Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone have Egg issues with their neighbors?

Options

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited July 2018
    Options
    SJEgg said:

@SJEgg In order to paint a better mental picture of the situation, how far away are your houses? 

Fair question. It's California so we are close. The smoke, some days, will go over the fence. Other days it goes towards my house. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1nscveygpaabs4s/IMG_3428.png?dl=0

Ya that's at least 20-30ft between your egg and her house. She can get over it. Better yet, complain that her crappy cheap Christmas lights on her back porch shine into your dining room and bother you when you are trying to have a nice dinner with your family

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    edited July 2018
    Options
     Randy quaid might offer some advice...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=beXPpObKWFo
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    I'm thinking she will complain about the noise of the fan if you turn it on to blow the smoke away. Some people would complain if you gave them a thousand dollars in 1 dollar denominations.  
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • BigGreenBean
    BigGreenBean Posts: 117
    Options
    SJEgg said:

Cook a nice meal on the egg and invite them over for dinner one of the first night's they're there.  Who wants to cook when you're sweaty and tired and the house is full of boxes?  Beer, wine, and then show them the egg you cooked that meal on.  If you don't hit it off then, the situation will forever be hopeless.  In which case, they might have to disappear...
    I've done that. Her response is, "I won't put those toxins in my body."
    Pisses me off, and she's not even my neighbor.  Sorry you have to put up with that.  Some people are just a-holes.  
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    SJEgg said:

Cook a nice meal on the egg and invite them over for dinner one of the first night's they're there.  Who wants to cook when you're sweaty and tired and the house is full of boxes?  Beer, wine, and then show them the egg you cooked that meal on.  If you don't hit it off then, the situation will forever be hopeless.  In which case, they might have to disappear...
    I've done that. Her response is, "I won't put those toxins in my body."
    Pisses me off, and she's not even my neighbor.  Sorry you have to put up with that.  Some people are just a-holes.  
    Leave us a-holes out of it. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    All I took from this is that somewhere in California...there are flying tree rats. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I have a fan next to my eggs to blow the smoke into the vegetatians' yard, which is maybe 10 feet from my egg.  They never complain though. I don't complain about their 6 misfit dogs barking.  I just turn the music up louder.

Seriously, we're good friends with all our neighbors.  Had some bad ones a while back but they left and it's been nirvana.

I did have one neighbor call me after midnight during a crawfish boil and he asked to turn it down.  We actually had a band playing outside.  Well, that is if you can call two guys with guitars and amps a band.  But it was all good.

Options
    I'd call the cops if someone was blasting a Line 6 too. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    Options
     Personally I would smile and nod, “yes ma’am, yes ma’am, have a nice day” and just go about my business :bee:
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    hahaha
    Options
    SJEgg said:

@SJEgg In order to paint a better mental picture of the situation, how far away are your houses? 

Fair question. It's California so we are close. The smoke, some days, will go over the fence. Other days it goes towards my house. Here's a good panoramic photo of the back yard and her house. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1nscveygpaabs4s/IMG_3428.png?dl=0

Yeah that chick has lost her mind. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited July 2018
    Options

Have a truck of manure delivered  - have it dropped right onto her driveway (pay cash)

Then she'd have some shlt to complain about.  

Every time she complains after that, you won't be able to stop smiling.

Phoenix 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,189
    Options
    blasting said:

Have a dump truck of manure onto her driveway (pay cash)

You need to be more discreet. 

https://www.poopsenders.com/
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    LOL @doubleEgger the combo pack is the way to go.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    blasting said:

Have a dump truck of manure onto her driveway (pay cash)

haha I had to go there to see if it was real. Man, I can think of around 10-15 people that need this done to them just off the top of my head.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    That’s a new twist on the rub and sauce exchange. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    They came without gear, that's whatever crap they could find that worked laying around the house.

The guy on the right is Vinny Raniolo, who you may have heard of if you're into gypsy jazz.

He often plays with Frank Vignola.  

The other guy is my buddy Henrik, a retired (not by choice) Dane engineer who just plays for fun.

edited July 2018
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    They came without gear, that's whatever crap they could find that worked laying around the house.

The guy on the right is Vinny Raniolo, who you may have heard of if you're into gypsy jazz.

He often plays with Frank Vignola.  

The other guy is my buddy Henrik, a retired (not by choice) Dane engineer who just plays for fun.

That's cool. I was just kidding... I've got an amp on CL right now to help fund an offset smoker. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Yeah, I know.

I almost pulled the trigger on a 100 watt 2x12 Budda combo amp at a pawn shop the other day.   $1700 off new price, but it turned out to have a bad hum, and it would have maybe been a good investment, but I would have never used it.  Money better spent going up in smoke in other ways.
    On the old forum years ago, there was a guy in Florida who posted about a crazy old man who lived next door to him. He supposedly walked outside to see the old man carrying a bucket of water heading toward his smoking egg. 

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    On the old forum years ago, there was a guy in Florida who posted about a crazy old man who lived next door to him. He supposedly walked outside to see the old man carrying a bucket of water heading toward his smoking egg. 

Where did they bury the fool?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Most of the time, they embrace it.  If they don't, there are deeper issues there!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I don't know where these neighbors come from?  I've never had any problems with a neighbor.  Maybe I'm lucky, or maybe they just enjoy the free samples.

If I see a guy in my backyard messing with my grills he is clearly requesting hospital food.

People are insane.

Phoenix 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Yippy dogs will still eat pulled pork laced with rat poison!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    All my neighbors have gassers, which they seldom use.
    I use my Egg an average of at least twice a week all year long.

You would not believe how often I get: 
    "Hey, were you using your grill yesterday?"
    "Sure"
    "Man, that smelled good."
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Dude.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    edited July 2018
    Options

Stillwater, MN
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Not cool.
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options

I'm curious about the onion-in-the-lump trick that somebody posted on the first page...

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    thetrim said:

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN