Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does the EGG add any smoke flavor to cobblers and what wood to use

Options
GoldenQ
GoldenQ Posts: 566
I am planning to make a peach cobbler and debating between oven in baking dish or egg in 19 inch lodge CI skillet.   if the egg would add smoke flavor I would do egg otherwise just use oven.   I have not baked in egg before but if I do would plan to use PS legs up then grate with CI on it.     Any thoughts or suggestions please.
I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Why not use CI in the oven? Why not use a baking dish in the egg? They both will work.

The wet cobbler dough will pick up smoke flavor if you add wood to the cook.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    The 19 CI  is too large for my oven    or I would     and I had not thought about the baking dish in the egg      thanks     good suggestion
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I would go with CI in the egg. I like the crusty bits you get with CI. 

And yes, it will pick up smoke flavor. Try a mild fruit wood. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Baking dish on the Egg. Neutral charcoal. No wood.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Whatever wood you use make sure its a very light smoking wood. You could try and use some peach wood if you can find it. That would help elevate the peach flavor a bit and its fairly mild. Even if you don't use wood chips or chunks depending on what lump you use you may get a slight smokey flavor. To some the following may sound bad but: I think baking(for the most part) in the egg is just one of these things you do "for show" its kind of a shtick. It does nothing different than your oven. You wont get better results for this kind of thing in the egg than your oven. Now Pizzas are a bit different because you can hit those super high temps that an oven cant get. For baking the only thing the egg can add is a somewhat smokey flavor. So if the smokeyness is your goal use the egg. If you don't care about that use your oven. Either way it will turn out well.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• RalphieBoy
    RalphieBoy Posts: 131
    Options
    Clean char and No wood
    Large, Small, Mini Max & Mini.
    Wishlist XXL, XL & Medium 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    When I was baking bread in the Egg, I kept 1 that I did not use any smoke in, or had had a clean burn. The lump itself will add a faint smoke flavor, but an Egg coated on the inside w. the accumulation of fat and smoke and soot was stronger than I liked.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options

Contrary to what others have said when baking in the egg you don't want smoke flavor as most breads and deserts don't taste very good with smoke. We bake an apple cake all the time in our egg and I always make sure the lump is burning very neutral. I have added apple when baking pulled pork pizza and that is good. We don't have A/C in our summer home in NC so to keep the heat out of the house the egg gets fired up for a lot of baking.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• GrateEggspectations
    Options

Contrary to what others have said when baking in the egg you don't want smoke flavor as most breads and deserts don't taste very good with smoke. We bake an apple cake all the time in our egg and I always make sure the lump is burning very neutral. I have added apple when baking pulled pork pizza and that is good. We don't have A/C in our summer home in NC so to keep the heat out of the house the egg gets fired up for a lot of baking.

+1 on both the use of neutral lump and the employing of the Egg to keep the heat from inside the house during the hot months. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Peach cobbler I direct with a little peachwood is  great match. Use chips if you can and go sparingly. You want just a kiss of peach wood smoke.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    Options
    No wood. The cobbler will pick up smoke flavor no matter how neutral the charcoal.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    My advice is DO NOT tell the people who will be eating that cobbler that you baked it on your egg!

I will give you a quick reason why - for years I have baked cakes etc on my medium egg. I would always give a quarter or one third of my cakes to my elderly neighbors. From the very first time they told me how good that tasted, BUT the smoke taste really ruined it for them! :s So the last time I baked a cake to share with them I baked it in our kitchen oven.

Next day they thanked me for the cake but once again bitched about the smokey taste! THAT was the last time I gave them any!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.