Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone have Egg issues with their neighbors?

Options

Comments

• ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    kill then while they sleep!
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    I have volunteered to cook fajitas and ABTs for two neighborhood block parties since I bought my egg. Not only did they compliment me they were huggin on me and saying thank you, girls was kissin on me, they thought it was really good! :laugh:

I don't have any complaints from my neighbors, they just want to know what's cooking!
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • ASTegaCay
    ASTegaCay Posts: 97
    Options
    Normally they are coming over to see what I am cooking. Plus the neighbor across the street his catahulla dog, won't leave my driveway(he has the bes of both worlds, beer and BBQ.
  • SJEgg
    SJEgg Posts: 7
    Options
    My neighbor gives me no end of grief when I cook. I’ve had to move my egg to the farthest point from her house and alert her when I cook. She still gripes. Today I had to stop half way in my cook b/c of her complaints. 

Her: “Can you speed this up? The smoke is in my house?”
    Me: “No:
    Her: “I had to leave my house and I have work to do.”
    Me: “Ok. I will stop in 6 mins.”
    - 6 min -
    Me: “Off”
    Her: “THank you”
    Me: “You bet”
    Her: “So, my lungs are inflamed, maybe because of the combo spare the air day and green egg. Next time let me know when you start and how long so I can leave the house for the duration plus an added hour. When this happens to my lungs it takes a couple days to recover. Thanks! ”
    Me: “I check this (sparetheair.org) and it was clear today”. 
    Her: “Well, then it is 100 percent your smoke and that sucks for me.“

Un Be Leave A bull. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    SJEgg said:
    My neighbor gives me no end of grief when I cook. I’ve had to move my egg to the farthest point from her house and alert her when I cook. She still gripes. Today I had to stop half way in my cook b/c of her complaints. 

- 6 min -
    Her: “So, my lungs are inflamed, maybe because of the combo spare the air day and green egg. Next time let me know when you start and how long so I can leave the house for the duration plus an added hour. When this happens to my lungs it takes a couple days to recover. Thanks! ”

Un Be Leave A bull. 
    Kid Rock has a few thoughts for your neighbor 

https://youtu.be/uxKeTDjxur4
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Low and slow is no problem but burgers, koftas and chicken done direct do tend to make a lot of not very nice smoke. We are lucky to only have neighbours on one side and they aren't outside much. I still try and keep the smoke away from their property, they have never complained though.
  • B727
    B727 Posts: 18
    Options
    I can't imagine being offended by the smell of pork cooking. "Won't you be MY neighbor?"
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    If you are the incumbent neighbor......the new guy is not likely to be vocal. Egg on.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I wish I had neighbors like you on both sides of me. On 1 side I do. The other not at all. You seem very polite being worried about something like this. I think you are waaayyyyy over thinking it. They don't own the atmosphere. You can't help it if on a windy day what you do on your own property drifts in their direction. Its not like you are burning tires. You are making food. They will have to deal with things sometimes just like you will. I wouldn't worry about it at all. If they mention something to you about it bothering them, then at that point you should put a little more thought into it, but again even then, you are doing it on your own property. They don't own the air. They will have to suck it up for 2 hours if they are bothered by the smell of great food. Unless you have a city ordinance that says you cant have temporary noxious odors annoying your neighbors (Insert fart joke here) then keep Egging on. And ya if you wanna go that far take them some food go for it. However, I am of the mindset that if some person I have never met brings me food, its always suspect. So keep that in mind.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Not a problem but a genuine concern.

When Home Depot started selling Royal Oak that was from outside the US I had a terrible time with black, stinky smoke. During the final time I used RO, two neighbors banged on our door @ around 6:30AM, concerned that our house was on fire.

Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    I wouldn’t be so accommodating as now it’s as if they own the atmosphere. What if they don’t like the smell of your laundry detergent and want to approve when you run your dryer, or when you paint inside your house etc lol. Nip that in the bud 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Maybe next time I should look at when the original post was. Considering i'm 7 YEARS LATE!!!!!! 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• SJEgg
    Options
    I wish I had neighbors like you on both sides of me. On 1 side I do. The other not at all. You seem very polite being worried about something like this. I think you are waaayyyyy over thinking it. They don't own the atmosphere. You can't help it if on a windy day what you do on your own property drifts in their direction. Its not like you are burning tires. You are making food. They will have to deal with things sometimes just like you will. I wouldn't worry about it at all. If they mention something to you about it bothering them, then at that point you should put a little more thought into it, but again even then, you are doing it on your own property. They don't own the air. They will have to suck it up for 2 hours if they are bothered by the smell of great food. Unless you have a city ordinance that says you cant have temporary noxious odors annoying your neighbors (Insert fart joke here) then keep Egging on. And ya if you wanna go that far take them some food go for it. However, I am of the mindset that if some person I have never met brings me food, its always suspect. So keep that in mind.
    We don’t have an ordinance. I have invited her to eat the food and I’m met with, “I won’t put those toxins into my body.” She says she some sort of lung disease which is ironic where she lives; San Jose is one of the most polluted cities in North American. 4th worst in 2017. 10th worst in 2018. She walks the neighborhood w/o a mask daily. She made her husband get rid of his smoker which is now two doors down from her. There’s another Egger two doors down from me the other direction. 
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Yep... the 'coons (raccoons, that is) have figured out how to lift the lid!!
  • TEXASBGE2018
    edited July 2018
    Options
    SJEgg said:
    We don’t have an ordinance. I have invited her to eat the food and I’m met with, “I won’t put those toxins into my body.” She says she some sort of lung disease which is ironic where she lives; San Jose is one of the most polluted cities in North American. 4th worst in 2017. 10th worst in 2018. She walks the neighborhood w/o a mask daily. She made her husband get rid of his smoker which is now two doors down from her. There’s another Egger two doors down from me the other direction. 
    My comment was directed at the Original poster, which I realized after the fact was from 2011. As for your neighbor,She can suck it. Its a free country and you aren't doing anything illegal. She doesn't like the smell, go inside for a couple hours. If she calls the cops on you, unless you are spewing thick black smoke for hours on end that is overtaking the neighborhood they will do nothing. You wont even get a visit from them.

• BigGreenBean
    BigGreenBean Posts: 117
    Options
    Cook a nice meal on the egg and invite them over for dinner one of the first night's they're there.  Who wants to cook when you're sweaty and tired and the house is full of boxes?  Beer, wine, and then show them the egg you cooked that meal on.  If you don't hit it off then, the situation will forever be hopeless.  In which case, they might have to disappear...
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    @SJEgg In order to paint a better mental picture of the situation, how far away are your houses? 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options

B727 said:
    I can't imagine being offended by the smell of pork cooking. "Won't you be MY neighbor?"
    I guess you aren’t Jewish or Muslim. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Sounds like @SJEgg needs to start cooking briskets on the regular. “How long are you cooking today so I can leave the house?” Uhhhh about 16hrs. Lol. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

B727 said:
    I would be the worst Jew or Muslim.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• DoubleEgger
    Options

B727 said:
    I would be the worst Jew or Muslim.
    Yeah. I’d get kicked out within 24hrs. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    I get the "Kiss My A$$, this is 'Merica" sentiment but neighbors are like hand grenades...handle with care. It can be a mutually destructive situation.

My neighbor has yippy dogs. They are the worst. She leaves them outside for hours on end and I work from home. I've asked her repeatedly to bring them in...nothing. I can't punish the dogs, it's her fault. 

I can, however, start a campfire and pour chicken fat on it when she's throwing her outdoor catered birthday party. (Note: Chemical warfare should always be a counter-strike.)

Moral of the story...remember, you can be an a$$hole. But one day you're likely to stumble upon a bigger a$$hole. Murphy's Law and all.

It is a slippery slope. The yippy dogs being outside is a killer to me. They can be brought back inside because a dog that wont shut up cant be controlled easily when left alone. But as @DoubleEgger said, we kinda need to know distance here. If the egg is 2ft from the fence and the neighbor's patio is on the immediate other side of the fence with the smoke just bombarding them that's maybe a little different than if he/she has their egg on their patio that is 15-20ft from the fence and the neighbors patio is on the opposite end of their yard so we are talking 50-100ft from the egg. My neighbor has a Traeger that he uses almost every weekend. Now granted I love the smell of grilling so I don't care. But my neighbor on the other side of me smokes cigarettes like a convict and I smell it all the time when I'm out front getting mail or doing stuff in the front yard. Its disgusting but I'm not gonna go tell her to quit sucking on her death sticks because I smell smoke for 5 seconds. The one thing I will do regularly though is when I find one of her cigarette butt's in front of my house or on my lawn I will kindly pick it up and throw it in her yard. My hope is that once a little collection gets built up there she will take notice and do that shite inside her house. Not my problem that she wants to smoke but doesn't want the smell in her house.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    SJEgg said:

- 6 min -

Un Be Leave A bull. 

I'm willing to wager this woman has something to complain about every day of her life.  You should bring her poor husband a care package - no doubt his life is miserable.

Phoenix 
  • SJEgg
    edited July 2018
    Options
    blasting said:
    I'm willing to wager this woman has something to complain about every day of her life.  You should bring her poor husband a care package - no doubt his life is miserable.

• She's complained about the tree between our yards allowing rats to jump on her roof (I had it pruned up and away from her roof). 
    • She's complained about the tree between our yards, on my property, ruining her foundation (NB: the previous owner was a builder and put down a slab, not a foundation, and wasn't concerned with this). 
    • She's complained about my old dog barking.
    • She's complained about my car's exhaust noise (funny .. her husband updated his exhaust too). 
    • She said my fence has dirt against the posts which is cause the posts to crack and fall on her side (Her vines are pulling it over). 
    • She wants me to remove all my plants and install a concrete "tub" and then replant the plants along the fence. 
    • She complains our lawn guy blows dust all over her house, windows and cars (my wife when over there with a bucket and gloves and she told her that cleaning it wasn't necessary). 
    How did you know? 
  • SJEgg
    Options

Cook a nice meal on the egg and invite them over for dinner one of the first night's they're there.  Who wants to cook when you're sweaty and tired and the house is full of boxes?  Beer, wine, and then show them the egg you cooked that meal on.  If you don't hit it off then, the situation will forever be hopeless.  In which case, they might have to disappear...
    I've done that. Her response is, "I won't put those toxins in my body."
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    SJEgg said:
    blasting said:

• She's complained about the tree between our yards allowing rats to jump on her roof (I had it pruned up and away from her roof). 
    • She's complained about the tree between our yards, on my property, ruining her foundation (NB: the previous owner was a builder and put down a slab, not a foundation, and wasn't concerned with this). 
    • She's complained about my old dog barking. She's complained about my car's exhaust noise (funny .. her husband updated his exhaust too). 
    • She said my fence has dirt against the posts which is cause the posts to crack and fall on her side (Her vines are pulling it over). 
    • She wants me to remove all my plants and install a concrete "tub" and then replant the plants along the fence. 
    • She complains our lawn guy blows dust all over her house, windows and cars (my wife when over there with a bucket and gloves and she told her that cleaning it wasn't necessary). 
    How did you know? 

Sounds like she needs to just go ahead and walk into oncoming traffic and get it all over with. Sorry for being so harsh but good lord who complains about that much mundane stuff in their life.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    She sounds like a real sweet lady.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SJEgg
    edited July 2018
    Options

@SJEgg In order to paint a better mental picture of the situation, how far away are your houses? 

Fair question. It's California so we are close. The smoke, some days, will go over the fence. Other days it goes towards my house. Here's a good panoramic photo of the back yard and her house. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1nscveygpaabs4s/IMG_3428.png?dl=0

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    I get the "Kiss My A$$, this is 'Merica" sentiment but neighbors are like hand grenades...handle with care. It can be a mutually destructive situation.

My neighbor has yippy dogs. They are the worst. She leaves them outside for hours on end and I work from home. I've asked her repeatedly to bring them in...nothing. I can't punish the dogs, it's her fault. 

I can, however, start a campfire and pour chicken fat on it when she's throwing her outdoor catered birthday party. (Note: Chemical warfare should always be a counter-strike.)

Moral of the story...remember, you can be an a$$hole. But one day you're likely to stumble upon a bigger a$$hole. Murphy's Law and all.
    Maybe one of those electronic bark stopper gadgets would work for you.