Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smash burgers

Smash burgers done on the blackstone. Griddle cooked some prosciutto as a topping which crisped up nicely. Buttered buns toasted on the blackstone as well. Good eats!

Brandon - Ohio

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    Love Smash Burgers !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Nice! Love em. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I just made smash burgers tonight on the 17" Blackstone. I'm digging the prosciutto you have on yours though. I even have some in the fridge. Dang it. You win!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    they look good but not very smashed?
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Looks delicious!
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    They look WONDERFUL, but I'm with @stv8r in that they're the thickest smash burgers I've ever seen.  I'm a [cough] big guy, look a lot like Santa Claus, and there's no way I could eat that double burger.  It looks fantastic, my mouth is watering, but it'd be way too much for this old guy.  When I make smash burgers, I smash them hard, and they're way thin, and two of them isn't more than I can handle.

I admire and envy your ability to eat what you cooked!  :)
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    You gotta put some muscle into it. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Looks good, but as thick as a 1/2” steak 
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    Since I got my Blackstone 17, the smashburger technique has become my favorite and only way to do burgers. I make ⅓ pound patties, so they are noticeably thicker than at the Smashburger joint, but not quite as thick as yours. I like the cheese choice!
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    I do quarter ounce balls.  Smash them with a small CI skillet.   
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932

Thanks for sharing.  I'd crush one for sure

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    looks great and juicy is that thousand island on top and bottom? I must admit I have put prosciutto on everything but never a burger and have no idea why not great idea.  
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    The best thing to cook on the BS, good looking burgers.
    O-Town, FL

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,007
    Damn you, just had a small "healthy" lunch ... those pics did not help. :D:D:D
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Leopoldstoch
    Leopoldstoch Posts: 1,182
    mlc2013 said:
    looks great and juicy is that thousand island on top and bottom? I must admit I have put prosciutto on everything but never a burger and have no idea why not great idea.  
    That is a spicy horseradish mustard

Brandon - Ohio

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited July 2018
    TN_Egger said:
    They must end up around the size of a dime.  B)
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I love 'em too, though I prefer burgers that I can actually get in my mouth! =).

I read somewhere that "official" smashburgers are smashed to 1/2" thickness. I use 1/4 or 1/3 lb beef, depending on the size of the bun I have. Smashed to 1/2" thick, 1/4 lb fits standard cheap grocery store buns, 1/3 lb fits the brioche buns I've been buying lately.

The Smashburger folks use a specialized "smasher"...
    Image result for smashburger tool

I could use a bacon press or a CI skillet I guess, but what fun is that? I have a plasterer's trowel that hasn't seen plaster in years. I added three spare clips from some steel shelving that just happened to give me 1/2" spacing. Works great! And it's no longer a unitasker! =)
    The clips come off easily for that occasional plaster job (every 20-30 years). =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    CTMike said:
    TN_Egger said:
    They must end up around the size of a dime.  B)
    oops..quarter pound.  With some vidalia onion - ain't nothing better off the BS.
    Signal Mountain, TN