Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Using sous vide for canning

Options
Has anyone used their sous vide for canning?  I followed the instructions on Chef Steps for pickles yesterday, which was to give them a 2.5 hr bath at 140*.  However, the jars didn't seal.  I didn't make a lot of them so I can stick them in the fridge.

Today I was going to can/pickle veggies, but if I'm not getting the jar to seal at 140*, I might as well just skip that step and do it traditionally.  I chose this method because I wanted to keep the veggies more uncooked.

I did boil the jars and lids, so I don't think that was the problem.

Does anyone have any advice?
Large BGE

Neenah, WI

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    Can't help with the canning question, but have you tried lacto fermentation instead of canning your veggies
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    have done it at 140 for 2.5 hours and they sealed, theses were curried zuchinni. didnt want them to mush out with the high heats. a couple didnt pop but most did, the ones that didnt went into the fridge.  didnt even sterilize the jars

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    edited July 2018
    Options
    No I haven't even heard of lacto fermentation until you brought it up and I googled it.  I feel I'm maxing out my canning knowledge at the moment, but it does seem interesting.  I liked the part about how doing it preserves and/or increases vitamin and enzyme levels.  Might have to do more research on it.
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • Stoogie
    Options
    @fishlessman Those look great!  I didn't want mush either, which is why I wanted to try it.  Let me ask this - when you put your jars in the bath, did you put them in there and let it ride for 2.5 hours or did you let them soak for 2.5 hours after your sous vide got the water back up to 140*?
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • fishlessman
    Options
    140 first with everything in there then start the clock. i dont see any harm going 30 minutes over. been wanting to do cauliflower this way, hate how it softens too much doing traditional canning and a full jar is half full after the boil
    fukahwee maine

• BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    How much headspace was in the jar?  And was the lid too tight prior to processing?  In order to create a vacuum, you need sufficient room so when the headspace (air) cools and collapses it sucks the lid down.  Properly sealed jars with a collapsed headspace vacuum barely even need the screw ring.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • Stoogie
    Options
    There was about 3/4" left in the jar before the lid was put on.  However, your comment about the screw ring being too tight could be the problem.  I saw a post on another site where someone said they tightened down the ring more than just "finger tight".  I'm about to try it again with the veggies and will change it up to see if it works.  

@fishlessman, thanks for the advice, I'll try that as well.
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Part of canning is killing bacteria that could spoil the product so, for canning and the vacuum to form, you should really get it to somewhere north of 200 - say 211 boiling point for 15-20 minutes. 

As they say, use the proper tool for the job. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Keep in mind non-acidic foods need to be held at 250F for a certain amount of time to kill botulism spores.  Consider anything under that that is not acidic to be perishable.
    Options
    Wait a sec, now I'm confused, @onedbguru & @nolaegghead...

I am using a brine made with white wine vinegar (6% acidity), water, salt & sugar.

Basically, I'm following the recipe this goofball has on YouTube, from Chef Steps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftCT-ddzEpo

So do I still need to ramp up the temp if I have them in a brine and the jar is sealed?

Sorry for the questions, I'm new at this and what I *thought* was going to something easy has turned into a minor headache.
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • fishlessman
    Options
    if its the chef steps brine of vinegar and water 1 to 1 and its pasteurized at 140 for 2.5 hours in the sousvide, nothing will grow in that acidic bath
    fukahwee maine

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I tried that recipe once.  I didn't think the pickles were anything special, and IIRC only one of the jars sealed on cooling.  I kept them all in the fridge, then got rid of them a month later when they were uneaten.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Stoogie said:
    Wait a sec, now I'm confused, @onedbguru & @nolaegghead...

I am using a brine made with white wine vinegar (6% acidity), water, salt & sugar.

Basically, I'm following the recipe this goofball has on YouTube, from Chef Steps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftCT-ddzEpo

So do I still need to ramp up the temp if I have them in a brine and the jar is sealed?

Sorry for the questions, I'm new at this and what I *thought* was going to something easy has turned into a minor headache.
    vinegar is acidic, no safety issues, no need to hit 250F
    Options
    To @nolaegghead 's point, 250F is fairly standard for commercial sterility/retort processing of low acid canned foods (LACF).  Lethality of clostridium botulinum (the bacteria used as the basis of LACF thermal processing) begins ~220F, but is very slow to accumulate at that temp, so we generally process at temps 240F+.  

For what you are doing; acidified food processing (pH<4.6): vinegar=acid=more growth inhibition=lower processing temps.  Adding acidity essentially narrows the range of bacteria to be concerned about to microbes that are much easier to kill with heat.  Measurable lethality in acidified foods begins at ~170F.

The real target is to have your product above specific a temp (the temp at which target bacteria begin to die) for a specific time duration.  Once at or above this temp, you begin to accumulate lethality.  The higher above, the more rapid lethality occurs.  So if you preheat you product, it will technically achieve this processing temp quicker, but tbh, in a small batch, it's probably negligible.

/nerd rant over
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    @Stoogie if you are not canning because you have tons of veggies you want to last forever , give lacto fermentation a try, it's easy and cheap, gives you a decent shelf life, but not like canning - I have gotten to where I always have something fermenting when one batch is done it just replaces what was used up in the fridge ...Salt, water, a container and food is all you really need to start. I have thought about canning, but I'd probably over do it and my friends would run when they see me with a armfull of new canned goods
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Stoogie
    Options
    Thanks to all for the advice!  
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI