Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I had a great night but forget to put the protein on for todays cook, dilemma's!!!

Options
mlc2013
mlc2013 Posts: 988
Last night was a great night a few friends I have not seen in a while a bottle or 3 of bourbon and lets just say I never put the butt or brisket on last night for todays backyard olympics. I am definitely not doing the brisket for today as were eating at 4:30 but will through it on the grill after everything is off and where sitting down to eat after I reload the lump, and well have brisket all week yum. (its already all trimmed and rubbed why not).

Anyway here is my question my inability to stay focused last night is changing my game plan. Im now going to make pulled pork and chicken and shrimp for quesadillas. Plus Ribs because why not. I have an XL that I plan on putting the 2 birds and 6 racks of ribs on as we get closer ill turbo the ribs and ill do the bird raised indirect spatchcock.

Which leaves me the M/M for the butt. I have only done 2 cooks on the M/M thus far and cant seem to get the temp dialed in perfect its a bit different then the settings on the XL with that said im going to have to turbo my butt being its already 7:00 and I only lit the grill 15 minutes ago.

Im thinking 325 on a woo with drip pan and naked all the way. 8lb butt should take 5.5/6.5 hours give or take, which leaves me time to FTC while I through on the Yams etc. Any suggestions for bottom vent and daisy wheel setting for 325 on M/M ill be away from cook for 3 hours this morning as I go for a quick mountain bike ride so dont want a repeat of my last butt where the egg took off on me and I was not here although the butt came out just fine would rather not risk it again. Also with the woo the butt will be higher in the dome I didnt try it yet hope it fits otherwise going to ditch the woo and use a spyder to drop the drip pan and put the butt at felt level.

I really gotta stop effing around the night before big events and focus on this cooking thing I love to do, so that im not under pressure all the time.
Long Island NY    
1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ahhh...taking drunk out on the island. Has derailed many of us and forced an Audible  at the line of scrimmage. It happens!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    I think each egg has it's own settings and part of the ride for me is figuring out those settings over time.  My MM gets hotter faster with less changes to the openings of the bottom vent or daisy wheel- sounds like yours does too.  I would probably clamp it down top and bottom as much as I could without it going out and hope for the best for 3 hours of being away (you probably already did that).  I love my flame boss but I am not sure if they make an adaptor for the MM.  How did it go?
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • mlc2013
    Options
    booksw It actually changing over time, the first cook I had to keep the top and bottom just a sliver open to keep 350 steady, but yesterdays cook i left it the same way and when I called my wife before I went into the trail I asked her to look at it and it was at 200 so I asked her to open both vents double what they were and I cane home egg was sitting 320 it took hours to get it back down to 275-300 and then the lump started to go out, I pilled as much lump as I could the lump was touching the bottom of the woo when I started so i pulled the woo and re loaded replaced everything and at the same settings on both vents it skyrocket to 350, So as of now I have no idea how to set this thing ill need more practice and hopefully on a shorter cook.
    And to answer your question the pulled pork came out OK it had a thicker bark then I would like but was very juicy, I blame the bark on the higher temps.

Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    Options
    So here are the end results to my audible as northGAcock pointed out above, the cook completely changed, and for the better if you ask me!

I made a pork butt on M/M raised direct naked with dry drip pan coated with fresh onion and fresh garlic mashed up and then rubbed with byrons butt rub 270-325 (started low and kept spiking Im still not sue how to control the temp on this guy yet), about 8 hours, then FTC for 1.5 hours for sammies with coleslaw (store bought) and gator pickles (thanks @Possumtrot they were fantastic) on toasted brioche bread.

I made 3 racks beef short ribs on XL naked raised indirect dry drip pan coated with Worcestershire sauce and rubbed with montreal seasoning as per lousubcap advice (they came out amazing probably the best thing I ever ate off the egg thus far) 270-300 4.5 hours then wrapped in foil and transferred to M/M to finish about 1 hour at 200-225.

I also put 3 racks of pork ribs on XL 2 on the lover grate in front of the drip for the beef ribs and 1 on top grate in front of beef ribs, (here is where I went wrong should have wrapped the bottom racks, as the bone side down was well charred but the meat side was edible but not my best work), they were on for about 3.5-4 hours 270-300. I coated the pork ribs with mustard and rubbed with Willinghams Wham, (thanks again @Possumtrot) then I pulled from grill and mopped with Loveless cafe Blackberry BBQ sauce and foiled and put in cooler with the butt till time to eat about 1 hour.

After I pulled the beef and pork ribs I cranked the XL up to 450 and put the 2 birds on raised indirect with thighs facing the rear about 1 hour. Birds were salt brined 1 day and then rubbed with Tennessee Whiskey Lemon Pepper & Herb Seasoning - Lynchburg TN. and this was the best spatchcock chicken I have ever had thanks again @Possumtrot.

While XL was coming to temp for the birds I through a tray of sweet potatoes rubbed with equal parts of honey and EVOO and coated with cinnamon in the oven at 400 for about 1 hour and put the corn in a sugar water milk bath on the stove for about 30 minutes.
    Everything except the overdone pork ribs were great the butt had a little to dark of a bark on the back side closest to the back of the egg but was still delicious and juicy and we ate like pigs royal pigs that is
    Long Island NY    
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Strong work.  I would crush all that.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Now that is a protein banquet and likely consumption overload right there.  Way to pull it all together.  Congrats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mlc2013
    Options
    saluki2007, thank you all were pleased and stuffed
    lousubcap, is there another kind of banquet? and in my house there simply called meat fest of weekend BBQ
    Long Island NY    
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    it looks really good @mlc2013 !  I think the MM maybe is more responsive to small changes in any vent.  I used mine yesterday for my wrong short ribs (that turned out crazy delicious) and it held pretty close to 225 the whole time- about 6 hours.  I tweaked some settings (either the daisy wheel or the bottom vent but never both)- maybe every 90 minutes or so.  It is much easier to heat it up than it is to cool it down.  I thought you might run into that issue when you said it was past 300 and you were waiting for the temp to go down- I haven't had much success with lowering temps (unless Im running out of fuel). I think the ceramic holds the heat too efficiently to cool down in that way.  After I finished smoking, I opened the vents and it came up to 350-400 to grill asparagus and shrimp before I shut it down. I haven't opened it up yet to see how much lump is left but I am guessing not too much.
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • mlc2013
    Options
     I don’t think your ribs were wrong from what I can tell from your photo they were beef short ribs as Well just pre sliced whereas mine was the whole rack
    Long Island NY