Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Blackstone or Old Blackstone

Hi All, 
Is it worth paying the extra $$ for the newer model or just go with the Walmart special on the 36"?

It seems that the grease trap and the paper towel holder are the only new things in it. And I saw that the grease trap on the old model can be fixed pretty easily...

Advise please.

BGE XL
36" Blackstone

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Get the cheaper one. I don't think one is much better than the other. The old grease trap isn't a deal breaker. You'll be happy with either one
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

I like the design of the new one, but it wouldn't work for me - in fact it would be a significant pia.

Phoenix 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    I actually prefer the old grease trap.  I think its just easier.  The new one has a sleeker, more streamlined look.  But the old trap is more functional, IMO
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • lahlooha
    lahlooha Posts: 63
    I really don't think the grease trap being at the back is a good idea. I plan to back up my grill against the side deck rails. With a safe distance of course... but can't imagine it on the back of the grill...

BGE XL
    36" Blackstone
  • EGGHEAD83
    EGGHEAD83 Posts: 61
    I don’t think that I would like the new style. I love my old style with the surround table. 
    Large BGE, small BGE, 2-22” Weber kettles, 26” Weber kettle, Weber jumbo joe, 14” WSM, 17” BS and 36” BS. Hope Mills, NC. USA. 
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    I just ordered mine from home depot they gave me 20% off there price to match the BBB 20% off coupon plus they beat BBB price $10.00 to begin with before the discount. ( I went with the 36" stainless). Im not sure which one Im getting yet as HomeDepot didn't know either I would assume the front grease as so BS can get rid of there old stock first. When I called BS about the surround they said the surround works with both models you just have to move the rear shelf bracket. Hope this helps maybe give HD a call and see if the can beat Walmart special right now they are $32.00 more but if they give you the $279.99 - 20%= 223.99 plus free delivery that I believe is cheaper the walmart
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • BobDanger
    BobDanger Posts: 323
    I went with the old model as well...the rear grease trap wouldn't work for me, plus I like to cook against the back.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Old model works great for me
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    A bit more $ but check out Camp Chef as well. 
  • lahlooha
    Picked it up from Walmart yesterday. I have to admit, it is really bigger than I thought. 
    My homedepot doesn’t carry them in store. Will set it up today and report after the first cook!
    BGE XL
    36" Blackstone
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    My fix for the old style drip hole works well. 

...Can’t load pics from the beach...  it’s a fencing nail. They look like a big U. Poke thru hole, bye bye leak. 

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• No issues with the old design for me. Go for the cheaper one.
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    I have the new design. If the older one is cheaper, get that. The pros and cons are evenly off set. FWIW
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    I see the OP already bought one, but thought I would contribute anyway.

I went from an old model 28 to a new model 36. The new drain works well, no mods needed. One advantage to the new one is that there are sides on all four sides, so less spillage of food. I dumped some food and grease over the front of the 28 a few times, that was annoying. One drawback is that I will probably forget to check and dump the catcher at some point, and will have a mess. Maybe the dog will find the grease catcher, and keep it clean. He emptied the one on my 28 a couple of times.

Seems like it boils down to where you want the grease catcher, in the front or back.

• CincyEgg
    CincyEgg Posts: 119
    I ordered one from amazon a few weeks ago. They basically told me they couldn’t guarantee which model I would get but they have the new one with the paper towel holder and trash bag holder as a completely different model. I paid $197 and the model they sent me has the rear grease trap without the extras. Saved me 50 bucks and I didn’t think I’d use the new accessories anyways. I really like the rear grease trap but don’t think it would make much of a difference if it was on the front or back.

In other words, I would just get the cheapest option :)
  • lahlooha
    update: I just purchased the new one off of Amazon prime day. Was $200, couldn't resist. The one I got from Walmart is still sitting pretty in its box and will be going back.
    BGE XL
    36" Blackstone
  • lahlooha
    Update 2: I picked up a free blackstone off of Facebook marketplace  =)
    BGE XL
    36" Blackstone
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    lahlooha said:
    Update 2: I picked up a free blackstone off of Facebook marketplace  =)
    Dang!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I have just received from Amazon Prime the new 36" with all the extras. That is one big piece of cooking tool.......I was planning to sort of build it in to the plans of my outdoor kitchen, but.......with the grease trap in the back, I will need access to that and of course the bottled gas canister.
    I will figure something out. 
    Anybody built one of these in????
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    YukonRon said:
    I have just received from Amazon Prime the new 36" with all the extras. That is one big piece of cooking tool.......I was planning to sort of build it in to the plans of my outdoor kitchen, but.......with the grease trap in the back, I will need access to that and of course the bottled gas canister.
    I will figure something out. 
    Anybody built one of these in????

This was the very reason I stuck with the front trap model. If its an individual unit it makes a lot of sense to put it in the back. But as a built in its gonna be awfully difficult.  Below is the easiest I could explain it. Where you mount the griddle top and drain plug elevated above the counter top. Probably doesn't look as clean as if the griddle top was flush mounted but might solve your issue. 

You could just create an open shelf there to sit the blackstone in so you have easy access to the grease trap. Kinda like how a lot of folks do with their eggs. See below.

I know I'm not giving the best visualization but hopefully you get the idea.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.