Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Mountain Biking

Options

Comments

• mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    I use an all plastic saddle ill send pictures over shortly

Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Just gotta build your butt up to it. First few rides you will be sore. I have an old selle italia seat, its like a rock. Comfortable when you get used to it. 
    Yep, more padding actually makes you get sores and is worse for your bum.  Those big gel seats are only good for short trips, not real riding.  I posted my seats earlier in the thread and although they don’t look comfortable they are, the seat on my hardtail race bike hardly has any padding at all.  Like you said, you get used to it.. I can be on the bike for several hours and my legs will hurt before anything else.  
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I ride my road bike mostly. I just picked up the mountain bike this summer. It’s more for all terrain riding - I’m too old for hard core stuff. 

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    my full suspension scott that ive been using for the last 2 seasons (although this year Ive only road 4 times so far but getting back into it now)

Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Hearing you guys talk about riding is inspiring. I used to ride 200+ a week, raced mountain bikes and trained on the road. An out of the blue bout with Vertigo took me off a few years back and have not been able to get back to it. Vertigo is a real problem in a 30 mile an hour paceline. My sub 15lb Time Pro Team and two Marin mtn bikes are just art in the garage now. I do love my Egg though.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Retired the Ron Cooper, Franklin tandem, Serotta, Daimler and mountain bikes for Catrike recumbent trikes..The miles never stops. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    rockhopper here, took off the stupid mountain bike seat and put on a nice brooks saddle.  i use it as a road bike.  used to put a few hundred miles a week on a schwinn supersport racer but theres no time for that these days, probably put an hour or two on the rockhopper a year now  =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    put saddle bags on the rockhopper for the beers as well ;)  just a question, why no kickstands anymore
    fukahwee maine

• frazzdaddy
    Options
    put saddle bags on the rockhopper for the beers as well ;)  just a question, why no kickstands anymore
    xtra weight,no bueno
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,113
    Options
    just a question, why no kickstands anymore

An Aluminum kickstand doesnt weigh much- if your on just a street cruiser why not.  Why they arent on MTB is because they would get shook to hell and maybe open, slide left/ right and get in the way of a pedal.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    just a question, why no kickstands anymore

An Aluminum kickstand doesnt weigh much- if your on just a street cruiser why not.  Why they arent on MTB is because they would get shook to hell and maybe open, slide left/ right and get in the way of a pedal.
    i can see it on the mtn bike. last two road bikes it really annoyed me it wasnt there
    fukahwee maine

• bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    For road bikes they probably aren’t there to save weight and to keep the bike looking clean. I don’t get the whole weight thing for bikes. The heaviest thing you put on your bike is you. If I cared about weight I wouldn’t drink beer and eat BBQ. For touring bikes or commuters that run panniers, the average kick stands can actually cause harm to the frame.  I think that is why a lot of bikes don’t come with them. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • frazzdaddy
    Options
    For road bikes they probably aren’t there to save weight and to keep the bike looking clean. I don’t get the whole weight thing for bikes. The heaviest thing you put on your bike is you. If I cared about weight I wouldn’t drink beer and eat BBQ. For touring bikes or commuters that run panniers, the average kick stands can actually cause harm to the frame.  I think that is why a lot of bikes don’t come with them. 

When you are pedaling up hill every ounce matters. You will never see a kick stand on any serious cyclist's bike. 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • fishlessman
    Options

When you are pedaling up hill every ounce matters. You will never see a kick stand on any serious cyclist's bike. 
    not everyones a serious cyclist, used to do a ton of miles getting places, it was never about the ride for me, it was a destination
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    googled my first road bike, wish i still had it.  schwinn supersport  in sunset orange, with a kickstand, the short fenders, the dropdown AND crossbar brakes B)  back when you only needed ten speeds =) this one even has the black brooks saddle like the one i had

fukahwee maine

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @fishlessman I hear ya. I wish I still had this Peugeot I bought in college. (Pic nabbed from the web) I also wish I had kept the old wool jerseys...

