Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Amazon packaging

KennyCJR
KennyCJR Posts: 262
Got a new Victorinox 12” slicing knife today, shipped from Amazon.  When I got the box, it measured 30”x6”x6” and was packed full of paper and bubble wrap.  Figured the wife added a little something extra to the order, being that it’s a late Father’s Day gift.  Nope...it was just wasted packing.  Needless to say, the knife arrived just fine.  =)

Llano, TX   -  Med and XL BGE’s

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

I think Amazon knows that we get more excited with a bigger box.

Phoenix 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    dopey said:
    blasting said:

Bigger box never excited me.
    Some of us can handle a bigger box just fine, some of you can't.
  • blasting

Dad forgot to log off again?  lol

Phoenix 
  • blasting said:

Help me find my keys...
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    I just got a set of challenge coins, representing the five services, from the White House Gift Shop, on sale for $19!!  
    It came in a shipping box about the size of a backpack, tightly taped, bubble wrap and cardboard dividers inside, finer bubble wrap over the presentation box (about 1" x 5" x 5"), but of course no padding in the presentation box so the coins all came loose and bounced against each other, no harm done.  

And on the very same day I get the set of five, doofus introduces a "Space Force" so my coin set is obsolete already.  Gah.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
    Gloves that arrived today. Huge box.

• tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    I've read about this before. Their box choices are carefully calculated based on shipping requirements and packing efficiency. That's why you get boxes that are unnecessarily large sometimes.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I've read about this before. Their box choices are carefully calculated based on shipping requirements and packing efficiency. That's why you get boxes that are unnecessarily large sometimes.
    Exactly. They intentionally limit the box size
    selection. It is ultimately a cost savings and in some ways more efficient. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    It's "dim weight."  Years ago UPS & Fedex implement dimensional weight (mainly because of Amazon).  Before, you could ship a huge box full of packing peanuts for dirt cheap because you were paying by weight.  Now, you have to multiply the dims of the box and divide by 139.  Before Amazon and ecommerce, their trucks had a lot more room.

To give you an idea of bulk density, lump charcoal is right about there.  Our boxes are usually just shy of the weight limit.  A 3-bag box is 24x17x25 @ 66-68#, but it gets a dim weight of 74#.  If we could shave one or two inches off, it would work, but then the boxes would bulge a get caught by the scanners anyway.

So that knife was definitely more expensive to ship.  But maybe they didn't have a box long enough or it was entered into the computer wrong.  The software chooses the boxes in these fulfillment centers.  I've been in a few of them and they are fascinating.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    It's "dim weight."  Years ago UPS & Fedex implement dimensional weight (mainly because of Amazon).  Before, you could ship a huge box full of packing peanuts for dirt cheap because you were paying by weight.  Now, you have to multiply the dims of the box and divide by 139.  Before Amazon and ecommerce, their trucks had a lot more room.

To give you an idea of bulk density, lump charcoal is right about there.  Our boxes are usually just shy of the weight limit.  A 3-bag box is 24x17x25 @ 66-68#, but it gets a dim weight of 74#.  If we could shave one or two inches off, it would work, but then the boxes would bulge a get caught by the scanners anyway.

So that knife was definitely more expensive to ship.  But maybe they didn't have a box long enough or it was entered into the computer wrong.  The software chooses the boxes in these fulfillment centers.  I've been in a few of them and they are fascinating.

Not sure why anyone flagged you for this but, thanks for the insight!

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Here's a similar wasted postage and packing. All that for that tiny ice maker auger in the middle! BTW I have that slicer as well and I love it!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739

make a package deal, 3 bags and some wood chips, fill that box up =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    Surely that flag was in error @blasting
  • blasting
    Surely that flag was in error @blasting

It was, thanks.  Sorry @stlcharcoal .

I think an email should be sent to you when you flag / off topic / disagree.

Phoenix 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    make a package deal, 3 bags and some wood chips, fill that box up =)
     70# [actual] weight is the limit on ups and fedex before they hit you with a big fee for "additional handling".  They have a size limit too for additional handling, but I forget what it is.

Btw, which is total BS because it's not like a second person is helping or their driver is doing anything different.  He's still stuck handling it by himself at drop off (we always help load the truck though.)  It probably just goes in their piggy bank for all the back injury claims they get.  

Our usually Monday outbound load.....that fills half the truck easily.

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    blasting said:

Help me find my keys...
    Can I borrow your flashlight?
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
    I thought of this thread when I got my 2 1/2 inch large cast iron pizza pans.
     The box also contained a book, and a DVD. That’s it :-) 

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    GrillSgt said:
    blasting said:

Help me find my keys...
    Can I borrow your fleshlight?
    FTFY

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Not exactly related to Amazon using too big of a box, check out Amazon's "frustration free packaging."
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    I’m so confused.  I’m supposed to love Amazon and order grills from them because they don’t sell towels and have a kick-ass return policy, but hate them because of the packaging.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Legume said:
    I’m so confused.  I’m supposed to love Amazon and order grills from them because they don’t sell towels and have a kick-ass return policy, but hate them because of the packaging.

Correct. I've also heard their fresh ground meats are exquisite. 1 pound comes in a 3ft by 3ft box for easy consolidation.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Legume said:
    All the extra cardboard because we buy so much from Amazon instead of brick and mortar is not all bad, at least we now have something to put on the ships that are headed back to China.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Legume said:
    All the extra cardboard because we buy so much from Amazon instead of brick and mortar is not all bad, at least we now have something to put on the ships that are headed back to China.
    But they aren't taking any of it back right now.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Legume said:
    But they aren't taking any of it back right now.
    Good. Since the economy crashed like Paul Krugman and many other liberals said would happen if Trump won, all of the newly homeless people can live in the boxes.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Politicized shipping thread.
  • I can live with it.

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Image result for cardboard box gif
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• I thought of this thread when I got my 2 1/2 inch large cast iron pizza pans.

Same here, box was destroyed, a little shocked at the lack of normal packing.
    XL, 2-Lg, Mini, 36" Blackstone (Formerly CM23)
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
    I thought of this thread when I got my 2 1/2 inch large cast iron pizza pans.

Same here, box was destroyed, a little shocked at the lack of normal packing.
    And the book didn’t have even a wrinkled page.... bizarre...

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!