Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for a tried and true recipe for a once removed gumbo virgin.

Options

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    SGH said:
    Ron, this is not a hijack. Just sharing something I know you will like. I have it on good authority that copper lathering bowls will be available this fall from Captains Choice. A copper bowl will be a much better choice for traveling than ceramic or porcelain. Here is a shot of the prototype.

I wonder if it will be large enough to hold my electric shaver I use daily! Sorry but I haven't used a blade in maybe 40 or 45 years now!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    RRP said:
     Sorry but I haven't used a blade in maybe 40 or 45 years now!
    It’s time to start back. Way past time my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I'd like to know specifically what that "something fairly oily" was. 
    Well - even when the container she sent over is at 34 degrees the oil floats freely when stirred. OTOH if it was grease or even butter then that would be solid. Besides that when the neighbor handed me the sealed container I didn't realize the thing was full and the lid leaked on my good shirt. My wife has attempted 3 times now to get the stain out - but it looks like I have a shirt to wear for yard work or painting...that's why I still say it was oily.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Get yourself a copy of " The Prudhomme Family Cookbook". It has great section on gumbo, blackening, how to make a roux and jambalaya. I doubt if it's in print still but I bet you could get it on Amazon or ebay. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    was going to post a gumbo recipe but looks like this is now a manscaping thread.  nevermind.
    Options
    Given my southern heritage, I feel I must post on this subject. 

I’ve used Alton Brown’s recipe for making the roux with some success - 1/2 cup flour + 1/2 cup veg oil in a DO. In the oven at 350F for 90 mins. Stir every 30mins. Pull it out and add The Trinity. The world is your oyster from then on - add spices, proteins etc. to your liking. 

Note : AB’s method for the roux originally called for equal parts flour and oil BY WEIGHT , but this detail has been lost. It still works rather well if you do it by volume. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SGH
    Options
    was going to post a gumbo recipe but looks like this is now a manscaping thread.  nevermind.
    Post the mother flipping recipe. We can cook and shave at the same time =)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options

try chefwil"s recipe from the old forum

did the roux stove top

100_1678jpg

Stew, Gumbo, Chicken & Sausage, Chef Wil

INGREDIENTS:
    2 cups Peanut oil
    2 cups all purpose flour
    1 large onion, 1 med. Bell pepper, and 2 ribs of celery (chopped)
    2 lbs Fresh pork sausage (cut in 3 in. lengths)
    1 lb Smoked sausage (sliced)
    2 49 1/2 Ozs Can Swansons chicken broth + 3 cups water
    6 boneless chicken breasts ( cut in fourths and seasoned with salt and pepper )
    1 Bunch Cut green onions
    1 Bunch Chopped fresh parsley
    8 hungry people or 4 cajuns….(wink)
    I used an 8 qt. dutch oven

Procedure:
    1 First you make the roux
    2 cups of peanut oil and 2 cups of all purpose flour
    3 (the peanut oil has a higher smoking point and a nutty flavor )
    4 Heat oil until it is about 350 degrees, add flour, being careful not to burn yourself because the flour does contain moisture, stir constantly and lower your fire so it does not scorch. Cook roux until it looks a little darker than peanut butter. Add chopped veggies, lower your fire to low and cook until veggies are partially caramelized. It will look like a nice cocoa color at this point.This really needs to be done on the stovetop so you can have more control over it. If you burn or scorch this, throw it away and start over, it’s the most important part of gumbo and the least expensive to throw out if need be. Move pot to the BGE that has been pre-heated to about 350. Add your fresh and smoked sausages in the pot and cook them for about 20 minutes. Add stock and water and cook until it starts to boil around the edges of pot. Add chicken and cook for about 1 hour or until meat is cooked. Adjust seasonings to your taste. Add green onions and parsley. Skim off any oil that may have surfaced. Greasy gumbo is not too appetizing. Serve in large bowls with white rice. A side of baked sweet potato or potato salad with crusty french bread is a must. Using this recipe for the roux, you have the basics, from here you can make seafood gumbo, shrimp and okra, duck and andoouille, really any combinations work. It is even common in South Louisiana to mix meats like chicken, sausage, shrimp, and oysters.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • EggbertGreenII
    Options
    Here's a recipe we got from the now-defunct Tampa Tribune back in the early 80's. It's tasty and uses smoked sausage rather than andoullie sausage. The recipe is entitled, "Miss Tootie's Shrimp Gumbo" as best I can recall. Not sure if it would pass as authentically Cajun, but we like it.

Tampa Bay, Florida
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited July 2018
    Options
    My grandmother would kill me if I gave away the family gumbo recipe, but I will help you by saying the key is a good roux and the key to a good roux is equal parts Oil and Flour. I usually use Crisco or Lard. Usually 1 cup of each. The other key is making sure it doesn't burn at all by stirring constantly. Some people like it super dark others lighter. We typically go for a color slightly darker than peanut butter.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• smokeybreeze
    smokeybreeze Posts: 216
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I read through a bunch of these recipes, but not all, so I may have missed it... The one ingredient I see missing in all these creole recipes is powdered sassafras leaves (AKA filé powder). Try it for a nice subtle improvement in your favorite recipe.

• abtaylor260
    abtaylor260 Posts: 242
    Options
    Watch some YouTube videos on Justin Wilson making gumbo. I watched him as a kid and he made delicious looking Cajun food and explained thoroughly how to do it.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    An interesting, even inspirational, thread. For me anyway. To the best of my recollection, I have never had a single dish for which New Orleans is known. Or if I have, it was not well prepared and therefore, very forgettable. No gumbo, no jambalaya, no etouffée, no muffulettas, no beignets, no red beans and rice, no crawfish or blackened redfish and most assuredly, no oysters (except a couple of times long ago when I swore I'd never do THAT again-and haven't)!! Never had (or even SEEN) andouille sausage and I don't even know what tasso is!!! Hey, at least I've heard of it. I keep meaning to try something, but so far, no.

If you were to put bowls of gumbo, jambalaya and etouffée in front of me, I wouldn't have a clue which was which. Pretty sad, eh? No real reason except I've never lived or traveled anywhere where it was a thing. Mom never cooked it, wife never did either. We used to have neighbors from Louisiana and even they didn't serve it.

Couple of months ago, I actually bought an oyster shucking knife. It's still in the package. I even have a supposed recipe for Drago's chargrilled oysters. My son swears they won't kill me though I'm not convinced. I'm quite sure RAW ones would (no intention of finding out).

So there's the knife, and I have bookmarked this thread. And NolaCuisine. But so far, I have cooked / eaten NOTHING! :rofl: Anyway, thanks for the inspiration. I promise to post if I ever cook anything à la Loosiana.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    An interesting, even inspirational, thread. For me anyway. To the best of my recollection, I have never had a single dish for which New Orleans is known. Or if I have, it was not well prepared and therefore, very forgettable. No gumbo, no jambalaya, no etouffée, no muffulettas, no beignets, no red beans and rice, no crawfish or blackened redfish and most assuredly, no oysters (except a couple of times long ago when I swore I'd never do THAT again-and haven't)!! Never had (or even SEEN) andouille sausage and I don't even know what tasso is!!! Hey, at least I've heard of it. I keep meaning to try something, but so far, no.

If you were to put bowls of gumbo, jambalaya and etouffée in front of me, I wouldn't have a clue which was which. Pretty sad, eh? No real reason except I've never lived or traveled anywhere where it was a thing. Mom never cooked it, wife never did either. We used to have neighbors from Louisiana and even they didn't serve it.

Couple of months ago, I actually bought an oyster shucking knife. It's still in the package. I even have a supposed recipe for Drago's chargrilled oysters. My son swears they won't kill me though I'm not convinced. I'm quite sure RAW ones would (no intention of finding out).

So there's the knife, and I have bookmarked this thread. And NolaCuisine. But so far, I have cooked / eaten NOTHING! :rofl: Anyway, thanks for the inspiration. I promise to post if I ever cook anything à la Loosiana.
    Sounds like you need to get out more and expand your culinary horizon.
    Options
    I have an old Charleston cookbook with an awesome gumbo recipe. I'll see if I can find it.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Smokeware Chimney, Kick Ash basket, Rutland Gasket and BBQ Guru DigiQ

St. Petersburg, FL
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Try Emerils chicken and sausage gumbo food networrk     but get the one with chicken thigs
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    bumped a couple gumbo threads.  Sadly one doesn't have a gumbo recipe, but this one does

Options
    Sounds like you need to get out more and expand your culinary horizon.
    No argument from me.

Thanks for reading. I was expecting TLDNR!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    Options
    I'm really excited about trying to make my own and have been reading gumbo recipes here and elsewhere. I still have one more meal left from my neighbor who got me rolling last week! Some things I have already noticed with hers are: she must not have used much roux as the liquid is very clear and she didn't use andouille sausage, but a very brand Polish sausage.

I've also come away believing that gumbo - after making the roux - is pretty much whatever ingredients you like or already have on hand - RIGHT? And being a Southern dish then after chicken and 
    andouille sausage then shrimp or something from the water are quite common ingredients. I have yet to read a recipe calling for beef or pork.

Thanks to all for your comments!
  • nlovold
    nlovold Posts: 194
    Options
    I’ve used this site a few times with good results:
    https://www.gumbopages.com/food/
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     First you make a roux"    I watched Justin Wilson, "The Cajun Cook" when I was young. I got intrigued by the foods of LA. I learned that these Cajun stews are very flexible. A method rather than a defined recipe. The outcome can vary depending on how much time is devoted to the proteins, stock and roux preparation. Wish I had more time. A proper Gumbo sounds real good!

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
     First you make a roux"    I watched Justin Wilson, "The Cajun Cook" when I was young. I got intrigued by the foods of LA. I learned that these Cajun stews are very flexible. A method rather than a defined recipe. The outcome can vary depending on how much time is devoted to the proteins, stock and roux preparation. Wish I had more time. A proper Gumbo sounds real good!

Jim
    You have the right idea.  I generally don't cook from recipes but rather use techniques and an understanding of what and why you are doing something vs mixing up a cake for an EZ Bake oven. 

The roux is actually the master sauce to all the other mother sauces.  Very versatile and an incredible variation in flavors based on the amount of heat.  It is the basis for all kinds of creole and cajun cooks. 
    Options
    I’m eating gumbo as we speak. 

Status- Standing by.

• gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    I attempted gumbo once back in 97-98 ish. No recipe and way before i had high speed internet access at my fingertips. It wan't memorable. But that was all on me. This post has made me want to try again...my guess is that it would be quite a bit better.
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I would be happy to walk anyone through the general process, I have made it more than a few times.  PM me.
    Options
    I would be happy to walk anyone through the general process, I have made it more than a few times.  PM me.
    Post it right here. I would love to hear it. 

Status- Standing by.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    SGH said:
    Post it right here. I would love to hear it. 
    He is just trying to trick you into pm’ing him so he can spread pro-trump propaganda to you. 

Little Rock, AR

• gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    @nolaegghead i'm gonna take you up on this one of these days. I think 20 yrs has been long enough to give it another go. I'll pm you when i get ready...
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    Please post. We love gumbo and have been using the recipe from NOLA cooking school but also adding filé. Roux’s are not easy to execute so any tips are much appreciated. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • SGH
    Options
    JNDATHP said:
    We love gumbo
    And the Muhle R41. 

Status- Standing by.