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Mountain biking is fun...
  • frazzdaddy
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @fishlessman I hear ya. I wish I still had this Peugeot I bought in college. (Pic nabbed from the web) I also wish I had kept the old wool jerseys...

That was my first road bike. I loved that bike!
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • frazzdaddy
    Options

not everyones a serious cyclist, used to do a ton of miles getting places, it was never about the ride for me, it was a destination

True and you are right. I was more so addressing the why no kickstand question.
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • ScarletFire
    Options
    U_tarded said:

Nice stash.  Moutain bike forums are worse than this place for wallet genocide.  I’ve only got like 200 miles on mine and it will be slow until it cools off a bit, but I’m already eyeing a yeti fs they have at the LBS because I spend too much time looking at bikes and trail videos on YouTube.
    I've got the Yeti SB6 and its a sweet bike. I go to the Tribe Gathering in Colorado, its the only time the suspension comes close to maxing out! 
  • lentsboy007
    lentsboy007 Posts: 416
    Options
    Just started last month . Knees can’t take running anymore 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• Cornholio
    Options
    U_tarded said:

Nice stash.  Moutain bike forums are worse than this place for wallet genocide.  I’ve only got like 200 miles on mine and it will be slow until it cools off a bit, but I’m already eyeing a yeti fs they have at the LBS because I spend too much time looking at bikes and trail videos on YouTube.
    I've got the Yeti SB6 and its a sweet bike. I go to the Tribe Gathering in Colorado, its the only time the suspension comes close to maxing out! 
    That’s a nice bike for sure!  My current do it all bike is a ‘17 RIP9.  Been eyeing the new Ibis Ripmo but with an 8 month old and 2.5 year old getting a lot of riding in is tough so been resisting any new bikes.  Luckily I have a great trail system I can ride to from my garage.   My Egging has become more frequent now though so at least there’s that silver lining.  All my spare time used to be dedicated to bikes.  
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited June 2018
    Options
    U_tarded said:

SB66 rider here.  Haven't been to the Tribe since it was in Minturn - that's my old stomping grounds for a couple of decades so it was fun to hang there and see old and new friends...
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options

Then I guess this is out of the question...

Signal Mountain, TN
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    It's hard to get back on a bicycle after riding motorcycles. You kick your leg over your bike like you do a motorcycle. Than you start pedaling. A mile feels like forever. I think it's just my mindset and riding position of a bicycle/motorcycle that they feel similar in a way that it makes bicycle riding annoyingly slow. Which is my fault and brain telling me this. I really should find more interesting places to ride other than sidewalks next to a street. Which makes me wish I was on a motorcycle going faster....
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    Had to buy an old man bike (Bad Back) Jamis Citizen 2. Have about 3,000 miles on it.  Took two red wasps to the forehead and face on a morning run!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• Cornholio
    Options
    Ouch @Scott805!  Riding bikes is riding bikes so good for you getting out there and earning your BBQ calories.  I got stung by a bee that got caught in my helmet a few years ago the day before a Vegas trip, I wore a hat all weekend in the pool to cover what looked like a giant zit but was a sting on my forehead.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    TN_Egger said:

Then I guess this is out of the question...

this works even better =)

fukahwee maine

• ScarletFire
    Options
    Cornholio said:
    U_tarded said:

That’s a nice bike for sure!  My current do it all bike is a ‘17 RIP9.  Been eyeing the new Ibis Ripmo but with an 8 month old and 2.5 year old getting a lot of riding in is tough so been resisting any new bikes.  Luckily I have a great trail system I can ride to from my garage.   My Egging has become more frequent now though so at least there’s that silver lining.  All my spare time used to be dedicated to bikes.  
    I've been a Yeti guy for years, starting with a 575, but those Ibis bikes are sick, and I almost switched. Their frames are works of art.