Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT -- Digital Food Scale Replacement -- OT -- Suggestions Needed

Options
So, my oxo digital scale has been buggy for far too long ("it's only a problem when I'm trying to weigh something!!") -- display always on the fritz, doesn't zero out, switches from grams to ounces as if it has a mind of its own, all regardless of age of battery.  After experiencing way too much frustration over the weekend while trying to measure out the ingredients for 6 lbs of salmon to cure for smoking, I've made the difficult decision to replace the @#$@%! thing.  

Before I embark on my somewhat obsessive and compulsive pre-purchase routine (i.e., reading articles before going to amazon to sort thru 100's of recommendations from internet strangers and weirdos with oddly strong opinions about somewhat generic kitchen tools), I'm calling out for recommendations from the more familiar (albeit plenty weird in their own right) folks on the forum who I trust to have oddly strong but well reasoned opinions of their own.  

Many thanks in advance for sharing any helpful thoughts, experiences, non sequiturs, hijacks, etc.  Please know that your efforts might just prevent me from just going out and spending $15-50 bucks without overthinking it entirely and researching this purchase to death.    
It's a 302 thing . . .

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited July 2018
    Options
    OXO is generally the default recommendation for domestic digital scales, but I've had similar trouble with 2 different ones. The weight reading will intermittently jump all over the place when placed on a granite counter. If I place the scale on a cutting board instead the problem goes away. I always wondered if there was something radioactive going on in my counter tops.  Maybe they're just suffering from quality control issues. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    OXO is generally the default recommendation for domestic digital scales, but I've had similar trouble with 2 different ones. The weight reading will intermittently jump all over the place when placed on a granite counter. If I place the scale on a cutting board instead the problem goes away. I always wondered if there was something radioactive going on in my counter tops.  Maybe they're just suffering from quality control issues. 
    I have not yet field tested on a variety of surfaces, but might have to undertake that before purchasing.  This problem has followed me from a kitchen renovation that swapped out granite for quartz countertops.  I haven't yet tested the scale on our butcher block end cap, but may have to do so, but quietly and without prying eyes watching my activity.  This forum has cost me plenty of $$$, and it sounds like there may be a possibility that rather than purchase a new scale, I'll need to renovate the kitchen again.  Given that the punch list was completed only last spring, I suspect SWMBO will put me out if she gets wind of this potential solution. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I'm not sure what the brand is, but I got mine from a beer brewing supply site, and it's been very reliable.
    NOLA
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    OXO all the way , mine is used and abused , tare weight, back light, removable face for larger containers switch from metric to imperial with a touch 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    I'm getting deep into it now.

Customer Reviews

Top customer reviews

January 25, 2018
    Verified Purchase
    I needed a good (accurate wise) and relatively cheap scale for weighing my pet bird (a small parrot). It's very important to us to have her weight as accurate as possible. I just got the scale and so far I love it! I repeatedly weighed different items and the scale showed the exact the same weight for each item (of course different weight for different items) just like it showed the very first time I had weighed them.
    P.S. A U.S. nickel is exactly 5 gr according to Google. Here are the pics of the scale proving it. 1 nickel = 5 gr. 2 nickels = 10 gr.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • HendersonTRKing
    edited July 2018
    Options
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    OXO all the way , mine is used and abused , tare weight, back light, removable face for larger containers switch from metric to imperial with a touch 

Mine is that exact one. I bought it 14 or 15 years ago after Cook's Illustrated testing and recommendation as the best household scale on the market
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    OXO has lifetime warranty. Contact customer service and explain your problem. You will receive  response in a very timely manner with replacement mailed at no charge. I had problems with a five year old scale and received a replacement within 10days.  OXO also replaced a pizza cutter whose rubber handle would not stay on and a canister whose lid did not maintain an airtight seal. 
    IL 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    RRP said:
    lkapigian said:

Mine is that exact one. I bought it 14 or 15 years ago after Cook's Illustrated testing and recommendation as the best household scale on the market
    Was thinking I saw you had this @RRP got mine on sale @ BBB gets used a lot
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have a MyWeigh KD7000 as recommended by Little Chef on the old forum. It works fine, except for the really light things, but is HUGE. For the 1-2g things, I just use measuring spoons. Mostly I use it for breads so I weigh the flour and water and use spoons for the yeast and salt. They make one with baker's percentages. Not mine though. Specs say it is accurate to 1g, but mine isn't.

I always thought I'd buy an Oxo if I ever replaced mine. Hmm...

https://www.amazon.com/My-Weigh-7000-Gram-Kitchen-Silver/dp/B000EVFC8K/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1531851400&sr=8-6&keywords=kd7000

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    LetsEat said:
    OXO has lifetime warranty. Contact customer service and explain your problem. You will receive  response in a very timely manner with replacement mailed at no charge. I had problems with a five year old scale and received a replacement within 10days.  OXO also replaced a pizza cutter whose rubber handle would not stay on and a canister whose lid did not maintain an airtight seal. 
    Good suggestion — will try this. 

Just had an amazing customer service experience with Chad at Kick Ash Basket, so I’m feeling very optimistic. Will post that encounter in a separate OT at some point soon. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .