Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

presents from Mexico - any suggestions for their use?

2»

Comments

• InfectedDAS
    InfectedDAS Posts: 211
    With carne seca make some scramble eggs!!
    The Glorias eat them as dessert with a coffee and the rubs are good.

Use oil with some garlic and onion then add the machaca and finally the eggs.

You can do some cubed potatoes with tomatoes, onions fresh cheese and carne seca.

You can also eat carne seca as is.

The salt is smoked sea salt with a heavy apple flavor and Habanero/Chipotle/Piquin.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    With carne seca make some scramble eggs!!
    The Glorias eat them as dessert with a coffee and the rubs are good.

Use oil with some garlic and onion then add the machaca and finally the eggs.

You can do some cubed potatoes with tomatoes, onions fresh cheese and carne seca.

You can also eat carne seca as is.

The salt is smoked sea salt with a heavy apple flavor and Habanero/Chipotle/Piquin.

Daniel, is this you, my new Mexican friend?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • InfectedDAS
    InfectedDAS Posts: 211
    @RRP I'm not Daniel, though I'm Mexican and can be your friend, there's no walls on the Net....at least not yet.
  • RRP
    @RRP I'm not Daniel, though I'm Mexican and can be your friend, there's no walls on the Net....at least not yet.
    OK - you say so - it's just that my new Mexican friend also has an XL like you and his initials are DAS. Just coincidences I suppose! ;)
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    RRP said:

Today I received a big package of food items from Mexico from an appreciative customer there. While I recognize the mug,  honey and candies there are items that I didn't have a clue how to use. I GOOGLED them so now I at least have an idea what to ask. =) The first is this big package of carne sea de res which I discovered is a form of dried beef. Looks like it is to be re-hydrated and added to scrambled eggs. Does anybody have other ideas? Also the jars of sal de mar con chile habanero appear to be coarse salt and something black. 

I'd appreciate help as these items are really foreign foods to me!
    Refreshed 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @RRP
    For the record, and fair warning, I can foresee myself hijacking this thread later tonight. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    SGH said:
    @RRP
    For the record, and fair warning, I can foresee myself hijacking this thread later tonight. 
    Why else would I refresh it?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SGH
    @RRP
    Beautiful moon out tonight.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    It's cloudy in central Alabama tonight,
  • SGH
    GregW said:
    It's cloudy in central Alabama tonight,
    Still a cool pic though.  

Status- Standing by.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    That’s not the moon I thought you’d post, @SGH
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Limp moon in the ATL tonight 
  • SGH
    thetrim said:
    That’s not the moon I thought you’d post, @SGH
    Well, I’m having an off night and I’m on my meds to boot. But there is always tomorrow my friend =)

Status- Standing by.

• SGH

Lit said:
    Limp moon in the ATL tonight 

Nice shot.  

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Here is one I took offshore 2 months ago. 

Thought that it was pretty cool. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Here is a couple from offshore too. They was took back in February or March. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @RRP
    Ron, I finally put the blower together and gave it a trial run. Way more power than my hand held blower. It really surprised me. Should of bought a backpack years ago. Oh well, live and learn as they say.  

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    SGH said:
    @RRP
    Ron, I finally put the blower together and gave it a trial run. Way more power than my hand held blower. It really surprised me. Should of bought a backpack years ago. Oh well, live and learn as they say.  

I have a heavily wooded lot and have used a Stihl BR 400 back pack for years now. Considering what the hired teams charge I easily paid for it in savings the first year! I was looking at a Stihl 600 or 700 when my 400 dies, which may not happen in my lifetime! Last month I bought and installed a new carburetor. 
  • SGH
    RRP said:
    I have a heavily wooded lot and have used a Stihl BR 400 back pack for years now. 
    I started to buy a Stihl myself. The only reason that I didn’t was I found a clearance sale on the Husqvarna 580. Just couldn’t pass on the price and a couple of free extras that they threw into the deal.  
    Both are top tier products. Can’t really go wrong either way. 

Status- Standing by.

• PSC
    PSC Posts: 148
    RRP said:
    Actually I thought the salt/pepper jars were all the same, but I was wrong! 
    1 original 
    1 con chile chipotle 
    1 con chile piquin 
    1 con chile habanero 

BTW my benefactor has since told me he just sprinkles these on his meat and smokes his steaks on his BGE. 

Those posting here with some knowledge of these products - I would really appreciate other uses which work for you!

The salts are just smoked sea salt with dried peppers
    Use them as normal sea salt, it gives food a smoked flavor and a tangy feeling because of the peppers

The carne seca can be used to make MACHACADO, ATROPELLADO or eaten as is, it is delicious

The candies, well, sweeten your tooth.

BTW, the SMP brand (Sociedad Mexicana de Parrilleros) is a company of some guy in Monterrey Mexico. He is a grill dealer of Primo, BGE and other brands.
    He has since manufactured a wide variety of rubs, salsas and salts and has lots of cooking classes in all of Mexico.

I'm from Monterrey, so any doubts PM me.