Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dual Kababs (chicken kabab wrapped in beef kabab)

zahulio
zahulio Posts: 135
This was my first attempt at making Dual Kababs. Cooked indirect at 400 degrees until IT was 165.
Wrote more about the technique at halalpitmasters.com

The flavor was excellent.
Unfortunately, the kababs came out brittle, and fell apart easily (as you can tell from the picture below)

Comments

• Did you use any type of binder to try to hold the meat together?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • you could try to brush a little egg wash on the inside kebab and see if that will bind the outside kebab a little better. Or you could get modern with it and use meat glue. That will fix you up for sure. 

Transglutaminase Meat Glue - RM Formula - 50g2oz
  • zahulio
    Did you use any type of binder to try to hold the meat together?
    bread crumbs , which seemed to help.
  • zahulio

you could try to brush a little egg wash on the inside kebab and see if that will bind the outside kebab a little better. Or you could get modern with it and use meat glue. That will fix you up for sure. 

Never heard to moo gloo before. Thanks for the info!
  • zahulio said:

you could try to brush a little egg wash on the inside kebab and see if that will bind the outside kebab a little better. Or you could get modern with it and use meat glue. That will fix you up for sure. 

Never heard to moo gloo before. Thanks for the info!
    Works great to bond proteins. You can get it on Amazon for like $15 or something like that. Will last you forever. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Cool idea to try!

one lesson learned during our sausage making sub-venture, was that mixing/kneading the meat releases myosin (I think) which helps the meat bind. Worth a shot to see if it works with beef. 

Mix the meat by hand until a golf ball size lump of it sticks to your palm when inverted. You could also mix with a KitchenAid if making a large batch. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:
    Cool idea to try!

one lesson learned during our sausage making sub-venture, was that mixing/kneading the meat releases myosin (I think) which helps the meat bind. Worth a shot to see if it works with beef. 

Mix the meat by hand until a golf ball size lump of it sticks to your palm when inverted. You could also mix with a KitchenAid if making a large batch. 
    Good call
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Thanks again for the meat glue, Cen-Tex.  I still have some.  I think I almost got Travis in trouble sending white powder to him while he was in the Army. 
    Also, grinding the meat fine will possibly work best. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    caliking said:
    Also, grinding the meat fine will possibly work best. 
    Yes.  And meat plus salt = glue
    Mix in a well beaten egg?  Sounds delicious.  I love that kind of food.
    Virginia Beach, VA