Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Heartburn free baby backs

Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
We love ribs at my house but I have the tendency of making em too smokey(is that even possible?). I usually use 4-6 chunks of hickory for 2 racks  and either go with the 5-6 hour unfoiled till done or the 2+2 method of 2 hours unfoiled and then 2 hours foiled with coffee depending upon how much bark I’m shooting for. Either way generally yields a little too much smoke making for some solid heartburn later on. Any recommendations for some smoke taste but not too much? Maybe 2-3 chunks of hickory or less? Maybe a different type of wood?

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    3-2-1. If you're seeing thick white smoke coming out the vent then use less wood, that's the bad kind of smoke and one of the "cons" of these type of cookers. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Powak
    Is that 3 hours unfoiled, 2 foiled, 1 FTC?
  • Powak
    edited July 2018
    I’ve noticed over 2 years of use my egg requires less and less smoke wood to give meat plenty of smoke flavor.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited July 2018
    1 hour back on the grill with whatever you're glazing it with. Hours are just a guideline though.... go by feel and internal temp. Or just skip the wrap step completely and maybe only add 2 chunks of wood... I was just suggesting wrapping to block the smoke. 

It's easy to get bitter smoke with the egg... I learned that right off the bat coming from an offset. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    4 - 6 chunks seems too much. I don't think I've ever used more than 3, usually 2. Fruitwoods are considered much milder for smoke flavor.

Technically, smoke does deposit spice chemicals, but I'd be more inclined to think there is something in the rub, or that there's not enough fat rendeing out. Consider adding some ginger and/or tumeric in sauce, or just take some turmeric extract after eating. It does wonders for heartburn for me.
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Try just 1-2 chunks of wood - like cherry or pecan. A lighter wood will do just fine and you'll get a mild flavor 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Hickory is very strong which is why I use milder woods like post oak or my new favorite peach wood for pork. If you use hickory I would limit it to 2 chunks.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    Eliminate the wood chunks and coffee as a starting point and go from there. 
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    I agree with DoubleEgger
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • abtaylor260
    abtaylor260 Posts: 242
    I think it’s already been said, but 6 chunks is quite a bit, I use 2-3 and place them on direct flame when I get my fire going, let it burn for about an hour to get that clean blue smoke, not the stinky white smoke. I have acid reflux and this does not bother me. Still getting that good smoke flavor as well.
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    Agreed with others, hickory is very strong smoke wood. Use less or try out different wood types. My favorite for pork is pecan wood. It smells incredible.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Powak said:
    We love ribs at my house but I have the tendency of making em too smokey(is that even possible?)...
    We all have different tastes, but I've never had ribs that were too smoky for me.  I like really smoky ribs.

But I've never heard of smoke causing heartburn!  I agree with others above that maybe it's something else that's causing the heartburn.  There certainly are people who don't like a lot of smoke, but that's just whether they like the flavor or not.

Maybe try NO wood one time and see if the heartburn goes away.  If it's still there, then you know it's not the smoke.  And if there's no heartburn, then you know it IS the smoke, and maybe try just one chunk and see how that goes.
  • Powak
    I’m rolling with one chunk of cherry today. Should be good!
  • Powak
    Here’s the ribs 2 hours in right before foiling. The meat fell of the bone, just looking at em.
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    I use 3-1-1 to avoid the ribs getting "mushy". Cherry wood is really good with pork and milder than hickory. 
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    4 hours naked all the way through is about where I like mine in the egg. If you are going to use some variation of 3-2-1, it will have to be substantially less time than 5-6 hours total. Also, I feel BB’s require less time than Stl. Good luck. 
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    For ribs I get my fire going until it’s burning clean then I add a few apple chunks the plate setter, drip pan, grill grate and inverted v-rack.  Then I let the chunks smoke off the heavy white stuff for about 30 minutes before I even add the ribs.  That’s my biggest change from when I first started smoking, I used to think all that heavy smoke was going to add flavor and didn’t realize it was not good to get my meat on when it was billowing out.  

I also used to put apple juice and apple cider vinegar in my drip pan in addition to spritzing with the same 50/50 mixture every hour but have since ditched any liquid in my drip pan and only spritz every hour now.  For some reason my ribs were a little off tasting with the liquid in the pan.  Car Wash Mike method is pretty much how I do mine.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    Well did you get heartburn? 
  • womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    Eliminate the wood chunks and coffee as a starting point and go from there. 
    I second this advice. When I was well into smoking I found that I was going deeper and deeper into the abyss, putting too much smoke on the food. I started new "smokes" without any, taking notes along the way. 

You don't need a lot of additional smoke in the chamber to get a good result.

Lighter woods make a difference too. Pecan is a good mild source of flavor.
  • Powak
    Well did you get heartburn? 
    NONE! No heartburn for me or swmbo. Cherry and only one chunk of it was perfect for the BB ribs. I too let the smoke wood get burning for about 25 minutes before throwing the ribs on. 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I am amazed!  Thanks for reporting on this!  I've never head of smoke causing heartburn before, but good to know that some people experience this.