Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moving to the darkredside

Options

Comments

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    Costco still promotes the road show on their web site with events going through July. Not saying KJ isn't ending the relationship, but at least in the short term the events are continuing. 
    New Orleans LA
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Brason said:
    Brason said:
    I spoke to a KJ dealer in in SoCal. He told me that KJ is stopping the Costco Roadshows. According to him lot's of dealers complained and said they were going to stop carrying KJ and the company agreed to stop with Costco.
    @Brason That’s interesting. One of the reasons I went BGE was because I didn’t agree with the way the Costco deal crushed the regular KJ dealer. 

Having done way too much research on both, an MSRP KJ is going to be as much, if not more, than a comparable BGE set up. Curious to see if no Moreno Costco prices affects sales or not. 
    From what I was told KJ would not even let their dealers match the Costco price. That is what got everyone upset. I called every dealer around me. I would have bought from any of them if they could have matched the price. That's when I heard the story. 

We will see if stopping the Costco Roadshow hurts their sales. It may be better for them in the long run to just do the roadshows. Who knows only time will tell. Either way I am happy with my purchase.
    Yeah, because it was near dealer price.....way below the MAP they imposed on the regular dealers.  Not that they couldn't sell them legally, they just couldn't advertise them at that (nor take the loss on the shipping.)

There is a dealer here in STL that sits across the street from Coscto.  They had KJ's on order, couldn't get them, and people cancelled their orders to buy them at Costco.  The store owner told me he would have bought them out at Costco just so he didn't lose these customers (and so he had some in stock.)

Heard the same thing for 3+ years now via the dealers here.....they won't have road shows if they have a dealer nearby, it's temporary / last year for it, it's just to build the brand up.  Whatever, I still see them every few months at Costco.  If it works for them, good.....just state it.

But BGE lets unauthorized dealers sell BGE charcoal and such in STL, so they're not without fault either.  BGE dealers are not allowed to sell to other resellers, thus preventing unauthorized dealers from selling BGE branded products.  Yet this is permitted and circumvents us dealers.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@stlcharcoal As a BGE dealer, do you still have people buying BGE lump from you?  If so, you must just shake your head.  Kinda funny though.

Phoenix 
  • DFW
    DFW Posts: 208
    Options
    This XL was on sale at Sam’s this morning in Grapevine, TX.  $960 for an XL with Nest and Mates seems like a deal...

Arlington, TX
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    blasting said:

@stlcharcoal As a BGE dealer, do you still have people buying BGE lump from you?  If so, you must just shake your head.  Kinda funny though.

I have to stock it.....can't say anybody ever bought it though.  Considering ours in almost have the price in STL
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    I knew a chick in college that could do that. A freak of nature. 
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    How much of a savings is it to buy through Costco vs dealer for KJ?
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    KJ hinge punks BGE, have no idea about warranty claims. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    I knew a chick in college that could do that. A freak of nature. 
    I too, but not whiskey, but tall boy beers! I swear you could see the side of the cans collapse as she sucked down that beer! Sad thing though she drown after challenging a guy to a swimming race across a lake. The sick joke was "why didn't she just suck the lake dry and walk out on dry land?"
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I would get a KJ for sure over a BGE now. I’d get the Weber Summit charcoal before either. The “lifetime” warranty with the egg isn’t what it once was since they have been losing market share and obviously aren’t haven’t been keeping up with others recently. I have dealt with Weber warranty on a used Weber gasser I got like 10 years ago and they replaced pretty much the whole grill for free with very little hassle and just a serial number from the grill. The eggs “lifetime” warranty really is a hassle and pretty crappy the way they handle it through dealers. KJs warranty is much better how they ship it right to you and don’t make you wait on the dealers next shipment. 
  • RalphieBoy
    RalphieBoy Posts: 131
    Options
    I AGREE 100% with Gatraveler. Is there a KJ Forum.
    Large, Small, Mini Max & Mini.
    Wishlist XXL, XL & Medium 
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Dobie said:
    What's the appeal of this hinge??  So you can lift it with one finger......big deal......you can do that with the BGE too.  Unless you have a shoulder injury I fail to see why it was worth a $200 bump in the retail price.  I saw a guy who had it barely open (unlatched), the wind got under the dome, and nearly knocked the thing over (front wheels were off the ground.)  Plus, it sticks way the hell off the back of the grill, making harder to build a table for it or place it right up against a wall for storage.  I would rather have that $200 to spend on something else.  I don't buy into "improvements" that are not useful to me......at that point they're just "features" or "gimmicks" to me.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    As usual, @Lit makes a good point. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    edited June 2018
    Options
    They play nice at this DMZ in the GWN :)

btw, Meghan Markle bought her BGE from this place!
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi-hft_HO7P/ 

canuckland
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    I personally believe the focus of the hinge is safety. If a lid ever comes down on a finger your relaxing evening is over.
    Gittin' there...
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I like the hinge, but even if the hinge isn't all that, at least KJ is taking swings.

Phoenix 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Dobie said:
    What's the appeal of this hinge??  So you can lift it with one finger......big deal......you can do that with the BGE too.  Unless you have a shoulder injury I fail to see why it was worth a $200 bump in the retail price.  I saw a guy who had it barely open (unlatched), the wind got under the dome, and nearly knocked the thing over (front wheels were off the ground.)  Plus, it sticks way the hell off the back of the grill, making harder to build a table for it or place it right up against a wall for storage.  I would rather have that $200 to spend on something else.  I don't buy into "improvements" that are not useful to me......at that point they're just "features" or "gimmicks" to me.
    It’s well built, I don’t care about any table issues I use a nest. I can press 200 lbs overhead so there’s that. I was at Costco for the local RS recently, can get a better hinge, more standard grate options and the same size (XL size) for hundreds less. 
    BGE isn’t keeping up. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Lit said:
    The eggs “lifetime” warranty really is a hassle and pretty crappy the way they handle it through dealers. KJs warranty is much better how they ship it right to you and don’t make you wait on the dealers next shipment. 
    Depends on the dealer I guess.  We keep extra parts in stock and the ones we don't have, we'll rob out of the box of a new one.  Worst case, wait 2-3 weeks at most until our next order.  Oftentimes we will deliver as our truck is already out and about.

What gets me though, from a dealer standpoint, same margin as the other guys and we are required to handle the warranty claims.  We are also supposed to put these things together, deliver them, and teach the buyer to use them.  Not usually the case with the other guys.....minimal assembly, and super easy.  No worries having a customer do it themselves.  Some dealers charge for delivery/assembly, but for a $1300-2500 grill it's kind of embarrassing not to have that included.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    I personally believe the focus of the hinge is safety. If a lid ever comes down on a finger your relaxing evening is over.
    I'd argue its worse on safety as the wind can fling it open or slam it shut.  The BGE is over center, so its either open or closed, and in netween your hand is on the handle.

Its seen it, I've played with it.  Definitely works as advertised, but I don't see why it's this huge improvement.

Next they should put a big spoiler on the back of the nest or a power lift dome.  Would those be better "improvements" than putting the stainless steel bands & hardware back on them?
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I know it’s petty, but I will never buy the KJ because it’s red. It reminds me of UGA too much. THWG 
  • distanceman
    distanceman Posts: 138
    Options
    I know it’s petty, but I will never buy the KJ because it’s red. It reminds me of UGA too much. THWG 
    My friend just bought a KJ and he’s a Gators fan. The color is exactly why I want to buy one...Gooooo Dawgs! 
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • distanceman
    distanceman Posts: 138
    Options
    @stlcharcoal I am on the same page with you about the hinge. Yes, I think it’s a nice to have, but after messing around with a Big Joe and XL, I prefer the way the XL opens and seats back and down vs straight up on th KJ. 

I wont be surprised if the new airlift hinge eventually has issues—just like their older BJ hinge/Springs. 
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    The new KJ gaskets are nice.  @stlcharcoal on one hand I agree the extra $200 for the hinge might not be worth it.  On the other, while not having a perfectly aligned dome and base together doesn't hurt the food,  I do get a little envious when my KJ buddies can close it and no smoke comes out the sides...
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    I do like the gasket.  But that doesn't mean dome is perfectly aligned....if that was the case, you wouldn't need a gasket.  Having that big squishy gasket gives you some wiggle room which is nice.  I wish they would put it on the dome as I would hate get bbq sauce or something soaked into it.  I'm not to worried about smoke coming out the sides.....if it does, all I need is a 7/16" wrench and problem solved (or it comes out the side still.....no big deal.)  I just like that it doesn't burn up like the bge one, and hopefully doesn't need to be replaced, then replaced again and again.  Less maintenance is definitely an improvement.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    The new KJ gaskets are nice.  @stlcharcoal on one hand I agree the extra $200 for the hinge might not be worth it.  On the other, while not having a perfectly aligned dome and base together doesn't hurt the food,  I do get a little envious when my KJ buddies can close it and no smoke comes out the sides...
    It should be noted that the price increase wasn't just due to the hinge. Upgrades included the hinge, the new cap, the new style firebox, and the new type of gasket.

A couple hundred bucks for all those seems reasonable, however, that does price a KJ to about the same price as the BGE L's/XL's.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Yet to hear of a dome vs. finger injury. There’s always a first though.

In which case I would strongly recommend a Traeger or sticking with cooking indoors. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Of the things to worry about when cooking with fire, a trapped finger comes pretty low down the list, especially when the handle layout means you are well clear anyway.
  • DFW
    DFW Posts: 208
    Options
    The new gaskets are on the top and bottom:

Arlington, TX
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    caliking said:
    Yet to hear of a dome vs. finger injury. There’s always a first though.

In which case I would strongly recommend a Traeger or sticking with cooking indoors. 
    It happened,

Don't recall the number of stitches the unfortunate individual required, but the new hinge design prototypes did appear shortly afterwards.
    Gittin' there...