Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salt 'n' vinegar chicken wings ... a fantastic UK/USA BBQ fusion

Options
Stormbringer
Stormbringer Posts: 2,069
edited July 2018 in EggHead Forum
Being a Brit born and bred, the aromas and flavours of salt and vinegar are synonymous with late night fish and chip shop visits over the years. Recently we were in the USA, and visited Butte ... well, with a name like that, the immature nature in me wanting a photograph of a sign saying "Welcome to Butte", "You're Entering Butte" or similar. :D

However, my abiding memory of Butte was discovering salt 'n' vinegar chicken wings. Amazing. It bought back memories of home fused with a classic USA BBQ dish. Upon returning home, I looked up a few recipes and came up with this one, best done with a night-before marinate:

It also pairs incredibly well with the gherkin infused ranch dipping sauce SWMBO created:

Ready to eat:

Cooking in the MMX:

Lastly a shot of Hayden Valley, Yellowstone ... which isn't related but a taste of the photos to come once SWMBO has finished faffing about with the thousands of shots she took:

Thanks for looking!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Always looking to try new options with wings and that looks and sounds great.  Thanks for the post and link.
    BTW- I'm sure the pics will be outstanding.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Faffing about. Gonna have to put that one in the repertoire. 
    Wings look great!
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    Awesome!  I’m definitely trying these.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    Looks great, thanks for posting!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,611
    Options
    Nice!  Have you considered or played around with malt vinegar powder at all?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,037
    edited July 2018
    Options

Lastly a shot of Hayden Valley, Yellowstone ... which isn't related but a taste of the photos to come once SWMBO has finished faffing about with the thousands of shots she took:

Thanks for looking!
    Wings look great, the thought has my mouth watering.

That last photo is awesome! Reminds me of Thomas Mangelsen.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Great cook, like Lou I am always looking for fresh ideas for wings. Thanks. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Question on your Ranch sauce.  In the US a gherkin is almost always sweet, so is that what you used or something more like a cornichon?
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    edited July 2018
    Options
    @Stormbringer they look gorgeous, sound great (I love malt vinegar), but I'm curious about whether the "chili powder" you're talking about is the same thing as what we call "chili powder" over here.  You say, "The chili powder is optional, it gives a bit of heat to the wings."

In the US, what's labeled "chili powder" adds no heat at all to anything, just flavor.  It's a mixture of ground dried chilis that have little to no heat, plus cumin, maybe a few other things, but those are the main ingredients.  What we call "cayenne," on the other hand, adds only a tiny bit of flavor (depending on how much you use) but definitely adds some heat.  (There are also more specific powders of dried chiles, like "ancho chili," "chipotle chili," etc., or people sometimes grind up guajillos or any other kind of chili, but anything just labeled "chili powder" in the USA usually is very mild dried ground chilis plus cumin, and really isn't hot at all, but definitely adds a chili flavor.

So what kind of "chili powder" are you talking about?  Did it make the wings taste like ancho chilis and cumin, for example?  Or was it pretty tasteless but added a bit of a bite?

Thanks for posting -- it sounds good, and I'll add it to my list to try.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Those look really good!!!
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    Thanks folks.

@Legume I looked for it in the UK, not easy to find though. I did see that Buffalo Wild Wings use a salt and vinegar rub on their wings, we're back in the USA in September so I'll look to pick some up then.

@Ozzie_Isaac you just made SWMBO's day. :)

@GrillSgt I had to look cornichon up :D. As far as I can determine, in the UK a cornichon is a small gherkin pickled in vinegar with dill flowers or tarragon. A cocktail gherkin is pickled in vinegar alone. I used these cocktail gherkins. The purpose of them was to give a little tartness and bite to the sauce without adding extra flavour.

@Theophan the chili powder I use is made up of dried, powdered chili. It imparts flavour and a small amount of heat. The heat is there in the background, rather than up front, but it is there.

| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Thanks. Will try these. 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    @Stormbringer: many thanks for the additional information!  It does look to me as though some of your ingredients are different than ours.  Our gherkins usually say "sweet gherkins," and they're sour like most pickles but also really quite sweet.  Yours seem to have a little sugar in them, but from your description I'd guess they're very different than ours, much less sweet.

And the chili powder does look very different than  our "chili powder."  We have lots of similar powdered chilis, probably the same thing exactly, but probably with a different name.  Usually our powdered chilis have a specific name, like ancho chili powder, chipotle chili powder, etc., and usually something just called "chili powder" is mostly ancho but also has cumin, maybe some garlic powder, maybe some other stuff.  Quite different.  I'm guessing a little bit of cayenne might be similar to what you used.

Really sounds good -- I'm sure I'll try it one of these days.  Thanks again!
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    Theophan said:
    @Stormbringer: many thanks for the additional information!  It does look to me as though some of your ingredients are different than ours.  Our gherkins usually say "sweet gherkins," and they're sour like most pickles but also really quite sweet.  Yours seem to have a little sugar in them, but from your description I'd guess they're very different than ours, much less sweet.

And the chili powder does look very different than  our "chili powder."  We have lots of similar powdered chilis, probably the same thing exactly, but probably with a different name.  Usually our powdered chilis have a specific name, like ancho chili powder, chipotle chili powder, etc., and usually something just called "chili powder" is mostly ancho but also has cumin, maybe some garlic powder, maybe some other stuff.  Quite different.  I'm guessing a little bit of cayenne might be similar to what you used.

Really sounds good -- I'm sure I'll try it one of these days.  Thanks again!
    @Theophan it therefore appears that we're separated by a common language and how that language is applied to food ingredients. :)

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Oh yeah I’m giving this a run. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Looks pretty freakin' outstanding!  Both the wings and Yellowstone!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Bravo, sir!

your cooks never disappoint. Always a joy to peruse. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    Options
    Stormbringer,  GEEEZZZZ, thanks to you I am about to be en route to Publix ( a grocery store chain here in Florida ) to purchase the accoutrements (sounds very British to me!) for your recipe.
    normally I would express sincere appreciation for the great idea and recipe you offered.
    However we have JUST driven 12 hours from the cool North Carolina mountains to the oppressive heat of our home in Florida and I am tired.
    relaxing before retiring early tonight, and while pursuing this site , I mentioned to my wife your post.... 
    now she has determined we must try your recipe NOW....I said No way! We will try it next week"

i m headed to the grocery store in 2 minutes ....this better be good!!

if you happen to run into Prince Harry, give him my sincere best regards...he is one of my heroes.
    PS: being retired, and  the only reason we are in Florida currently ....is the immenant birth of our twin grandaughters here in Sarasota Florida.
    in all seriousness, thanks much for a great recipe!! All the best to you and family.
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • Stormbringer
    edited July 2018
    Options
    tml1230 said:
    Stormbringer,  GEEEZZZZ, thanks to you I am about to be en route to Publix ( a grocery store chain here in Florida ) to purchase the accoutrements (sounds very British to me!) for your recipe.
    normally I would express sincere appreciation for the great idea and recipe you offered.
    However we have JUST driven 12 hours from the cool North Carolina mountains to the oppressive heat of our home in Florida and I am tired.
    relaxing before retiring early tonight, and while pursuing this site , I mentioned to my wife your post.... 
    now she has determined we must try your recipe NOW....I said No way! We will try it next week"

i m headed to the grocery store in 2 minutes ....this better be good!!

if you happen to run into Prince Harry, give him my sincere best regards...he is one of my heroes.
    PS: being retired, and  the only reason we are in Florida currently ....is the immenant birth of our twin grandaughters here in Sarasota Florida.
    in all seriousness, thanks much for a great recipe!! All the best to you and family.
    @tml1230 the command of SWMBO ... I know the feeling. :D

Thanks, and good luck with your cook. I marinate the wings for 12-24 hours, however if you're not used to the  concentrated flavours of malt vinegar associated with classic UK style fish 'n' chips, maybe go for a shorter time and see what you think. Then adjust for the next cook.

We had these again yesterday, bloody lovely, served with home-cooked thick-cut chips (or fries, for you). Harry had other things to do though so missed out.