Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to Get High Temperature with Placesetter in

Options
Hello, I'm sure this question has been asked but looking for some advise - we have a hard time getting the temperature up very high when we have the placesetter in.  We make sure we clear the ashes and have the vent open and daisy wheel open - are we supposed to be able to reach temps higher than say 350 with place setter in?  Or does it have to be out?  When making pizzas - should we have place setter in???  Thanks for any help you can offer!

Patty
Big Green Egg Newbie
Maryland

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I do it all the time, rarely take it out...5 to 600 pretty quick and that's about where I do a clean burn and with it in....

I will,leave it in for a reverse sear as well, just don't like handling it hot and works fine with it in 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Pizza...

Temp..

Platesetter (or some indirect piece) must be used. You need something to keep the extreme heat off the bottom of the pizza stone. You can see mine above, though barely. Then some spacers to raise the pizza stone up into the dome.

As for why you can't get it hotter, It HAS to be airflow or not enough lump. Make sure small pieces of lump aren't clogging the fire grate. Try poking a bent coat hanger up thru the lower vent. Wiggle it around to open some air gaps.

Also, completely remove the daisy wheel.

Hope this helps!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ScarletFire
    Options
    Bottom wide open and daisy wheel off I can get to 600 with the place setter pretty quick. I put the daisy wheel back on at this point and depending on breeze or not start adjusting the wheel to keep temp between 600-650. Usually keep bottom wide open and use the top to adjust temp. This is the technique I use for a pizza cook. 
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Options
    Legs up for low and slow...legs down for much higher temps.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Maybe your lump has a high humidity content?
    But normally it's from lack of sufficient air flow or just not starting with enough lump.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    What size egg do you have? I know of a few owners of small eggs that have had that problem. Are you starting out with enough lump? You can load it up almost to the plate setter.
  • PattyG
    PattyG Posts: 22
    Options
    What size egg do you have? I know of a few owners of small eggs that have had that problem. Are you starting out with enough lump? You can load it up almost to the plate setter.
    I have the large.  
    Patty
    Big Green Egg Newbie
    Maryland
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Try loading lump fully and start fire in three places
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    You have an airflow issue somewhere. I leave the daisy wheel on and easily get to 600 which is about where I do pizzas. I just light in one place too. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Is your fire box lined up properly? When you look into the bottom vent the big hole on the side of the fire box should be in line with the vent.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    Positioning plate-setter (legs up or down) outside the fire ring notches also helps.
    canuckland
  • PattyG
    Options
    Thanks everyone for quick answers
    Patty
    Big Green Egg Newbie
    Maryland
  • PattyG
    Options
    Is your fire box lined up properly? When you look into the bottom vent the big hole on the side of the fire box should be in line with the vent.
    I’m not sure
    Patty
    Big Green Egg Newbie
    Maryland
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    You could always turbo charge your egg with an electric fan blowing air into the bottom vent.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Pizza...

Temp..

Platesetter (or some indirect piece) must be used. You need something to keep the extreme heat off the bottom of the pizza stone. You can see mine above, though barely. Then some spacers to raise the pizza stone up into the dome.

As for why you can't get it hotter, It HAS to be airflow or not enough lump. Make sure small pieces of lump aren't clogging the fire grate. Try poking a bent coat hanger up thru the lower vent. Wiggle it around to open some air gaps.

Also, completely remove the daisy wheel.

Hope this helps!

...And in addition to the above, use bigger pieces of lump and try to avoid having small bits fill the air pockets. Save the small stuff for low and slows. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options

Positioning plate-setter (legs up or down) outside the fire ring notches also helps.
    Never considered this, but it’s a good idea.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Calibrate your thermometer!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• demo
    demo Posts: 163
    Options
    I agree with the post about the firebox being lined up properly.  Your problem, has to be air flow.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Air flow, air flow, air flow.   The daisy wheel will limit the top temp. The top temp will depend on the size of your egg and which version of daisy wheel you have.  Reported top temps with the daisy wheel in place vary but often stated around 350-450º.  If you want high temps, cook without the daisy wheel.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• bikesAndBBQ
    Options
    I have a large and never take the daisy off and easily get to 600+. My thermometer is calibrated too. It may take me longer to get to 600+ with it on and fully open, but I get there. I think the manual says to never cook with it off. That is why I never take it off when cooking. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @PattyG: A few times I've had trouble getting the temps very high because ash had built up between the fire box and the outer wall of the Egg, and it was that "invisible" ash that was impeding air flow.  You might want to (very carefully--they break easily if dropped) remove the fire ring and the fire box and clean out any ash in the Egg.  Then carefully put the fire box back, making sure the opening in it directly faces the vent opening, put the fire ring back, and you should be in business.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    I think the manual says to never cook with it off. That is why I never take it off when cooking. 
    I've never heard that one. In the old days, they didn't even HAVE DFMTs, just the green ceramic caps. I almost never use mine.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bikesAndBBQ
    Options
    I think the manual says to never cook with it off. That is why I never take it off when cooking. 
    I've never heard that one. In the old days, they didn't even HAVE DFMTs, just the green ceramic caps. I almost never use mine.
    I never knew they used to not come with one. That explains why some never use them. I had to look it up to make sure I wasn’t talking out of my butt like normal. It is in the manual to never cook with it removed.  Second page about half way down. 
    http://www.biggreenegg.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/2012_Online_Manual.pdf
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I only use the daisy wheel when going low and slow.  Keep the top naked and regulate air flow with bottom vent only.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    I never knew they used to not come with one. That explains why some never use them. I had to look it up to make sure I wasn’t talking out of my butt like normal. It is in the manual to never cook with it removed.  Second page about half way down. 
    http://www.biggreenegg.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/2012_Online_Manual.pdf
    Ah, the lawyer's page (Caution, burning charcoal can be hot...).

"DO NOT ATTEMPT TO COOK WITH THE PATENTED DFMT REMOVED. Your egg will accelerate to very hot temperatures quickly and you cannot control temperature without the adjustable cap in place."

Ironic considering the subject of this thread, eh? =) I've been "controlling the temperature without the cap" for a good 5-6 years now.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I have a SFMT.  Definitely limits high temps.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.