Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackened Grouper Sandwiches.

Options
Grabbed some fresh grouper at Central Market here in Austin today. 

Fish on the Egg is a revelation and was the key to SWMBO signing off on the purchase.

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
Dennis - Austin,TX

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    It looks so good... but american cheese on GROUPER!!! it hurts my heart and the ocean!!!! 

I know, right? Cheese on fish?

It's a bastardization for sure. But my wife is from Clearwater, FL. and every time we go there, we go to Frenchy's where they have great grouper sandwiches and she got me hooked on the Am. cheese thing.

What can I do?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    It looks so good... but american cheese on GROUPER!!! it hurts my heart and the ocean!!!! 

I know, right? Cheese on fish?

It's a bastardization for sure. But my wife is from Clearwater, FL. and every time we go there, we go to Frenchy's where they have great grouper sandwiches and she got me hooked on the Am. cheese thing.

What can I do?
    You do you!! If it tasted great then it IS great! Lol, just giving you the business!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    Nailed it!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I agree about the American cheese on fish, but I also agree with @dmchicago that sometimes someone talks you into something that just goes against everything you know and believe in, and you're sort of horrified to find that you like it!  [laughing] 
    • Years ago, a friend talked me into putting good bourbon in a glass of Coca Cola (I know, I KNOW!), and I was ashamed to admit it was actually pretty good!  (I don't do it anymore -- don't shoot me!)
    • I thought it would be a hoot to try chewing tobacco, decades ago, as an almost spectacularly awful thing to do, and I bought a pouch of Levi Garrett and was just dismayed to find that it was delicious -- sort of like grown up candy.  I had to work hard at not buying more!
    • And... brothers and sisters can you keep from weeping at my tale of madness, depravity and sin ... one of my dearly beloved grandsons insisted that hot dogs, not just with ketchup [shudder], but with ketchup AND MAYONNAISE were really good, and I tried one, expecting to retch, and it really wasn't that bad!  (Yeah, I don't have those anymore, either! :))
    So OK.  I don't think I'm ever going to try American cheese on grouper, but if the woman you love got you hooked on it, more power to you -- enjoy the hell out of it!
  • dmchicago
    Options
    Theophan said:

So OK.  I don't think I'm ever going to try American cheese on grouper, but if the woman you love got you hooked on it, more power to you -- enjoy the hell out of it!
    The things we do for love...

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Options
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    A pinot noir does not go well with blackened seafood?

Ha! I laugh at you!

Fettuccine with lobster, crab or shrimp? Grenache Rosé.

Mac and cheese with lobster and shrimp with black truffles, go with a cab.....

YukonRon's rule #1:  There are no rules with cheese and wine pairings with seafood. None.

American cheese on a blackened grouper sandwich? A nice fruit forward Syrah may be a great addition, to try.

Or maybe bourbon slushies.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Beautiful cook!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    IMO...Grouper makes the best fish sandwich.
    Yours looks awesome!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • dmchicago
    Options
    YukonRon said:

American cheese on a blackened grouper sandwich? A nice fruit forward Syrah may be a great addition. 
    I chose Renegade Red Blend which is 55% Syrah. 

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Nice Cook!!  At least there is no ketchup on it...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    YukonRon said:

American cheese on a blackened grouper sandwich? A nice fruit forward Syrah may be a great addition. 
    I chose Renegade Red Blend which is 55% Syrah. 
    Outstanding selection. Red blends are my fave.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I couldn't decide how to feel about the cheese, but now I just have to try it. 

I had a craving for grouper a couple of weeks ago and tried to find it. The person working the counter at Publix said they stopped carrying because it was $30 a pound!!??

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• dmchicago
    Options
    I couldn't decide how to feel about the cheese, but now I just have to try it. 

I had a craving for grouper a couple of weeks ago and tried to find it. The person working the counter at Publix said they stopped carrying because it was $30 a pound!!??
    I just checked my receipt and I paid $33.61 and I got two pretty big, thick filets so that sounds right.

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    @dmchicagonice cook! With the sharp flavor of the blackening, I bet it was actually pretty solid with the cheese, even though some beg to differ :) Thanks for sprinkling our stuff on your hard-earned meat! Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    Had a cook that served macadamia nut crusted grouper with a slice of american and I was sold. Nice looking cook. Makes me want to go to the fish market.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    Outstanding looking meal. And yes, American Cheese on grouper sandwich is the way to go. Frenchys got me too
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    All the "missionary position only" cheese/fish haters would probably loose their minds with the weird combinations at Noma.