Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New and improved pizza dough recipe, pics of a Moroccan lamb pizza

Options
New to me at least. After enjoying Ken Forkish's approach to bread making, I tried his pizza dough recipe, changing it a bit to make it work for me. Tried with our standard Moroccan lamb pizza, yep this is a winner. Recipe in the link below:

Some pics of the pizza and creating it:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    That looks GREAT!! I've been happy with Jim Lahey's no knead dough lately, but always interested in new recipes. Thanks!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    I just did a batch of pizzas using the Ken Forkish book, it's the best pizza dough I've made so far.
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Fantastic cook as always. Inspirational!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Stubby
    Stubby Posts: 134
    Options
    Looks great.. Nice round pizza.. i cant get mine to get any where near that.. always looks like a but cheek.. lol
    XL.......for now

Kernersville, NC
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Stubby said:
    Looks great.. Nice round pizza.. i cant get mine to get any where near that.. always looks like a but cheek.. lol
    @Stubby Make sure when you ball the dough, you form a round dough ball. If it doesn't start out round, it's not gonna finish round. Also, take it out of the fridge at least two hours before using it. That way, it can relax and it'll be easier to shape.

EDIT...
    If you need help on how to form a dough ball... 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he-V1J86REA 

And shaping the pie (first 4 minutes)... 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjYqw1CLZsA 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Kcheves
    Kcheves Posts: 92
    Options
    Anyone know how to cut a pizza into 10 slices?

"Semper ubi sub ubi"

San Diego, CA

• booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    That pizza looks perfect- thanks for sharing1
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • BuzzinBoca
    BuzzinBoca Posts: 13
    Options
    Kcheves said:
    Anyone know how to cut a pizza into 10 slices?
    What do you know, the high school job pays off.  Start by cutting an x one slice wide.  In this case 36 degrees.   Think 12:36 to 6:36 and 4:24 to 11:24.

Now cut straight across 3 to 9.

Finally two more cuts to divide the 4 largest remaining pieces.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options
    Thanks folks, I'm making another one tonight, BBQ chicken with sweetcorn :D

@Carolina Q the no-knead recipe is on my list of things to do. It's a long list. ;)

@Stubby the trick is starting with a circular shaped object, ball or otherwise, or relaxed dough with just the right amount of elasticity. This is why I prove the dough ball on a circular plate, it naturally forms a circle. I also use a mat that has circles on it to help. You can just about see the circle at the bottom of this picture: 

Having said all of that, if it tastes great, does it need to be circular? :)
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• Stormbringer
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Pizza from last night, using the second portion of dough that I made, which was then frozen after the second fermentation and then defrosted to room temperature. Still makes for a good pie, although the first one had more spring in it though, and also browned more readily.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    New to me at least. After enjoying Ken Forkish's approach to bread making, I tried his pizza dough recipe, changing it a bit to make it work for me. Tried with our standard Moroccan lamb pizza, yep this is a winner. Recipe in the link below:

This looks great.  Your hydration is quite a bit higher than I normally use with his doughs.  What temp was your stone at when you were cooking?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Stormbringer
    Options

This looks great.  Your hydration is quite a bit higher than I normally use with his doughs.  What temp was your stone at when you were cooking?
    Thanks, bud. I used a bit more water to make the dough easier to work with, I also used a bit more yeast. The dome temp was around 710F/375C, with the stone temp around 625F/330C.