Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meats from Kroger not good

TEXASBGE2018
TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
edited July 2018 in Poultry

This is gonna be a longer post so please bear with me. I thought I would bring this one up. I've been noticing lately that the meats I buy at my local Kroger are just not good any more. They are approaching Walmart quality. I've really noticed it lately in the quality of the steaks I've bought. Even the "prime" ones. The Heritage Farm chicken are terrible. We ate some grilled chicken breast last night again and for several weeks worth of purchases I've noticed an off flavor and texture about them. I can't really describe it well. It was almost a "chemical" taste. It doesn't matter how I cook or prepare the chicken, it always seems to have that taste which leads me to believe that its being pumped full of god knows what. The beef isn't much better. Its just always flat no matter how I season or prepare it. So my questions are:

Has anyone else noticed this and if so where are some good alternatives to buy from?

Are there other options at Kroger that maybe I need to try?

My main thing is I want food that tastes good but is also safe for my family and I am concerned that I'm not getting that now. I don't mind paying a little more for better product but I also don't want to go from paying say $1.99 a pound for chicken breast to paying $5.99 a pound. We eat a lot of different meats throughout the week so being affordable is important. I can't go buy Prime everything from Costco and spend $200 on steaks that I then vacuum seal and freeze. Just looking for some help and advice. Thanks in advance.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I agree 100%, I do Costco or Sprouts maybe a $1 or so more but much much better.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I don’t buy any meat from Kroger. They’ve gotten overzealous with the saline injections. The last time we bought meat there (pork chops), it was so awful that it went into the trash after two bites.  

I assume that there’s no HEB near you.  
  • TEXASBGE2018
    I don’t buy any meat from Kroger. They’ve gotten overzealous with the saline injections. The last time we bought meat there (pork chops), it was so awful that it went into the trash after two bites.  

Unfortunately no they haven't moved up this way yet. Supposedly they will be coming to the Dallas area soon. We have Central Market which is an expensive HEB. But its the $5.99 a pound for chicken breast that I talked about and I just cant swing that on a weekly basis. We eat 5 pounds of chicken every week in addition to all our other meats we buy.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    They just closed 14 stores in the Raleigh/Durham area almost overnight. 
    They have some issues.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • DoubleEgger
    edited July 2018

Unfortunately no they haven't moved up this way yet. Supposedly they will be coming to the Dallas area soon. We have Central Market which is an expensive HEB. But its the $5.99 a pound for chicken breast that I talked about and I just cant swing that on a weekly basis. We eat 5 pounds of chicken every week in addition to all our other meats we buy.
    Buy whole chickens from a quality supplier instead. A whole bird is only about a dollar or two more than two boneless skinless breasts. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    JRWhitee said:
    I agree 100%, I do Costco or Sprouts maybe a $1 or so more but much much better.

We do have a Sprouts somewhat close I may try them. I just cant buy $56 bucks worth of ground beef from Costco and then freeze it. I'm not a fan of how thawed frozen meats taste.

• DoubleEgger
    JRWhitee said:

We do have a Sprouts somewhat close I may try them. I just cant buy $56 bucks worth of ground beef from Costco and then freeze it. I'm not a fan of how thawed frozen meats taste.
    Check your local butcher shop as well. Air chilled chickens are the best in my opinion. Look or ask for those. 
  • TEXASBGE2018

Buy whole chickens from a quality supplier instead. A whole bird is only about a dollar or two more than two boneless skinless breasts. 

Ya that's kinda what I'm asking. I'm not sure where to find that. We have a local farmers market every saturday and I am tempted to go try that. But I just have this thought that its gonna be $5 bucks a pound for some reason.

• TEXASBGE2018
    That's the other thing that sucks. I don't really have any local butcher shops around me. They are all like 20-30 miles away. Kinda annoying to have to drive 45min to an hour to go to the local butcher for meat every week.

• DoubleEgger
    Wanna build a coop? 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Wanna build a coop? 

If I could I wouldn't mind doing that. I live in a subdivision with an HOA. We are talking about an HOA that will fine you for leaving your trashcan out overnight.

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    JRWhitee said:

Is it better than Kroger's meat?  Not to be flip, but it may be the less bad option.

