOT2 - $7.95[p]The picture shows my large Egg the day I added the trivet. It's still there and works fine.[p]Tim
  • Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Options
    Tim M,
    Yeah, you're right, a FAQ section would make it easier on everyone, especially you veteran Eggerz who probably get the same questions and queries, over and over. You'll have to excuse my inquisitiveness...I'm just pretty pumped about the Egg, and like most stuff, am always interested in anything that enhances performance and durability.
    Thanks to you and Natureboy for the info.
    Big Murth