Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meats from Kroger not good

13»

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    We don't have Kroger around New Orleans.  I've to their stores in other areas, and they have concluded they suck.
    We don't have Kroger around New Orleans.  I've to their stores in other areas, and they have concluded they suck.
    Unfortunately we also don't have one of those nice Costco meat counters that sell SRF briskets. But I guess I should be happy that we can at least get full packers even if not SRF  
    New Orleans LA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    We have Kroger's in my area and the only meat we've bought there is the occasional pound or two of ground round and whenever they have chuck roasts on sale for $2.xx/lb we'll pick up a couple.

Haven't had any complaints about those items. Have tried some of their store brand items and they've been a mixed bag.

The only grocery store I get excited by is Wegman's and we are finally getting one in our area next Spring. I'm already giddy with excitement.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited July 2018
    Here in Rowlett we have: "maybe Tom Thumb" (maybe I can find it); just remodeled Aldi, still not impressed; "not much choice" Sprouts; and "less than stellar beef" Costco.  We drive down to Waxachache HEB to get his scripts and do our bulk shopping then.  We have talked with the HEB store manager and she said to get a letter writing campaign going.  If enough people show interest, HEB will  move into the NTexas area.
    if you are in East Garland, I recommend Dave's meat market.  We have not been disappointed with any of the meat we have purchased.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    My family never ate a huge amount of meat, except after getting the 1st Egg, and then sort of binged for a year or 2. But over the years I've gone w. more and more local butcher purchases. Not really all that much more travel, and the quality is always better than the best chain stores. Indiana produces lots of fine pork, so the chain markets are usually a good source for that, but none of the chains have chicken that is as good, or any fresh sausages.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    I live in Moncure and work in Cary. Like you said Kroger pulled out because no one shopped there anymore. We just got Publix and Wegmon's is opening 3 new stores in Raleigh /Cary, they saw the writing on the wall.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Here in Rowlett we have: "maybe Tom Thumb" (maybe I can find it); just remodeled Aldi, still not impressed; "not much choice" Sprouts; and "less than stellar beef" Costco.  We drive down to Waxachache HEB to get his scripts and do our bulk shopping then.  We have talked with the HEB store manager and she said to get a letter writing campaign going.  If enough people show interest, HEB will  move into the NTexas area.
    if you are in East Garland, I recommend Dave's meat market.  We have not been disappointed with any of the meat we have purchased.  
    I just saw Dave’s meat market. I’m gonna try going there and also gonna try sprouts.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    I'm glad the Harris Tetter is better than Kroger since, they like City Market, are Kroger. I too dislike buying water for whatever price meat costs. I have Publix, Walmart, Food Lion, IGA, Piggly Wiggly and Kroger as choices. The Pig and IGA have sometimes had good meat. In the words of an employee at the Pig as to the quality of steaks on sale, "It's a $3.99 steak what do you think?"
    Cooking on the coast
  • H12mike
    H12mike Posts: 134
    I stopped buying Kroger meats two years ago because of hit and miss quality.  I now purchase all my meats from Old Town Meat Market in Lewisville.  Great people, service and quality.  I understand there is a similar market in McKinney.

X-Large BGE, DigiQ, ThermaQ (Blue), CyberQ, Joetissirie, UltraQ, (ex.FlameBoss 200)

Highland Village, TX

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,642
    I live in Moncure and work in Cary. Like you said Kroger pulled out because no one shopped there anymore. We just got Publix and Wegmon's is opening 3 new stores in Raleigh /Cary, they saw the writing on the wall.

Lived in Cary before it went crazy... Containment Area for Relocated Yankees.  =)
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    edited July 2018
    I recently made the switch to Market Street after being a long-time Kroger shopper. Noticed a lot of the same meat quality issues you mention, especially the chicken breasts.  Market Street is maybe slightly more expensive, but I think cheaper than Sprouts with better selection.  Quality and service at Market Street are great.

@H12mike I have been meaning to check out Old Town Meat Market, always hear good things.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Try the home made jerky at Dave’s. It make awesome SOS using Alton’s recipe
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Have you tried Restaurant Depot? Looks like they have stores in Dallas, Ft Worth and Richardson. Wholesale only. If you own a business, you can get a membership. If not, for $35/year you can join the Kansas City BBQ Society ((KCBS). Their members can shop at RD. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited July 2018
    Have you tried Restaurant Depot? Looks like they have stores in Dallas, Ft Worth and Richardson. Wholesale only. If you own a business, you can get a membership. If not, for $35/year you can join the Kansas City BBQ Society ((KCBS). Their members can shop at RD. 

Ya, I have not. My mother in law used to own a BBQ business and she shopped there all the time. Again, my hesitation with that and Costco is the sheer volume I would have to buy.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566

I like to get Costco choice steaks or when on sale HEB Prime 1 or sometimes they have excellent choice on sale.   My Kroger went lower quality about 2 years ago. the old butcher was a friend of mine and he said everything is being selected in Atlanta and they are of the opinion that people will mostly but on price not quality. Also when the present butchers union contract ends he said they are planning to mostly cut in a central location for places like cities and only have someone in the market to help customers or to be a cutter not butcher for someone that wants something cut.  My old butcher was buying his meat at Stantons which is family owned in Alvin or from HEB when Prime was on sale before he quit kroger over their WE KNOW BETTER attitude and lesser quality.

I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Kroger in Knoxville has Perdue boneless skinless chicken breasts on sale for $1.88/Reg. $4.99.  Pretty good chicken at a very good price.  I stocked up yesterday and vac sealed in packs of 2.  I assume other Kroger's have the same sale, at least regionally.

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• rtgurley
    rtgurley Posts: 44
    If you are passing through south Plano you can order a Freezer pack from Hirsch's Meats.

https://www.hirschsmeats.com/freezerpacks

Local Yocal in McKinney has a similar offer

http://www.localyocalfarmtomarket.com/value-packages
    XL BGE 
    Saints fan stuck in Dallas