I've had good luck with Aldi beef, sausage, and their breakfast sausage and bacon.  Their pork cuts pre-brined; I can't remember if they do the same with their chicken, but if there is one nearby it might be worth checking out. 

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I have to admit, Krogers is my closest grocery store. I don't but a lot fresh cut meat from them. But I do buy their cryo sealed flat iron steaks on a regular basis. When I find a good sale I stock up the freezer. I'm sure I do loose some quality freezing them but they are still good enough that it's one of our favorite meals. Also buy primal from Sam's Club, food saver and freeze. They are still excellent after being frozen. I'm guessing this would still be better than the off flavor you are getting or paying super high price at Central Market.
    Other option would be to talk to your store manager at Krogers and tell him this story. Their butcher may be new and doing something different.
    Good luck.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Acn said:
    JRWhitee said:

Is it better than Kroger's meat?  Not to be flip, but it may be the less bad option.

I've had good luck with Aldi beef, sausage, and their breakfast sausage and bacon.  Their pork cuts pre-brined; I can't remember if they do the same with their chicken, but if there is one nearby it might be worth checking out. 

We have a couple Aldi's around. I get even more concerned with Aldi than I do Kroger. Isn't Aldi a discount food chain like Trader Joe's? I would think their fresh meats would be even worse.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Photo Egg said:
    I have to admit, Krogers is my closest grocery store. I don't but a lot fresh cut meat from them. But I do buy their cryo sealed flat iron steaks on a regular basis. When I find a good sale I stock up the freezer. I'm sure I do loose some quality freezing them but they are still good enough that it's one of our favorite meals. Also buy primal from Sam's Club, food saver and freeze. They are still excellent after being frozen. I'm guessing this would still be better than the off flavor you are getting or paying super high price at Central Market.
    Other option would be to talk to your store manager at Krogers and tell him this story. Their butcher may be new and doing something different.
    Good luck.

I've thought about getting a food saver because I've heard that can help a bit with the "frozen meat" issue. The butcher at my Kroger has been there for quite awhile. Its also not just the fresh meat from the Butcher that is the issue. It's the packaged Chicken Breast and the "Nolan Ryan brand" steaks. I have had good luck with the Flat Irons you talk about. I just think in general Kroger is slacking. They have a stranglehold on a lot of the chamber of commerce's they deal with throughout the country and I think that allows them to slack because they know they won't have much competition move in. They know that because of their size that basically anywhere they want to move in the chamber will say yes and they can demand that no competition comes in.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I have been very pleased with everything I have had from Sprouts so far. Their chicken goes on sale frequently. They also have shopping bags with catchy phrases like Every day I'm brusselin' ...so they get bonus points. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Have you started any new medications recently? Some meds can alter your taste. 

Have you tried other grocery stores besides Kroger?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Acn said:
    JRWhitee said:

We have a couple Aldi's around. I get even more concerned with Aldi than I do Kroger. Isn't Aldi a discount food chain like Trader Joe's? I would think their fresh meats would be even worse.
    I've never had an issue with things I've gotten at Trader Joe's, I find it better than one of the major chains in my area and as good as another (Giant and Safeway).  Much like most store brands, Aldi and TJs work with name brand manufacturers to get a store specific line.  I believe that Aldi chicken is actually rebranded Tyson.

One thing I will say about Aldi is to check them out.  We have 3 in our area and 2 are definitely superior to the other.  

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I stopped buying pork from Kroger about a year ago.  Everything was over injected with their salt water and the last couple of butts I bought were very hammy.  Haven't had any issues with their chicken.  If I'm buying their whole chicken is the Heritage Farms, but for breasts I buy the simple truth brand.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• TEXASBGE2018
    caliking said:
    Have you started any new medications recently? Some meds can alter your taste. 

Have you tried other grocery stores besides Kroger?

haha, nope. I don't take any medications. I used to shop at the local Tom Thumb but I was disappointed with almost all the fresh foods I bought there so I stopped. That's kinda what I was saying earlier. Kroger has almost a monopoly for groceries in my area. We have 2 Krogers, a Walmart Supercenter, 2 Aldi's and 1 Tom Thumb. We need more options but the idiots that run our Chamber of Commerce feel that given its an affluent area we apparently need about 10 Car dealerships and 50 Nail Salons rather than any other decent grocery stores.

