Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another weekend full of cooking...

Options
Went with another full weekend of cooking on my egg.  All new first each day of things to try and learned a bunch and maybe some things I need to change.

Started off friday making some baked potatoes and chiken drumbsticks. Seased it with the custom rub I got from a friend. Might have to go with less of it on the girlfriends food though cause it does have a good kick to it. Used hickory and pecan wood for this cook. Gave it just a nice faint smoke flavor to the chicken. 

​​​​​​​

Saturday night it was time to try the reverse sear for the first tiem.  Picked up a 1.85lb Tbone that was 1.5in thick. Started the corn on at 250 and 15min later added the steak. Got the steak to 110 degrees internal temp. I then pulled the ceramic plate from the egg so I could raised the temp of the grill up to 550 and put a nice char on the outside of it.  Totally missed the cook I was going for on the steak.  Was looking for medium rare and got medium with a very light amount of pink left.  Thankfully the egg keeps everything so moist the steak was still good but I will have to try again to get this process down.

After my steak Saturday night I got the Egg shut and cooled off before restarting it later to start a long smoke to try my hand at a brisket. Started it up about 9pm but had issues getting the temp to stabalize as 225 until around midnight. Turned out this was a good thing as my brisket ended up cooking faster than I expected.

Friday afternoon I opened the brisket, trimmed it up, and rubbed it down and stuck it in the fridge for 24hrs.

Just short of 1lb trimmed off.

Just before midnight Saturday on she goes

And off we go

14hrs and 43min later she was done. 202 degrees in the thickest part of the flat. Tookpick easily in and out of the thick parts.

For a side item while the brisket rested before cutting I cranked the Egg up to 375. It still had some good wood chunks left so I was able to smoke come corn and baked potatoes for our sides. The smoked potatoes were much better than the ones I made Friday since I had more wood in for doing the brisket than I did when cooking the chicken. I think smoked potatoes might be my new favorite way. The skin with the smoke flavor and a light coating of salt on the outside is so good.

The thin part of the flat wasn't as moist but wasn't extremely dry either. The bark was super thick. Almost like eating crunchy beef jerky.

Had tons of left overs so we have some meals planned out for the left overs. Going to make brisket tacos one night and brisket grilled cheese another. I then cut a bunch into cube chunks and might try making some brisket chili. Also made a small container to try making some burnt ends too.

Comments

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    damn fine looking brisket.  

Little Rock, AR

• RalphieBoy
    RalphieBoy Posts: 131
    Options
    I wish I was there. What state do you live in? $3.99 a pound is really expensive for around here. Cook looked great.
    Large, Small, Mini Max & Mini.
    Wishlist XXL, XL & Medium 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I believe I would put a hurtin on that!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Looks like it was another weekend of happiness

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    Lots of good food!!
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Duuuude. Very well done, my friend. Great looking grub and I’m sure a great weekend in the smoke as well. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cccoltsicehockey
    Options
    I wish I was there. What state do you live in? $3.99 a pound is really expensive for around here. Cook looked great.
    Charlotte, NC area.  It was my first ever brisket so is $3.99/lb is expensive then?  I have nothing to compare it to.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Wow -- if I'd cooked ONE of any of those things I'd be proud of myself!  Whole lotta great looking food, there -- fantastic job!
  • cccoltsicehockey
    cccoltsicehockey Posts: 48
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind words.  Still trying to learn everything.  So much good reading and information on here.  Definitely couldn't have figured it out without all the knowledge on here.  Can't beat practicing something though that you get to eat.
  • cccoltsicehockey
    Options
    So first meal using the leftover brisket last night I made some brisket grilled cheese sandwiches. Nothing crazy. Just cheddar and monteray jack cheese mixed together and some shredded oven reheated brisket and a small drizzle of bbq sauce. Man were they good. The brisket reheated much better than expected as well. Put it on a foil wrapped baking sheet and then sprtized it with some apple juice losely covered with another piece of foil. Then in the over at 325 for about 20min.

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    You should be banned for posting such awesomeness before breakfast !!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    ......or at the very least place a fried egg on top. =) Hope all is well with you John.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • cccoltsicehockey
    Options
    It definitely made me hungry just posting it myself.  I kind of had wished I had waited till after lunch.   =)
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    That is a good weekend!
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Food looks great as do the empty Wicked Weed bottles on the counter.  Excellent taste in beer as well. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    That grilled cheese looks awesome, thanks for the idea! 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Great looking cooks,.. thanks for sharing 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    Amazing cooks!! You are well on your way to being obsessed. Welcome!
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • cccoltsicehockey
    Options
    Left over brisket dinner round two. Brisket tacos with onions, pablano pepper, jalapeno, cheddar cheese, and a drizzle of blue hog smokey mountain.