Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Do you wear an Apron when you egg, work in your shop/garage, etc?

Comments

• "Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• I did NOT do quality research apparently 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    Depends on the clothes I am wearing.  Always wear one when frying.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I wear my Roy Rogers apron from my first(real) job, when I actually remember. Most often when frying or baking.
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348

I think since its waxed coated It isn’t as clingy so it can get a breeze. 
    If that ain’t sexy, I don’t know what is. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • nlovold
    nlovold Posts: 194
    No disrespect @RRP .  I expected to see this pic when reading the thread, as it always makes me smile.

• I wasnt going there but its the first thing I thought of

Little Rock, AR

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    the joker GIF
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    RRP said:
    nlovold said:
    No disrespect @RRP .  I expected to see this pic when reading the thread, as it always makes me smile.

Thanks - now for the newbies here please let me explain.  This style apron is what my Father wore for several years when he was a "farrier" in his blacksmith shop in Iowa in the 40's and 50's.

I bought this one and wear it PROUDLY in memory of my Father.

Cool story and way to honor your dad! Blacksmithing is one of my dream jobs.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    RRP said:
    nlovold said:

Thanks - now for the newbies here please let me explain.  This style apron is what my Father wore for several years when he was a "farrier" in his blacksmith shop in Iowa in the 40's and 50's.

You may want to consider living somewhere a bit cooler before you make the leap.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Legume said:
    RRP said:
    nlovold said:

You may want to consider living somewhere a bit cooler before you make the leap.
     Fair point! The other day I went to do a low&slow and my egg was at 150, with no lump.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    I have a lot of aprons and only wear one about 5% of the time 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    It seems the tie strings at the waist on mine have some how gotten much shorter over the years.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    I try to. I have a few actually. I keep forgetting to put them on until after I have ruined a shirt.
    Kind of like "I cut it twice, and it is still to short" mentality.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    i dont have any clothes fancy enough to protect =)  12 black pocketed and no pocket work tees with the company logo, pretty much all i wear
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I never used to until I started Blacksmithing.  After working in the shop with one I kinda got used to it and appreciate the benefits so it sort of bled over into cooking.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    I use one when frying or searing something, also when I'm restoring cast iron skillets. My apron is a black Chef Works with adjustable neck strap. 
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2018
    Mine are all Chef Works too... my wife works in facility service sales so she brings home a ton of sample aprons, kitchen towels, anti-fatigue mats etc. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
    I put on my protective gear.

Image result for daft punk

do it lower - smoke it slower 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    I never used to until I started Blacksmithing.  After working in the shop with one I kinda got used to it and appreciate the benefits so it sort of bled over into cooking.

If you're ever so inclined to start a thread on the subject, I think it would be interesting.

Phoenix 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited June 2018
    This all kinda started for me weeks ago when I got my Blackstone. I had just gotten it seasoned the day before and then the next morning woke up, took a shower and got ready and put on the brand new Columbia t-shirt my wife bought me. Went out and cooked breakfast and within 5min of putting the bacon down It started splattering grease all over me and my patio. Ruined a brand new shirt. Then a couple days later I was cooking a brisket point and when I was removing it from the egg I guess I wasn't paying attention and got brisket grease all over another shirt. As I said I've ruined at least 4-5 nice shirts. Ive since gone to wearing my crappy mowing clothes when I cook but that probably doesn't look that presentable when I have guests over. I think I will try one of those Hudson's out. They look nice, plus I can wear it when I do woodwork.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    My wife would submit me to a psych ward if I showed up rocking an apron when cooking. She would than expect me to change clothes when out working in the garage. When I start something out in the garage the last thing I'm thinking about is my clothes. Plus the apron would look too classy for my wardrobe I'm wearing. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SonVolt
    edited June 2018
    Keep in mind, when it's swamp ass season a heavy apron isn't going to be too comfortable. If I were you I'd stick with a reasonably thin black machine-washable fabric.  Chef Works is the shiit and has huge pockets for toting stuff in and out of the house. 

https://www.amazon.com/Chef-Works-Stripe-34-25-Inch-27-Inch/dp/B002JM15Z6/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1529508503&sr=8-8&keywords=chef+works+apron
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831

When I stated I wanted one to my wife last night she said and I quote "Wow, someone thinks they are Guy Fieri"  I shook my head and walked away.....

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
    edited June 2018
    Get a cooking apron you can throw in the laundry

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• SonVolt
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    edited June 2018
    Yup, wear a nice Georgia Bulldogs one every time I’m on the Egg. Handy to throw my Thermopen and a rag in the pocket, and saves me from getting grease, ash, etc. on my clothes. Got tired of staining clothes and tired of changing just to grill.  

Folks make fun of me, but candidly, I couldn’t care less. 

man that is one ugly apron =)
    It was found in the $1 clearance bin. THWG