Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Candied Jalapeños

Options
Today I tried a new recipe  and I thought that I would post it.

Cowboy Candy
3 lbs of jalapenos, sliced 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick
2 cups apple cider vinegar
6 cups granulated white sugar
1/2 teaspoon tumeric
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
3 teaspoons granulated garlic
1 teaspoon cayenne

In a large pot bring cider vinegar, sugar, celery seed, turmeric, and cayenne to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
Add jalapenos and simmer 4 minutes.
Using a slotted spoon fill sterilized mason jars  to with 1/4 inch.
Turn up the heat on the syrup boil for 6 minutes.
Ladle the syrup into the jars with the jalapenos.
Put the lids on the jars finger tight. Then put the jars in boiling water deeper than the lids tops for 15 minutes.
After the jars cool check to see if all of the jars are sealed.
Let age 2 weeks to a month before using.
If any syrup is left over, save it in the fridge for a meat glaze to use with the egg.

No pictures are available right now but I used both red ripe jalapenos and green jalapenos for a Christmas type effect.

Comments

• steel_egg
    steel_egg Posts: 295
    Options
    I received a jar of these from @SciAggie on this years exchange. Finally cracked in to the jar last night. I wasn’t sure what to expect. They were great as a hamburger topping. Can’t wait to see what else I can use them with. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    Thanks for sharing @Gulfcoastguy
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,306
    Options
    You're welcome. One of the jars didn't seal properly so it went in the fridge to cure. I should know how they turned out in 2 weeks.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    steel_egg said:
    I received a jar of these from @SciAggie on this years exchange. Finally cracked in to the jar last night. I wasn’t sure what to expect. They were great as a hamburger topping. Can’t wait to see what else I can use them with. 
    One of the things suggested was to use them in potato salad. Of the top of my head chopped into tuna salad or into deviled eggs sounds good. Or stuff a pork tenderloin with them and cream cheese.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I used a mandoline to slice them. It worked very well for even 1/4 inch slices starting at the tip and stopping BEFORE the stem. Don't try doing this while drinking brown water unless you want to get rid of your finger prints.
  • steel_egg
    steel_egg Posts: 295
    Options
    steel_egg said:
    One of the things suggested was to use them in potato salad. Of the top of my head chopped into tuna salad or into deviled eggs sounds good. Or stuff a pork tenderloin with them and cream cheese.
    I might throw some in ABT’s with the meat and cream cheese. I usually use banana peppers for mine so this might give a little different taste. 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I used a mandoline to slice them. It worked very well for even 1/4 inch slices starting at the tip and stopping BEFORE the stem. Don't try doing this while drinking brown water unless you want to get rid of your finger prints.
    I don't make them using this recipe but the best way I have found to slice them is with a slicing blade on my food processor.  WAYYYYYYYY faster than any other method I've used.  I just wash and stem them and drop them in the top and it slices up great.  I can slice 20lbs in 10 minutes and that includes emptying the bowl to fill up jars.  

Little Rock, AR

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    steel_egg said:
    Top deviled eggs with them.  Great in scrambled eggs, grilled cheese, on pulled pork nachos, sandwiches, etc. These don’t last long around our house.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Great pizza topping.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Brother Oz sent me some a while back from out his way. I had never had them before....and enjoyed the hell out of them. Appreciate your sharing the ingredients / method. A def for my future. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    They are really great in corn bread. Just add it to the mix. 
    NW IOWA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Does anyone know if this recipe is similar to these? If so, I'm in!!

Image result for candied jalapenos texas

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I do mine a little different but they are still good.  Mine don't come out quite as syrup'y and sweet.  I just slice them and pack sterilized jars and then pour bread and butter pickle brine over them and process them.  I've made 15 quarts so far this year.  

I use the mrs wages bread and butter pickle mix.  Pretty easy.  

Little Rock, AR

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited July 2018
    Options
    steel_egg said:
    Try a Ritz cracker and cream cheese with some of the jalapeño on top. I’m glad you like them. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon