Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knife Sharpeners

I use the "Wicked Edge" system. It does a good job on most blades, but is slow and a little bit dangerous to my way of thinking. I've seen the "Work Sharp" system advertised and wondered if anyone on here has used it?
Tampa Bay, Florida

Comments

• I have one. It’s awesome. I just sharpened all of my moms knives last night. 

Easy, quick, and somewhat dummy proof. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    You're coming from a more precision sharpener. The Work Sharp works great on my knives. I also don't have very nice knives. If I had high end knives I'd think twice about running them through the Work Sharp. That's just me though. Make sure you practice on some cheaper knives first before running anything of value through it. Lots of people really like them here. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104

I have used the work sharp on smaller knives, and it did a nice job. Ended up building this sharpener from parts on e-bay, and it does a beautiful job on all my custom knives and cutlery.  Also works great on shop tools (chisels, scrapers, blades).  The 2" x 72" belts are only $2 each, and last a LONG time. I use the 1000 grit to produce a razor edge as a final finish.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Why do you feel the Wicked Edge system is dangerous?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    I have a Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition and like it.  I also use a Gatco manual system that takes longer, but does a nice job.
    XL  Central Ohio
  • HeavyG said:
    Why do you feel the Wicked Edge system is dangerous?
    I have used the Wicked Edge for 3 or 4 years and have never had an accident, for that matter, I have never even come close to cutting myself, but the potential for an accident is there because of the way the blade is exposed cutting edge-up. 
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • Duuane
    Duuane Posts: 65
    I tried many!! sharpening systems before buying a Work Sharp. Best money I ever spent for knife care. I wouldn't, and haven't thought twice about running high end knives through it, they deserve the best edge we can give them. Ontario Knife Company "Old Hickory" is two miles from my house, Cutco Knife Company is 25 miles from my house, both are very well known companies, Cutco being more expensive, but sharpening belts are what they use to get the crazy sharp factory edges. Proper care of the knives helps keep the edge longer. 
    Franklinville, Western NY
  • I have used the work sharp on smaller knives, and it did a nice job. Ended up building this sharpener from parts on e-bay, and it does a beautiful job on all my custom knives and cutlery.  Also works great on shop tools (chisels, scrapers, blades).  The 2" x 72" belts are only $2 each, and last a LONG time. I use the 1000 grit to produce a razor edge as a final finish.

Man, that is impressive! That's one serious piece of equipment. Thanks for posting.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • jwc6160
    jwc6160 Posts: 218
    I’ve debated getting a sharpener forever. My knives are all terrible as I take poor care of them. Having said that, I’m not looking for perfect razor sharp knives. Is there much of a benefit of the Ken Onion version vs the standard work sharp? I’m sure it is “better” but for someone like me is it worth the extra $50 or so. 

Thanks
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447

I have used the work sharp on smaller knives, and it did a nice job. Ended up building this sharpener from parts on e-bay, and it does a beautiful job on all my custom knives and cutlery.  Also works great on shop tools (chisels, scrapers, blades).  The 2" x 72" belts are only $2 each, and last a LONG time. I use the 1000 grit to produce a razor edge as a final finish.

Man, that is impressive! That's one serious piece of equipment. Thanks for posting.
    I have used a 1" Kalamazoo belt sander on my mess for several years with great results.  This far surpasses anything I have thought about.  I find it to be a great sharpener for about anything you could think of... CONGRATS on the build!!  P.S.  very jealous at this point

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• Literally just finished sharpening all my knives with the work sharp Ken onion edition. I feel they are sharp, but I don't know if they are "sharp, sharp" lol I like playing with it though, its easy and makes me feel like I'm doing something productive.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    I've had a Chef's Choice 100 for many years and it works just fine~~
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    What don’t you like about the Wicked Edge. I am trying to decide between the WE and KME. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • work sharp Ken onion user here. Lots of contrary opinions but I Love mine. Scalpel sharp knives (if you want) and can change angles between my German and Japanese steel. Not for everyone but I’ll never go back. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I like the Wicked Edge, I just finished sharpening 4 knives for my wife. I does a great job and depending on how much time you want to spend doing it, it will produce a razor sharp knife, with an edge that is like a  mirror. I have the 100/200, 400/600. 800/100 stones and a ceramic stone that is 1200/1600 grit. It takes a fair amount of time to sharpen a knife and you have to pay attention to what you are doing as there is the potential for getting cut. A pair of wire or kevlar gloves would eliminate much of that danger I suppose. While time spent sharpening knives can be somewhat therapeutic, and some folks turn it into a zen-like experience, I suppose it's the time factor that is the biggest downside for me.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • I like the Wicked Edge, I just finished sharpening 4 knives for my wife. I does a great job and depending on how much time you want to spend doing it, it will produce a razor sharp knife, with an edge that is like a  mirror. I have the 100/200, 400/600. 800/100 stones and a ceramic stone that is 1200/1600 grit. It takes a fair amount of time to sharpen a knife and you have to pay attention to what you are doing as there is the potential for getting cut. A pair of wire or kevlar gloves would eliminate much of that danger I suppose. While time spent sharpening knives can be somewhat therapeutic, and some folks turn it into a zen-like experience, I suppose it's the time factor that is the biggest downside for me.
    You can get tweaky with the WSKO  as well if you like. When I reset an edge and take it to razor sharp it takes 20 min or so. I go through 5 separate belts and a polishing belt. 

When Im in a hurry and the edge isn’t trashed (mine never are anymore) I can sharpen a knife super sharp in 2 min. Medium fine belt for 5 a side and fine for 5 every 2 weeks or when you notice it getting a little dull. That will keep you in perfect shape until you need to reset the edge for any reason. I don’t find I need to with knives I maintain. I did have some pittting in my shun chef knife and was able to work all those out and reset the edge in about 30 min. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Preface: I have a 16X magnifying visor that I use to inspect the edges, and super-dense felt blocks to de-burr the carbide and metal specks left on the mirror edge.

I have to suppose the Wicked Edge is slow. I have an Edge Pro, which is similar. I use that on my best blades, and I'm quite happy w. the results. I do keep a strop and diamond paste on hand for tune ups. My best blades don't need re-fining for 12 months. Not too much time. That might be a cheaper alternative than buying a new sharpening system.

My crummy blades get frequent visits to a Harbor Freight hand sharpener, and that keep them good enough for cutting on ceramic and glass plates. Hacking along bones.

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Trizor xv
    Its idiotproof so its perfect for me...