• TEXASBGE2018
    I stopped buying pork from Kroger about a year ago.  Everything was over injected with their salt water and the last couple of butts I bought were very hammy.  Haven't had any issues with their chicken.  If I'm buying their whole chicken is the Heritage Farms, but for breasts I buy the simple truth brand.

Ya, my coworker here recommended the Organic Simple Truth ones. I may try that. I may just go check out Aldi as well. My brother and parents like it but in the past I've always laughed at them because everything they've bought is "generic"  i.e. "flakes with frosting" or "Ranch flavored corn chips".  I think Sprouts might be my best bet. Everything I've bought there was a little more expensive but not too crazy.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Sounds to me like you need to open a butcher shop.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    The new Kroger down the street from us has a bar in it with $2 tropicalia drafts. They have a god pedantic selection but I have never bought much meat there. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008

I've always laughed at them because everything they've bought is "generic"  i.e. "flakes with frosting" or "Ranch flavored corn chips".
    Kind of like when my wife's aunt switched out potoato chip bags at the local potato chip factory at 4pm everyday. One was the name brand bag and the other "generic". Guess who paid more for the same chip? ;)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited July 2018
    That's the other thing that sucks. I don't really have any local butcher shops around me. They are all like 20-30 miles away. Kinda annoying to have to drive 45min to an hour to go to the local butcher for meat every week.
    Do you have a Fresh Market near by? Where we live they put chicken breast and ground beef on sale every Tuesday (I think it is $2.99/lb). I have a Kroger one mile from my house and refuse to step foot in there.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Sounds to me like you need to open a butcher shop.

Man, I tell you what. If I knew I could make more money than I make now I would probably do it with little hesitation.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Do you have a Fresh Market near by? Where we live they put chicken breast and ground beef on sale every Tuesday (I think it is $2.99/lb). I have a Kroger one mile from my house and refuse to step foot in there.

Not really. I live about 30 Miles outside of Dallas. Any fresh markets or butcher shops are a 45min-1hour drive from me. At least the ones I would want to shop in for sanitary reasons. That's the crap of my issue. I live in a town with 50,000+ people right outside of Dallas and our grocery selection is crap.

• DoubleEgger

Not really. I live about 30 Miles outside of Dallas. Any fresh markets or butcher shops are a 45min-1hour drive from me. At least the ones I would want to shop in for sanitary reasons. That's the crap of my issue. I live in a town with 50,000+ people right outside of Dallas and our grocery selection is crap.
    I’m gonna take a stab at where you might live and suggest Old Town in Lewisville. It might be worth the short drive if I’m right. 
  • TEXASBGE2018

I’m gonna take a stab at where you might live and suggest Old Town in Lewisville. It might be worth the short drive if I’m right. 

Nope =) , I live east in Rockwall. Lewisville would take me 2hours with traffic. I've got several La Michoacana Meat Markets near me. The issue with those is I worked for Coca Cola in College and would go check in on those stores sometimes. I wouldn't step foot in another one of those sh*thole stores to buy a pack of gum let alone any meat my family would consume.

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354

Ya, my coworker here recommended the Organic Simple Truth ones. I may try that. I may just go check out Aldi as well. My brother and parents like it but in the past I've always laughed at them because everything they've bought is "generic"  i.e. "flakes with frosting" or "Ranch flavored corn chips".  I think Sprouts might be my best bet. Everything I've bought there was a little more expensive but not too crazy.
    The Simple Truth chicken is worth it.  If you look closely they have free range and "regular" with the free range being a bit more $$/pound.  I buy the regular.  A buddy likes the ribs too, however I've never tried them.

As far as Aldis the little bit of their meat I've tried was good.  I do like a lot of their "generic" items.  Take a step of your high stool and give it a shot.  I had the same mind set for a while until a buddy finally convinced me otherwise.  Not sure why I had the thoughts of it being an inferior product even though I had never tried it.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL