Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First tri-tip

No place around me ever seems to carry tri-tip so when my local store had some I bought up about all I could.  This one was a little over 2 lbs before I trimmed off the fat cap & added salt, pepper & garlic powder.  I kept it simple with a reverse sear for my first time out with one of these.  225 indirect with cherry wood until 120 deg internal then a 90 second on each side.

Consensus?  Glad I have more of them in the freezer! 

Thanks for looking.

Glencoe, Minnesota

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    Looks great! I'm not sure how close you are to a Cub but I was surprised to find them there at a few different locations. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho said:
    Looks great! I'm not sure how close you are to a Cub but I was surprised to find them there at a few different locations. 

I work in Chaska and stop at the Cub there from time to time.  I guess I will have to pay more attention.  Closer to home and they're nearly impossible to find.  Thanks for the tip.
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    It's not guaranteed but Chanhassen Cub seems to be the most consistent with them. I've also seen them at Shakopee Cub. I was surprised to see them as well. I'd maybe talk with the guys in the meat department if you don't see any. It's not prime grade but for $5.99/lb for choice I'm not complaining. It's becoming one of my favorite cuts of beef. The flavor is fantastic  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited July 2018

USDA choice, if you can find it, is $11.50 here in the Tidewater area. Prime is 14+.

Tri tip is my favorite cut of beef/steak. It's a special meal here 1 or 2 times a year.

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• My cholesterol was already high before I found tri-tips.  Maybe I should cook another one before the labs come back from my check up this morning!  :)

Glencoe, Minnesota
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

The regional availability of this cut always surprises me.  Could costco trim you up some if you asked?  That's my fav source for TT.

Yours looke great @sheetmetalpete - and breakfast TriTip... I'd be all over that!  

Phoenix 
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Cook tritips all the time, easy to get in Cali (maybe that 1 plus about living here) 120* is spot on.

You're doing it right
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Great pictures.....and I am certain those were enjoyed.

I saw some beautiful ones out in Colorado in a Whole Foods Store. I will have to my local one....had not seen them here in SC before. Last one my butcher cut me it was really small. Looking around.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Tri-tips are a regular for us being in Southern California.. relatively quick and tasty.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    edited July 2018
    Looks great ...FWIW do it Brisket Style one time you will like it as well
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Looks fantastic. Not much experience with those but will likely give one a try soon. They are starting to show up a little in this area...
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    WeberWho said:
    I will be in Chaska, New Hope and Champlin in about a week visiting friends and family.
    Seemed like tri tip was easy to find at Costco on my last visit. But might have been a seasonal thing.
    There is a Restaurant Depot not to far north of my parents in New Hope. Every shop there?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg said:
    WeberWho said:
    I will be in Chaska, New Hope and Champlin in about a week visiting friends and family.
    Seemed like tri tip was easy to find at Costco on my last visit. But might have been a seasonal thing.
    There is a Restaurant Depot not to far north of my parents in New Hope. Every shop there?
    I was there once.  @WeberWho keyed me in on it - no membership required.  I should go again when I have an afternoon and a paycheck to kill.
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Some great looking money shots here.  Congrats to all.
    If you have a Trader Joe's in the area they carry tri-tip.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WeberWho
    Photo Egg said:
    WeberWho said:
    @Photo Egg I was up there a few weeks ago. I believe it's the only one in the nation that doesn't require a membership. The Restaurant Depot in St. Paul is much nicer but requires the membership card. The one you are referring to is the one in Brooklyn Center. It's a dump. It's hard to get around the store. Crap everywhere. Nice for people without a membership but it comes at a cost. I'll try to visit once or twice a year. Prices are nice.

Minnesota
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Man, them tri-tips look GREAT!!!
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    You guys are killing me with your great looking tri tip cooks.  Nice work friends.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    edited July 2018
    We love tri-tip. Hard to find east of the Rockies. Picanha is not the same in my opinion. 

We traveled full full time for 10 years and missed our tri-tip. 

You nailed your first cook!
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    WeberWho said:
    Photo Egg said:
    WeberWho said:
    @Photo Egg I was up there a few weeks ago. I believe it's the only one in the nation that doesn't require a membership. The Restaurant Depot in St. Paul is much nicer but requires the membership card. The one you are referring to is the one in Brooklyn Center. It's a dump. It's hard to get around the store. Crap everywhere. Nice for people without a membership but it comes at a cost. I'll try to visit once or twice a year. Prices are nice.
    Sad to hear about Brooklyn Center location but good to know.
    I took my friends from Chaska to the one in St. Paul a couple years ago. Glad it is still OK. Thanks buddy!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Looks good, I cook mine a little different.  After a zip loc marinated bath with various seasonings, I cook indirectly at 300 degrees and pull with internal temp at 140 degrees.  The cook should be between 45-60 min.  Let rest for 15 min and cut that baby up!  Needless to say, the internal temp on this particular cut varies.  My personal preference is 140 degrees.  Thanks for sharing!
                      Raideregg
    I Like Big Eggs and I can not lie!
    XXL,XL, L and MM